307 postsPage 5 of 16
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16
Digivolt wroteCan anybody confirm or deny if the "issue" where you drop a midi over a certain size into a project instead opens a brand new project is fixed/change so the midi goes into the project you drop it into ?

I would also like to know the answer to this and especially to this: are the 'Program Changes' in the exported MIDI file embedded?

[HP G4 Z2 workstation] - Win 10 Pro, i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, 2x 500GB SSD + 2TB "classic", NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5GB, 2x 1920*1200px Eizo monitors;
Studio One Pro from v.1.6 (now 4.6.2), Melodyne Editor 4.2.4;
Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB, FaderPort 2018.
by Adria S. on Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:56 am
Still no DMX light control (or any midi at all) in Show. Super disappointed. I love SO, but Ableton Live looks more and more attractive, if only for live shows.

Studio One 5.1 on Windows 10 x64 (i7 processor, 16gb RAM)
FP10 FireWire
Kurzweil SP76 digital piano / MIDI controller
Akai MPD24 pad control
by taylorscott2 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:03 am
Vocalpoint wrote
marchppner wroteI was really, really hoping (and waiting) for Dolby Atmos in v6, now I have to switch to something else… :(

Can I ask - in the gentlest way possible - why I keep seeing this request everywhere? Are you all mixing the latest Marvel movie in Studio One - or what?

And does everyone who asks for this know that ATMOS licensing will simply make a very expensive S1 upgrade even more expensive (Especially for those who do know even know what it is)?

Again - nicest way possible - I really do want to know what those who keep asking - really need this for?

Cheers

VP

Atmos music is getting very popular. Cubase / Nuendo added it with no additional costs to the end user. Also available in Logic, Reaper, Ableton (sort of), probably others.

Studio One 6 (Sphere)
Windows 10
Ryzen 7950x (16-Core)
64GB 6000mhz RAM
2x 2TB NVME M.2 SSD's
1x 4TB NVME M.2 SSD
Nvidia 4070 TI
ioStation 24c
by FleinSopp on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:54 am
Update is not bad by any means, but that should be free and came as 5.6-7. I'm crossgrading to Cubase for almost the same price. Spent good time with S1 from v4 till now, but seems like I'm vacant for 2 years ahead, why not to try something else for the same money.
by snb1 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:20 am
Adria S. wroteStill no DMX light control (or any midi at all) in Show. Super disappointed. I love SO, but Ableton Live looks more and more attractive, if only for live shows.

I have the full suite of Ableton Live 11 if you want to buy it at a cheaper price and go that route. I bought it out of a frustrating problem Ive been having for years in Studio One right before I finally figured out how to fix the issue. But I bought it and never really used it as much as I did the Lite version. When I buy a daw, I like to know everything about it. Im the type that will read the manual. But I decided not to invest such time in a new daw because it usually takes me like 4 years to really feel like I know the daw in and out and I wasn't willing to invest that time again learning a new daw.

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by Vocalpoint on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:05 am
taylorscott2 wroteAtmos music is getting very popular.

Fair enough.

Apologies that I am still failing to see the point of this for music - especially anything done in a home environment or even small commercial studio. Considering about 99% of people are still just listening to Spotify or YouTube on their phones and I would venture a guess than less that 1% of anyone out there with prosumer level audio gear have made any investment at home to get the most out of the ATMOS experience.

Now - for an immersive cinema experience where a commercial theatre has installed the required ATMOS speaker arrays and has the processing power to make a movie sound like it should - it makes total sense.

I suppose if you were Pink Floyd or you are at Skywalker Sound in Marin County mixing an upcoming Star Wars release - maybe ATMOS in Studio One might may sense.

But then again Pink Floyd and the producers at Skywalker Sound would need to be using S1 as well. I am guessing they are not.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by cpowell on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:13 am
Adria S. wroteStill no DMX light control (or any midi at all) in Show. Super disappointed. I love SO, but Ableton Live looks more and more attractive, if only for live shows.

What? Is that right? Here I have been planning to do this very thing. I have already started purchasing my own DMX lights, etc...

My plan was to send MIDI info out from the Show to ENTEC USB-MIDI devices to run lights. I thought that the Show page could do this... If not... uh oh...

Studio One 5 Professional
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US-20X20
Tascam US-16X08
Softube Console 1
FaderPort 8
Neve R6 Rack
Neve Portico 511
dbx 560A
by IanM5 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:18 am
Vocalpoint wrote
taylorscott2 wroteAtmos music is getting very popular.

