84 postsPage 1 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
EDIT: New thread started because this is a clusterbleep!

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=50558&p=297316#p297316

Not sure if it's ok to post this here, but I'ma try anyways. I do feel that this is up our alley for computer based recording.

Particularly with higher gain amp sim settings, but not limited to that, I'm getting really too much noise at times. This "newer" computer (with a shielded Corsair case) is brutal at times, even with lower gain settings. Both my lappy and my older computer (also a shielded Corsair case) are not even as bad. Here is what I've tried, and what I'm thinking about:

-Just so you know, I use a gate of some kind (at the beginning of the chain or maybe sometimes in the amp sim) and of course that works when you are not playing. Some work better than others, but I think there has to be something else I can do.

-It's not restricted to "move further away" from the computer. In fact, I've moved the computer pretty far away and still have the problem. However, if I back off, it gets better in its "current" position (under part of my desk). Confused? So am I! Twisting around does change, so the interference is definitely there. BTW, ALL of my instruments do this, I seriously doubt that they are so badly shielded that I need to do all the cavities, but I guess it's possible. Please, not with all the "cable" talk, I can guarantee you that that is NOT the problem. People get hung up on that, I don't want to start that war :lol:

-This MOBO has a "lighting" section that has me quite suspicious. But, I have all the stuff turned off (there are no lights on) Really not sure if this is helping. I'm going to talk with a couple of places about this as it's really the only thing that makes any real sense. Maybe something is still on like some kind of transformer? I'm not tech illiterate, but I'm not that nerdy.

-I've tried EVERY outlet and turning things off and on. Monitor, controllers, type of soundcard, USB inputs, (yes different cables) you name it, definitely not the problem. Oh BTW, I've also had this computer in several different rooms, so that isn't it either.

-I DO think that certain lights and appliances can make it worse. I have not been able to isolate anything though as of yet. This house was built in 1996 and all the power comes from underground.

That leads me to: Power conditioners.

I've never had one, I have no idea if it will help. There isn't really anything I can find on the web as far as people doing before and after. The only one I found was someone using a real amp, and for him, it didn't work. There are a ton of options, but all the mumbo jumbo doesn't mean anything to me other than if will cut down on that noise/interference. My suspicion is that it will not and will be a quick return, but it's been driving me a little bonkers so wanted to do a reality check and see.
Last edited by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bye......:roll:
by SwitchBack on Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:05 pm
Grounding and ground loops would be my first guess (OK, 2 guesses). Also, because instrument connections are not balanced the whole instrument including the cable shield and sometimes the one playing the instrument can act as an antenna for electro-magnetic noise. Solving that can be hard, removing the source(s) of the noise can be even harder.

So start with grounding your computer (test the socket ground and connect a wire to the computer case if the power cable doesn't provide that connection). Then experiment with grounding the instrument (at first only to see if the noise goes away or changes) and/or experiment with wearing a ground strap when playing (same premise). The results will help determining how to proceed.
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:08 pm
I have one of those ground checker thingies, and it says everything is fine.

Remember, the lappy and the older computer are not as bad. It's impossible to get rid of it completely, I know that. But this computer in particular seems to have something that is worse.

by SwitchBack on Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:18 pm
Some switched mode power supplies in computers can be terrible both for noise fed into the computer as for relying on a very solid ground connection to keep the computer ground from floating or being noisy. If the computer is the one element that makes the difference then that's where I would look first.

Also note that a well grounded case doesn't automatically mean that all components inside are adequately grounded too (where needed for clean audio). Yours wouldn't be the first computer with a few dearly needed ground straps missing :(
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:56 pm
That's something I'll bring up with the place that had to put it together (long story, don't ask :lol: )

It's a seasonic PSU and an ASUS board. Type of graphics card doesn't matter, again, long story why I know :roll:

by SwitchBack on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:23 pm
All components matter in that they take the PSU closer to its rated maximum output currents. The closer you get to those limits the 'dirtier' the output voltages will become. So yeah, one more thing to check...

PS. Always liked Asus :)
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:37 pm
Yeah, ASUS, everything works great, now :lol: I had a TERRIBLE time with newegg and finally getting this built. Should have been able to do it myself :evil:

I can't get on with sweetwater right now (maintenance), I'll be curious to see if they actually have a clue OR if they try and put the sales squeeze on to buy something. Power conditioners, necessary for playing live, but would it actually help here?????? Only the gremlin gnomes of the computer know for sure.

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:48 pm
Ah, got through to sweetwater, and I've sent an email to "tech2u" though I'm doubtful they will have any answers.

by SwitchBack on Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:57 pm
OK, I'd be interested to hear what they come up with (other than trying to sell you yet another piece of kit :lol: ).
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:53 pm
SwitchBack wroteOK, I'd be interested to hear what they come up with (other than trying to sell you yet another piece of kit :lol: ).

"Tech2u" (a surprising little company very local) got back and want to send a tech over. Not really sure about that right now. I don't think those guys are musicians and really don't know what I'm talking about.

Mark from sweetwater got back, and hasn't tried to sell me anything, but I don't think we are on the same page yet ;) We'll see.

