39 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I've watched 3711 boobtube vids, but this is never addressed.

Does the Atom SQ automatically adjust PAD-note settings when Impact XT kits are loaded?

For example, here are 3 different Impact XT kits:
- 60s a GoGo; B0 thru D2
- Atmospheric Chill; C1 thru D#2
- MVP Loops HL Kit 1; C3 thru D5 (no sharps)

When I load each of these kits, are the pad assignments set automatically, or is it necessary to manually make adjustments for the pads?

If this is automagic, then great! If not, what has to be done?

Additionally, if using the Atom SQ pads to trigger other drums, what is the process for mapping the pads and saving the settings for future use?

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:49 am
I'm not sure I follow (I have one)

What I can say is that it will load the kit as it's mapped. So, if you have two banks on a "kit" it will all be available on the 32 pads. Additional banks can be accessed by the middle left buttons (8) I don't think I have any of the kits you listed.

As far as the procedure for mapping, not sure. I just use the presets, but I'm pretty sure it will save any way you want. I'll try something if you'd like :)

Now, I still mouse around allot. It's actually more time consuming (with varying degrees of success) to do it from the box. But that's just me.

Bye......:roll:
by BobF on Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:28 am
Thanks reggie

An attempt to simplify the questions:

1) Let's say I have an instance of Impact XT loaded with the 60s a GoGo kit. If I then select the MVP Loops HL Kit 1 in the same instance, is there any additional action req'd to get the Atom SQ pads to trigger the correct Impact 'pads'?

2) If I want to trigger EZ Drummer with the Atom SQ, how do I get the Atom SQ pads to trigger the correct pieces in EZ Drummer?

-

Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:01 pm
It's laid out like a keyboard. So, you might have to flip through those banks I mentioned for ezdrummer. Impact is of course, much better integration.

I think the answer is "no" but since you have ezdrummer and I do too, let me have a play and I'll see what I can see.

by craig_dt on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:48 pm
No, it integrates seamlessly.

I have Studio One 5 and an Atom SQ.

Plug in the Atom, and the sounds are mapped to the pads.
Even light up in the same colors as shown in Impact (one of the main reasons I wanted an Atom...)

Revelator io24, Atom SQ, Atom, Studio One 5
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:15 am
Yeah, I had a play with this and everything seems to be kosher with EZD3. Some mappings may not be to your liking but overall it's really nice.

by BobF on Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 am
Thanks for checking it out reggie and craig

I guess I'll see what happens during discount season. Would be nice to get the KKS61 back and up a tad. Atom SQ and qwerty up front, Maschine left

I definitely need to downsize my primary display to 32-ish inches too.

-

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:43 am
If you can get one for a good price (actually, I already think they are) you'll be surprised by all the extra stuff that can speed up your workflow too.

by BobF on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:56 am
reggie1979beatz wroteIf you can get one for a good price (actually, I already think they are) you'll be surprised by all the extra stuff that can speed up your workflow too.

Amazoon has 'em for $199.95US at the moment. I'm gonna hold out 'cause I'm greedy ;)

-

by Bbd on Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:30 am
When triggering external devices, you cannot program the midi note out. You will need to edit your note assignments on the external device to match.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by BobF on Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:34 am
Bbd wroteWhen triggering external devices, you cannot program the midi note out. You will need to edit your note assignments on the external device to match.

Good to know!

-

by Lokeyfly on Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:43 am
If it helps, this seemed to be a very good overview of most, if not all of the Atom SQ functionality, and modes.
It helped me anyway understand it better.
https://youtu.be/nOdya6dE7SQ

Yeah, it never shows the individual coloring on Impulse pads, but as a few responded, it can do just that. Looks like a little beast, but a little heavy with menus. It still frees up the mouse quite a bit.

Most of the functionality I already get from the keyboard and existing controllers, but the Atom SQ's strong suit seems to be its compact design, colored key matrix for a instrument, drumpad, and step sequencer layout.
Nice!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by BobF on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:00 am
Lokeyfly wroteIf it helps, this seemed to be a very good overview of most, if not all of the Atom SQ functionality, and modes.
It helped me anyway understand it better.
https://youtu.be/nOdya6dE7SQ

Yeah, it never shows the individual coloring on Impulse pads, but as a few responded, it can do just that. Looks like a little beast, but a little heavy with menus. It still frees up the mouse quite a bit.