Fair enough.

Apologies that I am still failing to see the point of this for music - especially anything done in a home environment or even small commercial studio. Considering about 99% of people are still just listening to Spotify or YouTube on their phones and I would venture a guess than less that 1% of anyone out there with prosumer level audio gear have made any investment at home to get the most out of the ATMOS experience.

Now - for an immersive cinema experience where a commercial theatre has installed the required ATMOS speaker arrays and has the processing power to make a movie sound like it should - it makes total sense.

I suppose if you were Pink Floyd or you are at Skywalker Sound in Marin County mixing an upcoming Star Wars release - maybe ATMOS in Studio One might may sense.

But then again Pink Floyd and the producers at Skywalker Sound would need to be using S1 as well. I am guessing they are not.

VP

I personally don't feel the need for Atmos in music but one company in particular has thrown its full weight behind Atmos for music. That company is Apple. That's what is driving the demand for Atmos in DAWs. Dolby Atmos "Spatial Audio" works with any headphones - you don't need fancy AirPods or a room full of speakers to listen to it. Cubase just added Atmos for free in a point update.

I'm not at all excited by it but I suspect it may be here to stay.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by Anderton on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:42 am
Re Atmos: I presume PreSonus is waiting for a consumer surround format to become dominant. DTS offers some advantages over Atmos (e.g., not capping the number of speakers). Although they're of greatest interest to commercial facilities, they could get more traction that way, and filter down into the consumer space. DTS also runs at a higher audio bit rate, and the difference in audio quality is noticeable. Sony’s 360 Reality Audio is another Atmos competitor. Of course for the home, people need devices that can understand and decode the various formats but that's becoming less of an issue.

Dolby 5.1 was the surrond standard for several years, but DTS made a big splash with Jurassic Park and never looked back. Meanwhile, there are now different flavors of Dolby 6.1, and DTS offers discrete and matrixed versions. There are different optimizations for DVD/Blu-Ray and theater.

Dolby also has two different 7.1 versions, Dolby Digital Plus (which is lossy) and Dolby TrueHD, which is lossless. Similarly, DTS has two different 7.1 formats. I don't know for sure what Sony's up to, but it's Sony...you know they'll put a big push on it.

I'm not even sure the preceding is 100% correct (although I think it is). There's so much hype and confusion about "immersive audio." The cynics think it's another way to sell you music you already have in a different format. The companies pushing these formats are not engaged in artist development to produce fresh content that showcases their systems.

Perhaps Studio One has learned a lesson that Cakewalk learned the hard way. It was one of the first DAWs with a superb 5.1 surround implementation, and also jumped on DSD export for SACD. Neither ended up becoming a standard, and all that coding was basically a waste of time and money.

If you need to do surround with Studio One, all you need to do is assign more buses. You can then export the audio, import it into Cakewalk (which never got rid of the surround stuff and is free), do your surround panning, and call it good. What I need to mix in surround with Studio One, I create the required number of buses and use Waves Virtual Mix room, whose soundfield creation technology emulates surround with conventional stereo headphones. It's not the same as being surrounded by speakers, but it's more than good enough to "proof" a surround mix.

Of couse then you have to take you outputs and encode them as appropriate. Waves also has plug-ins to do that.

I suspect Studio One will build in surround functionality only when there is a clear standard in the marketplace, e.g., like how VHS made it unnecessary to consider Beta or Laserdisc as a distribution medium.

I wouldn't be surprised if the audio surround standard ends up being surround emulation over stereo headphones, which you can do today with any DAW and some plug-ins.
Last edited by Anderton on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:44 am
Well, Lazerdisc was a superior sound/viddy quality IMO.

Bye......:roll:
by Anderton on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:20 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteWell, Lazerdisc was a superior sound/viddy quality IMO.

And Beta was better than VHS, Ogg Vorbis is better than MP3, etc. Consumers don't always make the right choices :)

To be clear, I do think surround sound has major potential. However, I've lived through two massive pushes for surround audio, one in the 70s with Quad/SQ/QS and one in the 90s with DVD-A/SACD. Both failed due to format wars and consumer indifference, so I'm hoping that this time around it's "third time's a charm," instead of "3 strikes and you're out." However there are still format wars and consumers don't seem all that blown away, so we'll see.