BTW, thanks for writing this stuff, maybe nothing will happen and I'll just have to suffer, but every once in a while it might lead to something.

by Vocalpoint on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:10 pm
Reggie

I have battled all of your woes above. Even have the Seasonic powering my ASUS motherboards. And yes - everything runs through pro level Furman power conditioning. But there is a lot to be said about grounding.

Over here - for years I was using a RME Multiface II with the standard PCI-e card that installed to the computer. My guitars all ran thru my trusty POD HD Pro X with standard instrument cables into a couple of inputs on the Multiface. Basicially a buzzing bees nest of issues that could not be solved.

Flash forward to 2022 - where I use a brand new RME UCX-II - that is rackmounted and connects to the PC via a single USB cable. My guitars still run thru my trusty POD HD Pro X but now use SPDIF out (of the POD Pro X) and go to SPDIF IN (on the RME) - and now I get beautiful silence. I do still hear the very slight occasional buzz here and there due to the Fender pickups but it's 99.99% better than it was

Cannot remember where I read this, but SPDIF seems to nullify all the nasties associated with grounding and connecting with standard cables. (even tho it makes little sense as it's still a plug that "should" display grounding issues if present)

That said - with this new UCX-II - I can also just plug my Strat directly into one of the UCX-II's front panel Line/Instr connections and things are totally quiet that way too.

One other thing that might also be playing a role is that I have the left side gear in my rack plugged into one power conditioner (where the PC and UCX-II both reside) and the right side (with all the guitar processors and preamps) have a conditioner of their own as well.

Finally - I ensure that all rack mounted gear ears are fitted with special "shoulder washers" that form a plastic channel for the rack screws so the gear housing never actually touches the rack rails when mounted. These washers are installed on every piece of rack gear I have.

After all this - my guitars are quiet.

But IMHO anytime you hear nasty noise from a guitar - it's almost certain you have a ground loop (or lighting - especially dimmers) that are creating the bees nest of noise.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:20 pm
Yeah, I hear ya. Now, I don't have any of "those" lights that easily cause issues (though I'd really like a lava lamp! :D )

It's a bit early in the game, but a power conditioner is looking like a try, if for no other reason than to be sure I'm getting the cleanest power. Plus, it's definitely not a bad idea anyways.

I had the babyface pro and it was a thing as well. I'm only "in the box" ... no outboard processors. So spidif isn't a thing for me.

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:36 pm
Heard back again from sweetwater and, got the sale pitch :lol: Naw, he's probably right and he only recommended this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -pl-8c-15a

Not a pricey one. I had also looked at the "black lion" stuff but I'm guessing they don't have that tried-true reputation yet ;)

by SwitchBack on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:48 pm
Well, the beauty is that if it doesn't work you can send it back. Happy to be proven wrong, just, with what you described I don't think the conditioner will fix it.
by Vocalpoint on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:56 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteHeard back again from sweetwater and, got the sale pitch :lol: Naw, he's probably right and he only recommended this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -pl-8c-15a

Not a pricey one. I had also looked at the "black lion" stuff but I'm guessing they don't have that tried-true reputation yet ;)

Hey - same as what I have here - they are workhorses but like I described earlier - I have had these for 15 years now - my guitars still made a ton of noise with them until I stumbled upon whatever I did here recently to quiet things down.

These will not silence ground loops if your cabling still is still creating them.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:55 pm
You're almost certainly correct, but since it's been an issue with pretty much every computer (well, oddly the lappy doesn't really do it) and a variety of different instruments, cables and such, I think it's worth a try.

Worst case scenario is it's better than having things directly plugged into the wall, or I can send it back.

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:08 pm
Looks like it's disco'ed (that's why it's at a great price)

But, my gain. That price and 24 mo no-interest financing, I'm rolling the dice ;) Probably won't make that much of a difference if any, but it's worth the very small risk. Maybe it will at least clean up when the dryer/etc is running and it's worse.

by ianaeillo on Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:58 am
My mixing space is in a building built in the 1920s. The power is just okay and I noticed an issue almost immediately upon moving in. A client going direct to the interface had a Klark Teknik DN100 and it completely cleared up *all* of the noise. It was unbelievably clean. I purchased four of them almost immediately. I’ve never had an issue with noise since.

Studio One Pro 5.5, Studio One Pro 6.12, Faderport 16, Faderport Classic (1.45), Metric Halo ULN-8 MKIV, Presonus Quantum, Presonus Quantum 2, Ferrofish Pulse 16, (2) Digimax DP88, Audient ASP800, BLA HD192, 27-Inch Late 2012 3.2GHZ i5 32 GB 1600 DDR3, 2Tb SSD, 10.13.6 High Sierra + 10.14 Mojave + Windows 10
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:11 am
Oh wow, those are really inexpensive. Even amazon has that, but it's not a "prime" purchase so I don't know exactly when it would be delivered. Probably before the Furman.

by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:40 am
Ok, bought that too (and I needed a little XLR/XLR cable)

I do not have high hopes, but again, it's not breaking the bank, likely can't hurt, and it's all returnable.

84 postsPage 1 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5