17 posts
Page 1 of 1
"Buy Studio One 6 Professional Upgrade from Professional or Producer - all versions"

$149.95

Im trying to figure out how this is a fair exchange to those of us that have done each and every upgrade to support Presonus since version 1?

So I can skip 3 or 4 versions and pay the same as the guy who has given his dough every upgrade to further the DAW? This is off to me here.

StudioOnePro 6.6
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 2013
by Vocalpoint on Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:49 am
shanabit wroteI'm trying to figure out how this is a fair exchange to those of us that have done each and every upgrade to support Presonus since version 1?

Really not a lot to figure out as this one comes up everytime a new version comes around.

Firstly - no one and I mean no one is forcing anyone to upgrade - hence that $149.00 you dropped circa 2016 means that you get whatever that version had for that time - and no more.

Conversely - if you upgrade every year - that is your access to the latest and greatest - each and every cycle which is almost always a two-year span.

This is not about being fair - this is always about how current you want to be - and there is a cost to that as you can see. I have no issues with someone holding off three upgrades and then jumping back in - they have not had access to anything in the past 3 releases and probably missed out on a lot.

Are you saying that someone who skips three versions should pay ($149.00 x 3)?

I can see that being a disaster for Presonus or any other company offering discounted upgrades.

I am choosing to remain current, support Presonus and the dev crew and not really worry about the other guy and whatever his/hers upgrade price might be.

My two cents...

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by BobF on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:16 am
Vocalpoint wrote
shanabit wroteI'm trying to figure out how this is a fair exchange to those of us that have done each and every upgrade to support Presonus since version 1?

Really not a lot to figure out as this one comes up everytime a new version comes around.

Firstly - no one and I mean no one is forcing anyone to upgrade - hence that $149.00 you dropped circa 2016 means that you get whatever that version had for that time - and no more.

Conversely - if you upgrade every year - that is your access to the latest and greatest - each and every cycle which is almost always a two-year span.

This is not about being fair - this is always about how current you want to be - and there is a cost to that as you can see. I have no issues with someone holding off three upgrades and then jumping back in - they have not had access to anything in the past 3 releases and probably missed out on a lot.

Are you saying that someone who skips three versions should pay ($149.00 x 3)?

I can see that being a disaster for Presonus or any other company offering discounted upgrades.

I am choosing to remain current, support Presonus and the dev crew and not really worry about the other guy and whatever his/hers upgrade price might be.

My two cents...

Cheers

VP

My view exactly

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by shanabit on Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:20 am
@VP, you and Bob are totally missing my point here.

1. If ALL of us skipped 2 or 3 versions, where does the money come from to support the DAW? Excluding the Sphere gravy train.

2. Give the FAITHFUL supporters who dosh out the dough EVERY time you upgrade the DAW some incentive like a discount you are giving to those who DO NOT upgrade every time. This isn't hard to understand.

3. This has NOTHING to do with being CURRENT for me. I have upgraded every time to SUPPORT Presonus and S1. I don't use half the stuff they cram into it. Since version 1 here as well

4. You are rewarding those who DO NOT upgrade to jump back in with a discount and or are forcing everyone on the Sphere Train. "Are you saying that someone who skips three versions should pay ($149.00 x 3)? ". No one with any business sense would do that.

5. I know you guys won't see the issue so Ill let this thread die and you can argue with yourselves.

StudioOnePro 6.6
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 2013
by SwitchBack on Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:42 am
shanabit wrote1. If ALL of us skipped 2 or 3 versions, where does the money come from to support the DAW? Excluding the Sphere gravy train.
I think this is the heart of the matter. It's PreSonus' job to issue updates worth upgrading to. If they fail to do so (and users skip the upgrade) then they'll have to do better next time around. Or maybe the upgrade is priced too high and they'll have to bring that down. Not the end of the world ;)
by BobF on Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:26 am
shanabit wrote@VP, you and Bob are totally missing my point here.

Didn't mean to ruffle anything. I'm pretty sure I get where you're coming from. I just look at things differently.

That's not to say that either of us is 'right' or 'wrong'

I totally respect your view on the matter

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Vocalpoint on Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:44 am

1. If ALL of us skipped 2 or 3 versions, where does the money come from to support the DAW? Excluding the Sphere gravy train.

2. Give the FAITHFUL supporters who dosh out the dough EVERY time you upgrade the DAW some incentive like a discount you are giving to those who DO NOT upgrade every time. This isn't hard to understand.