Most of the functionality I already get from the keyboard and existing controllers, but the Atom SQ's strong suit seems to be its compact design, colored key matrix for a instrument, drumpad, and step sequencer layout.
Nice!

Yes, I've seen that vid, all of Gregor's and a ton of others!! My curiosity isn't about colors, it's about note-pad mapping for various Impact kits. This is from the perspective of someone that's been using a Maschine Mk3 (MIDI mode) with Impact. There seem to be at least 3 different mappings (so far) for the kits. Some start at C1 and go up by semitones. Some start at B0. Others ascend by full steps. This means that previewing Impact kits requires switching controller pad layouts frequently -with a periodic pause to set up a new mapping. Having the pad mappings taken care of automagically is a great bonus, but my real interest is getting DAW functions off of the mouse in a unit more compact than my KKS61.

DAW integration of the KKS is really good, IMO. Good enough that it can be placed away from the PC display and not be terribly inconvenient for playing in parts when 61 keys are needed.

So yes, the SQ looks like a handy tool.

Anybody want to buy a Nektar Impact 61+, Akai Fire and an X-Touch Mini? I'll throw in a FaderPort Classic!!

-

by Lokeyfly on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:40 am
I see, mappings. Got it.
I may pick up the SQ on the way home today. I'm inundated with music stores here, and it's below $200. I think the Atom SQ's portability is also its strong suit on top of everything else it does. Plus the right side LED menu is nice and clear. I tend to hate knee deep menus with no indicator screen. So the SQ looks to have much of that covered. Looks like a keeper.

Posting your classifieds sale bellow for visibility so it doesn't get buried.
BobF wrote: Anybody want to buy a Nektar Impact 61+, Akai Fire and an X-Touch Mini? I'll throw in a FaderPort Classic!!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by BobF on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:07 am
Please report back with your initial impressions and then a follow up.

My *only* reservation at this point is my experience with the Fire controller. It actually works great with FL, but I can't get along with FL and using the Fire with anything requires too much mind melding. I'm hopeful that the advertised 'user mode' of the SQ makes it usable outside of SO - not that I'm planning on using anything else atm. Except Maschine. I have a love/hate thing going with Maschine.

Of course I'll try Live Lite that comes with SQ, but seeing the price of higher Live versions I'm hoping to be allergic :D

-

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:16 am
I had a similar experience with the fire. I can honestly say that the SQ's integration with S1 is MUCH better than that was.

I too just can't get on with FL. I've had it since version 3 and I used to always hope that I'd be able to finally "get it".

Long time waiting for a train ain't never gonna come here :roll:

One thing I do NOT like about the ATOM and the ATOM SQ: There is no way to speed up the knobs. The throw is VERY slow. Useless for something like a filter sweep for the most part. Very disappointing, really the only thing I wish they would address.

I started a thread about this in the SQ/ATOM section, for all the good it will do :lol:

But, on the SQ, with a little bit of hoop jumping, the "strip" can be assigned with little difficulty. That is really a kick butt thing for me personally.

by BobF on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:53 am
According to Gregor, the SQ knobs are speed sensitive - the faster you turn, the courser the adjustment.

-

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:58 am
BobF wroteAccording to Gregor, the SQ knobs are speed sensitive - the faster you turn, the courser the adjustment.

?????????

I'll check this out.

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:06 am
Good god, how did I miss that? Ok, nevermind the bullocks, here come the fader throws!!!!!!

by Lokeyfly on Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:56 am
BobF wrotePlease report back with your initial impressions and then a follow up.

Will do. I just stopped at Guitar Center and they checked all stores. None available in-store unless I purchase on line. I'll try Sam Ash. I may have to buy on line if not stocked. Will take a few days then to happen. :?

Ordered it at Sam Ash, so it will be as early as tomorrow or as late as Mon. from their warehouse.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

39 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2