Digital storefront: craiganderton.com
Free educational site: craiganderton.org
Music: youtube.com/thecraiganderton
Studio One eBooks: shop.presonus.com
by musicchamber on Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:09 pm
I have tried to purchase the upgrade but having problems, I have tried with both Safari and Chrome and Presonus Shop not working! Anyone else having problems. I'm in the UK.

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by FleinSopp on Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:04 pm
musicchamber wroteI have tried to purchase the upgrade but having problems, I have tried with both Safari and Chrome and Presonus Shop not working! Anyone else having problems. I'm in the UK.

Go use other shop, like thomann where you can also get much better price.
by breanbeech on Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:42 pm
Regarding the requests for the Atmos feature, I'm seeing a lot of comments along the lines of why do we need it, well the fact is most users don't but it is like a turbo boost button in your car you probably won't ever use it but knowing it's there is a nice touch.
But listening to certain mix engineers when your mix in atmos and then fold it down to a stereo mix it still retains a lot of space that a conventional mix cannot achieve thereby making this feature still viable to anyone that has a multi-speaker setup. Why stand in a place when we can move forward what harms in that.
by paulwinichuk on Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:00 pm
Updated to Studio One 6 on my 2019 MacBook Pro and 2019 iMac. SO6 is working flawlessly on the MacBook Pro. However, on the iMac nothing is working properly. None of my preferences from SO5 were brought in. Also, every time I start the program it does a complete (30 minute) rescan of all of my plugins. Upon completion when I create a new song there are no presets in any of the Presonus instruments. I have no idea what the difference is between the installation on each machine.
Any ideas greatly appreciated.
by DJKeys on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:18 pm
paulwinichuk wroteUpdated to Studio One 6 on my 2019 MacBook Pro and 2019 iMac. SO6 is working flawlessly on the MacBook Pro. However, on the iMac nothing is working properly. None of my preferences from SO5 were brought in. Also, every time I start the program it does a complete (30 minute) rescan of all of my plugins. Upon completion when I create a new song there are no presets in any of the Presonus instruments. I have no idea what the difference is between the installation on each machine.

Are the OS versions of the machine identical? That is the first thing to check-

-dj

2019 iMAC i7
250GB SSD (internal)
1TB SSD (external)x2
16GB RAM
OSX 13.5
Studio One 5.5.2
Waves Platinum v14
Ozone 9 Advanced
Focusrite Dual Mono Mic Pre
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Nektar T4
by ericma2 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:47 pm
Was Anderton this active for the V5 release?

I had a chance to trade my Cubase 12 Pro license for V6. I think the lyric track, sends/pans and video updates are great but just not enough for me to even trade. I'd rather get that money and buy some analog color modules from DIYRe or a Toontrack SDX. I definitely will use V6 at some point just not right as the other things I can buy are more exciting and would probably release more dopamine for me... heh

2013 Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core 64 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Pro Tools 21.12 <- Finally left Pro Tools - THANKS S1!!!!
Euphonix Artist Mix firmware 1.5.6.0
Eucon v4.8.3
by garyanderson5 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:05 pm
Unless companies come up with inexpensive Atmos systems for home use that actually work it will die out just like every other fad they come up with to drag money out of people's pockets. Most are junk the HIFI and Home entertainment industry use to generate sales from people who don't know any better unless you invest a chunk of money into the ones that do work. Having the tools to work with Atmos in any DAW is not where the problem's are. You have to convince people they need it and most don't care hence they listen to mp3's all day long on crappy devices.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by jih64 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:10 pm
Many thanks for the update PreSonus people, love it, got some good stuff in there that I really appreciate. Look forward to digging into it. :+1

Seems like I'm going against the trend, but I thought the price of the upgrade was quite reasonable, didn't have to think twice about purchasing it immediately on release, a touch over $109 for me, bargain.
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:01 pm
paulwinichuk wroteUpdated to Studio One 6 on my 2019 MacBook Pro and 2019 iMac. SO6 is working flawlessly on the MacBook Pro. However, on the iMac nothing is working properly. None of my preferences from SO5 were brought in. Also, every time I start the program it does a complete (30 minute) rescan of all of my plugins. Upon completion when I create a new song there are no presets in any of the Presonus instruments. I have no idea what the difference is between the installation on each machine.

There is an option somewhere to not have S1 scan plugs on startup. As for the rest, no clue. What a drag to have to go through that!

Bye......:roll:

307 postsPage 5 of 16
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16