6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

what is the lowest buffer you can achieve when using this plugin ?
I have a problem with this and I'm trying to find the cause ...

Thanks for the answers

Martin Kucera

I9 18-core, 128 GB RAM, GeForge 3080 12GB RAM, Windows 11

Cubase 12, Studio One 5, EastWest Opus,
Hollywood Platinum Orchestra with Opus Edition
Kurzweil PC3k
Roland SE-02
Elektron Digitone
Modal Argon
Ensoniq TS10
Ensoniq SQ1+
Akai S1000
M-Audio Oxygen Pro61
Yamaha QY100
by markuc on Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:06 pm
Nobody ?

I have a serious performance problem, my template doesn't even have 100 tracks and is created from three instances of EW Opus, I use exclusively patches with keyswitches. if I record 3-4 tracks I get to the limit and have to increase the buffer to 1024 to continue working ... Hardware features of my computer you see below, I think they are pretty decent.

My question is whether Opus is really that terribly caustic, or if the problem is in S1, or somewhere else.

I would welcome any reasonable feedback.

Thanks
Last edited by markuc on Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Kucera

Kurzweil PC3k
Roland SE-02
Elektron Digitone
Modal Argon
Ensoniq TS10
Ensoniq SQ1+
Akai S1000
M-Audio Oxygen Pro61
Yamaha QY100
by ennbr on Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:14 pm
Have you tried Opus on win10 I'm a Mac user myself and have not see the problems using the default buffer settings. With your computer specs I'm surprised you're having these troubles.

And I do most of my work on a MacBook Pro 6 core with only 32gb although most of my projects are in the 50-60 range.

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD
by ennbr on Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:13 am
I did some testing last night with a 79 track project that I had setup for both EW Opus and Audio Imperia libs. What I found was with the same settings in Studio One buffers, dropout protection, samples reading from the same external SSD and using default settings for both Opus and Kontakt.

There were spikes showing up on the EW Opus version where the Audio Imperia version of the song had no spikes in performance.

My conclusion would be that the Opus playback engine is seriously lacking and still a year or more later needing optimization fixes.

Bruce

Computers:
Mini PC Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 boot, 4TB data Win 11
Laptop ASUS Ryzen 7 6800H, 64GB DDR5, 2TB M.2 4TB SSD data Win 11
Software: Studio One Pro 6, Notion 6.8, Melodyne Studio 5
Audio Interfaces: Moto 1248, M4
External Storage: Samples 3x 2TB SSD's, Projects 4TB SSD
by markuc on Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:07 pm
ennbr wroteI did some testing last night with a 79 track project that I had setup for both EW Opus and Audio Imperia libs. What I found was with the same settings in Studio One buffers, dropout protection, samples reading from the same external SSD and using default settings for both Opus and Kontakt.

There were spikes showing up on the EW Opus version where the Audio Imperia version of the song had no spikes in performance.

My conclusion would be that the Opus playback engine is seriously lacking and still a year or more later needing optimization fixes.

Thank You, Bruce, I think the same, although I haven't done a similar test, I don't have another similar sample bank for comparison ...

EW sample banks worked best in the past under Kontakt, since they switched to their own sample players it's only gotten worse.

Martin Kucera

Kurzweil PC3k
Roland SE-02
Elektron Digitone
Modal Argon
Ensoniq TS10
Ensoniq SQ1+
Akai S1000
M-Audio Oxygen Pro61
Yamaha QY100
by markuc on Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:47 pm
For the interest - I created a project consisting of 52 EW Opus instances, a separate instance for each instrument with all available articulations.
Result ? Absolutely smooth operation, no performance issues. EW Opus obviously can't handle multioutput, when it has all 16 instruments occupied with separate MIDI inputs and audio outputs.
So it is much better to follow the single instance per instrument approach when creating larger orchestral templates.
But maybe everyone already knows this, except me ... :-)

Edit: The joy didn't last long - after saving a perfectly working template I didn't open it anymore - S1 freezes when opening the template. I contacted support, now I'm waiting ...

I'm getting desperate, I tried a similar template in Cubase, there again the imported expression maps don't work for some instruments. I've been dealing with this for too long and as a result I can't work ...

Martin Kucera

Kurzweil PC3k
Roland SE-02
Elektron Digitone
Modal Argon
Ensoniq TS10
Ensoniq SQ1+
Akai S1000
M-Audio Oxygen Pro61