3. This has NOTHING to do with being CURRENT for me. I have upgraded every time to SUPPORT Presonus and S1. I don't use half the stuff they cram into it. Since version 1 here as well

4. You are rewarding those who DO NOT upgrade to jump back in with a discount and or are forcing everyone on the Sphere Train. "Are you saying that someone who skips three versions should pay ($149.00 x 3)? ". No one with any business sense would do that.

5. I know you guys won't see the issue so Ill let this thread die and you can argue with yourselves.

Shanabit

Let me give you my "points' on your points :) and trust me - I am not arguing with you.

(1) To be completely honest - I don't really care if Presonus sinks or swims in the long run because at the end of the day - it's on them to make me want to upgrade - not me to keep paying their DEV tab. This is why Sphere will never work for me and why Presonus better stay sharp - there is a lot of competition out there as we all know.

(2) I feel like this one is troubling you the most for some odd reason - almost like you feel like someone "owes" you something for being there all these years. At the end of the day - this is business and $149 is the cost of a ticket. You can buy in or don't - your call.

(3) If it's not about you wanting to be current - then I do not understand the reasoning for your initial thread - I mean if the upgrade to 6 is causing you grief - stay back on V5 (or earlier) and carry on. Yes? There is no requirement to upgrade.

(4) For me it's not about Presonus "rewarding" me or a competition on who gets a better price or any of that. If you are in this to show loyalty to Presonus - that's great (I am a slight bit as well) but I never forget who the customer is (me), which DAW represents best value for that customer (me) at any given time (which may or may not be S1) and ultimately who pays the bill (me).

And Sphere is a non-starter. As long as Presonus keeps the "standalone" value coming - I will be there for them AND be happy to pay the "standalone" upgrade price. As a working voiceover pro with paying clients - the upgrade price is really 2 minutes of my work in a typical day - it's not something that concerns me.

I just want a tool that lets me keep creating, keeps my clients coming back and gets me paid without worrying about how much the upgrade is. For now - that tool is Studio One.

And I mean c'mon - for what we pay (typically $149 for Pro to Pro) - name one other piece of software (in any business or media vertical) that gives you what we get in a typical two-year span. S1 is a steal in my book (when I think about some of the other stuff I need to upgrade over and over).

(5) Never want to argue with anyone. Just see this a tad differently is all.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by lgbgnlhq on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:29 am

I actually agree with you, if you have a look at the comments on Social Media, many S1 users aren't happy with V6 and how it's been overpriced. Presonus is clearly adding efforts to get more clients that are moving away from Logic, Cubase or another DAW. Also pushing their marketing to get more Sphere subscribers, just like Adobe and other brands do, which find disappointing.
As of today, there are no special deals on upgrades, only on crossgrades and Sphere, not even during Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
by JohnBW on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:10 am
lgbgnlhq wrote
shanabit wroteAs of today, there are no special deals on upgrades, only on crossgrades and Sphere, not even during Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

The Studio One 6 Pro update is currently $119 at Best Service.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:14 am
shanabit wroteSphere gravy train.

I know this is old, but that "gravy train" has cost me a grand total of about 150 USD for a whole year. What have I got? ALL the soundsets, ALL the mixing consoles, and oh, BTW ... 2 MAJOR versions ;) I'm up for another year for a grand total of 123 USD (well, a couple of cents too :lol: ) So less than 300 bucks for 2 full years and all the benies.

Honestly, if someone is going to berate Sphere, try harder. We've had this conversation, you are not taking into consideration the extensive amount of money it would have cost to buy/upgrade all of that. It would have cost at least a grand for all that. And please, not with the "owning" thing, you do not OWN software. You simply have the right to use it with the EULA.

Bye......:roll:
by MisterE on Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:43 am
JohnBW wrote
lgbgnlhq wrote
shanabit wroteAs of today, there are no special deals on upgrades, only on crossgrades and Sphere, not even during Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

The Studio One 6 Pro update is currently $119 at Best Service.

That's a "currency exchange discount" because of the strong dollar, not a Black Friday or other sale. Any USA customers who can hold out will be able to get 30% off $150 and a similar currency discount and no tax -- if my prediction in another thread that upgrades will be discounted comes true ;)

And that total comes out to around $84 because:

30% off sale on $150 = $105
20% further discount cause the dollar is about 20% stronger than pounds or euros = $84.

