20 posts
Page 1 of 1
What I have now is an HP 27" monitor. It's fine with reading glasses, but I have room (and a little cash) for a bigger one. (see my specs below, and it's fair to mention that I'm HDMI and just using the i5 video, I'll elaborate why if you feel the need) I'd really like something where I can see better (I'm old :lol: ) I do NOT like dual monitors, so it would be an apple to apple swap (er, not "apple" ;) )

Not that long ago, much of the software I was using wasn't compatible with larger screens. In fact I tried a 30some inch screen and it looked like POOP. "Allegedly" , this isn't the case anymore and plugs/hosts (I use the Reason Rack quite a bit) have been updated to address this issue. BUT, I don't really know :roll:

So, am I blowing into the wind, or is this a feasible thing considering my specs?

Bye......:roll:
by BobF on Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:44 pm
I went from side x side 22" 1920s to a 43" 4K quite a while ago. I chose this size to keep the PPI the same, so that on screen stuff would appear the same size at the distance.

43" is physically too large for me. I end up using the lower 2/3s most of the time :D

I've been eye-balling the 30-32" range options, but I'm not ready to jump yet.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by jBranam on Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:13 pm
thinking about a 27" 1440p myself

cheers

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by vasilykorytov on Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:05 pm
just set it to the scaling you'd like. my 4k 27" is set up to 250% scaling, my 24" 1440p is set to 150%, I think.

seriously, try that before investing in one more monitor. yeah, scaling problems were a thing in the past, but now it's been some years since everything should work. provided, you don't have some ancient unsupported OS, Studio One or plugins. if you'll have a problem, just support a bug report to the vendor, but hopefully you won't.

I think, you weren't referring to Mac, as on Apple's side it's a bit more tricky. on the PC side the last scaling problems I've seen were years ago.

by vasilykorytov on Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:24 pm
jBranam wrotethinking about a 27" 1440p myself

well, it really depends on your eyes, but you might find out, this combination 'looks like poop' as the OP noticed with some 30" monitor (I hope, it wasn't a 1080p. those exist).

if you want good text rendering, 4k for 27" is pretty nice. 1440p is kinda acceptable for 23-24", but compared to a more high-resolution display you'll notice the text looking mushy. a 27" QHD might have been the state of art in 2011, but a decade later we have much better displays. the whole 'retina' thing is a decade old, in fact.

don't get a low-resolution display, in fact, a high-resolution display with scaling set up to your taste will give you better image quality. you just need to try it once and you'll believe.

but also please note that getting a monitor with resolution beyond the capabilities of your video adapter or HDMI version also makes no sense, so a 8k 27" might be worse than a 4k. but provided your system can run a 4k display (and you're on the PC side), the 4k is a sweet spot for 27-30".

by reggie1979beatz on Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:49 pm
Yeah, as far as "looks good" , it's hard to beat this monitor. BUT even with reading glasses, some things are like "WTH am I looking at here?????? " :lol:

It's great that so many plugs give size options but I do struggle at times (it sucks to get old :roll: )

They "say" I have 20/20 vision, CLEARLY (pun? ) they do not take into consideration how small and fine some things are! :evil:

by Fornicras on Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:51 am
I use a 34" Curved 4K Samsung Monitor with 125% scaling and Studio One looks fantastic on it.

Using Studio One 6 (Always the latest version)

System
i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, 2080TI, 34" 4K Display & 55" 4K Professional Display, Windows 10
Studio I/O
Lewitt LCT-440, Yamaha HS7, PreSonus Studio 1824c, Beyerdynamics DT1990, Audio Technica M50X
Studio Gear
Arturia Keylab 88 MK2, Atom Pad, Atom SQ
Instruments
Cordoba GK Studio, Takamine GJ72CE, Godin Session, Yamaha F310

R&B Singer / Songwriter / Producer
Website
by lawajava on Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:46 am
Fornicras wroteI use a 34" Curved 4K Samsung Monitor with 125% scaling and Studio One looks fantastic on it.

I use a similar monitor (34” curved LG) with 100% scaling. Either way, the larger monitor is a joy.

Studio One Pro latest, Macbook Pro M3 Max, 64GB. 10TB SSD. Babyface Pro audio interface. KRK VXT8 Monitors, Avantone Mixcubes, NI Maschine Jam, NI Komplete Kontrol S88, S61 and S49 and S25, Guitars, Bass. Main mic is Shure SM7db.
by Vocalpoint on Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:50 am
Been using my trusty 40inch Samsung TV for S1 for 5 years now.

In the market now for a newer 4K Smart TV to replace it as this Samsung is circa 2009.

Won't go back to a normal computer monitor now.

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by vasilykorytov on Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:31 am
reggie1979beatz wroteYeah, as far as "looks good" , it's hard to beat this monitor. BUT even with reading glasses, some things are like "WTH am I looking at here?????? " :lol:

It's great that so many plugs give size options but I do struggle at times (it sucks to get old :roll: )

you totally missed my main point. set the display scaling in Windows settings right, so everything will be bigger and remain looking nice.

if you currently have a 27" 4k, it should be like 200% scaling by default. if you select 300%, it will make everything 50% bigger.

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:08 pm
I'll check it out :)

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:10 pm
Oh yeah, I see! Thanks.

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:06 am
Yeah, I dunno, it's not looking good. LG is an "ok" brand but my last one literally broke :roll: Right at the base! Could have really done some damage :evil:

Samsung? I have a really old 23" and again, it's "ok" I guess.

I REALLY would like an HP again. EDIT: Here's one that might be good:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-m3 ... hd-monitor

Good price too.

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:42 pm
Just ordered one. I love this HP so got a 32" from Amazon for 195. Can't wait!

by nathanielwalker2 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:01 am
jBranam wrotethinking about a 27" 1440p myself

cheers

1440p at 100% Scaling on a 27" panel looks about the same as 1080p at 100% scaling on a 24-25" panel.

Considering you can get some 27" UHD (IPS) Displays for $199, these days, I think I'd prefer to go for that and run it at 150-175% scaling - whatever floats your boat.

If you do any video editing, definitely go straight to UHD.

If you game then that may not be feasible (unless you have some ridiculous GPU or only play casual games).

The only reason I'd think about getting a 1440p over UHD at that size, is to get a higher frame rate... cause going back to 60Hz is very noticeable to me. All of my displays and laptop panels are 120-240Hz.

Last time I was in Wal Mart, they had WQHD Ultrawide Samsung IPS displays on sale for $229. At that price, kind of a no-brainer if you want to go beyond FHD, but don't feel like running multiple monitors on your desk (waste of power, more heat, etc.).
by lawajava on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:10 am
On topic, but different take.

I wear glasses. I noticed I was struggling to read some of the parameters on the screen. I measured the distance between my eye and the monitor. When I was getting my next eye-glasses prescription I asked the opthamologist to write me an extra prescription for that distance (which was 36”) and she tested me for that distance and then wrote that.

I bought an extra pair of glasses just for working with the monitor. Amazing difference and clarity. I now never use the monitor without those glasses. It’s too good.

Studio One Pro latest, Macbook Pro M3 Max, 64GB. 10TB SSD. Babyface Pro audio interface. KRK VXT8 Monitors, Avantone Mixcubes, NI Maschine Jam, NI Komplete Kontrol S88, S61 and S49 and S25, Guitars, Bass. Main mic is Shure SM7db.
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:49 am
lawajava wroteOn topic, but different take.

I wear glasses. I noticed I was struggling to read some of the parameters on the screen. I measured the distance between my eye and the monitor. When I was getting my next eye-glasses prescription I asked the opthamologist to write me an extra prescription for that distance (which was 36”) and she tested me for that distance and then wrote that.

I bought an extra pair of glasses just for working with the monitor. Amazing difference and clarity. I now never use the monitor without those glasses. It’s too good.

Now at less than a month to 58 y/o, I HAVE to wear reading glasses when on a computer (you can imagine how bad a cell is :evil: )

I'm thinking though that the 32 is a step up because I still struggle with some things.

For example, many plugs are sizable. But, I like them small so as to not always block the view of the DAW. My hope is for relatively low coinage, this will improve things. I remember going from 24" to 27" was a HUGE difference for me personally.

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:19 am
Man, I can't wait to get this today (excitement dance engaged! )

I think I mentioned it, but the last time I tried a larger monitor everything looked funny. Now that most stuff is "hi res" I hoping for desirable results.

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:52 pm
Yes, I think this will do QUITE nicely. I'm still going to wear my reading glasses but I can see much better.

S1, Reason, all the plugs, so far seem to be crisp and clear!

by Jemusic on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:40 pm
lawajava wroteOn topic, but different take.

This is so important! In my studio I have got everything at arms length. In a U shape around me. I had two pairs of glasses made. High quality glasses, and by a very reputable optometrist. Get a full test done and get your glasses checked every 2 years as well. Things change. They can customise your glasses any way you want them to operate. The multi lens thing now is the best its ever been, its totally smooth looking through different parts of your lens.

The first pair was for my studio use. Focused perfectly in the middle of the lens, everything at arms length. Tilt head down and then look through the top and I can see synths a little further distance away perfectly sharp. Tilt head up and look through the lower section for everything super close to you such as looking down at your console. It's a dream come true. Very slight precise head movements make for every part of your studio being razor sharp. So yes combine that with a decent sized and sharp detailed monitor and things will look quite fantastic. That and good lighting is essential in your studio. All the important stuff lit so you are not straining to see.

The second pair is for me watching TV , the distances involved a little longer. Driving, looking at a distance, and also looking down at a book. The second pair was set up for three different viewing functions. It all cost but it's worth every penny though. Makes working in your studio much easier and better and hence nicer and more creative.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

20 posts
Page 1 of 1