That's the trigger point for me, as I like what's on offer in V6, but, like a lot of people, I don't find those enticements worth full price. I wait for bargains and tend to stick with one version a long time. Most people prefer to have the latest greatest, just pick your priority. If you have to have that vocoder today, the Best Service deal is on the table, so you save in a roundabout way.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:06 pm
I'm not 100% accurate, but 6 is just about as good as it gets here. It's impossible to quantify just how well it's working for me. Even the original release was excellent. (5 was dicey in the beginning and took a while to mature for me even though I don't do everything it can do)

The asterisk is that I'm not a power user. There are some things that I never use (scratch pad, no "show" and very rarely the project. In fact, I'm not sure I've even tried it in 6. )

Point being, for those of you waiting, I think you'll be happy when you get your proper upgrade price.

by MisterE on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:14 pm
reggie1979beatz wrote
Honestly, if someone is going to berate Sphere, try harder.

What's being berated is Fendersonus' practice of somewhere in between steering and forcing us into Sphere, not what's on offer in the program for owners who have to have the latest greatest and see endless possibilities (that would take years to fully explore) as a good thing. Lotsa people like that, lotsa people don't.

The argument against it isn't hard to present at all (which no one has to agree with). It goes like this: so Sphere gives you like 10,000 (or something deep into four figures) sounds, presets, instruments, effects, and loops, of which you'll use maybe 100 of them to record an entire album. So you'll use like 1% of what you paid for. Let's be generous and say you use 200. OK, so then you used 2% of the ammo in your storehouse. Or let's say I'm lowballing it and you're wildly experimental and you used 1,000 of them. That's still only getting 10% of what you paid for.

Then, next year, when that goes up to 11,000 possibilities, you'll use the same minute percentage of them to record your next album, but you'll pay another $125. If you owned the program, you wouldn't pay anything. It all comes down to whether you tend to stick with one version of a DAW or you have to have the latest version. Lots of people like being completely up to date. Lots of people could care less.

Just how much firepower does a composer need? How many tools does an engineer need?

It occurs to me that plenty of people had no problem creating great tunes when they had like 500 sounds split between three hardware synths, so I'd fall into the camp that limitations are preferable to overkill, and lots of great tunes were recorded with whatever was lying around studios, but that's just me.

To sum up: I have zero problems with Sphere's existence or anyone's embrace of it. Just give us the same damn discount on upgrades.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by reggie1979beatz on Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:56 pm
I can only speak for myself, but I use S1 (every single day), the mixfx, the fatchannel stuff (really quite nice) and a variety of the soundsets. Not all of them (my god, WAY too many "produca/similar things. I really hate the "you should be all gangsta with these beats" crap :lol: ) but since joining about a year ago, just the two major upgrades are worth it. And with 6, I didn't have to wait to "test" it for the demo to come out, the day it was released it was in my account :)

I just hate the attitude like "oh, it's a cash grab" thing. It's only a waste if you don't use things. And even that isn't a deal because unless you get the annual, you can cancel anytime. When I threw out a "grand" I meant what I use. My subs are all very very useful. I don't care that people "made music" (loosely) before that. That was then, this is now. I've also heard that argument about nearly everything that has been an advance. Rubbish, now, get off my lawn!!!!!!

by IanM5 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:59 am

I can only speak for myself. It's not my moral obligation or duty to keep Presonus in business. V5 was mostly irrelevant to my needs and V6 is astonishing light of new stuff. You know they are in trouble when Templates and Menu Customisations are the first two bullet points on the What's New page.

At this moment in time I'm wondering whether I have skipped two versions or whether I have just stopped upgrading altogether.

V4 and V4.5 were epic. Maybe the golden era for Studio One is over.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by garyshepherd on Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:19 am
The Lyric track is a great new feature. Some of the other minor amendments have improved the workflow - including customising the toolbar clutter. I think its a good upgrade worth having personally. And they will provide free updates and improvements for the next couple of years before the next major paid for upgrade.

Although they need to sort out the behaviour of the Autoscroll which turns off when you edit - I would rather have the choice (like Cubase) to leave Autoscroll on. Please upvote my request to Presonus!

https://answers.presonus.com/76412/auto ... o-arranger

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Studio One 6.6 Professional Minus (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.3, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:21 am
Oh, I upvoted Gary ;)

It's gotten to the point where it's like another "unmentionable" topic though. I mean the "I don't like it/I'm lovin' it" debate. :lol:

Fair enough, it's nice that people can choose what they want, or don't want.

17 posts
Page 1 of 1