7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi.

I have an instrument track that is assigned to an instrument (channel). Let's just say that I have chords on my track and I want to dynamically switch the instrument that is played during the track. To keep my "use case" simple, let's say that in section A I'd like my guitar instrument channel to play the chords from the track, then in section B my piano instrument channel, and then finally in section C I want to hear another channel.

How can I set this up?

I know that I can split the instrument track in three sections, and then assign each separate track to these separate (instrument) channels. That works. However, is there some (smarter!) way that I can just have ONE track, and maybe use the automation lane to dynamically switch between channels?

I have been using Studio One for quite a bit of time now, so I am far from a newbie :) ... watched many of the great videos, but still having problems figuring this one out... hope someone can help!

Best regards,
Falco
by Tacman7 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:45 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

In the old days that's how you worked, you have an external synth and play a part then send it a program change then it would use the voice you specified in the PC.

It's a lot of messing around, what I do is get a synth to sound just like I like and bounce it and name the bounce for the voice used to create it. You can bounce all you want with whatever voice you want and store the midi down in layers (named for the voice) so you can update a bounce if need be.

PC's are not used so much anymore but they're still around.
If you want to try using program changes it depends on the synth. You can send program changes with sound variations now but if your synth has a program change parameter you might try using regular automation.

Good tutorial about sound variations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdG5nEVInQQ

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by BobF on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:10 pm
Maybe a multi instrument could work for you. Have all VIs loaded in the multi, then mute/unmute the outputs via automation. Or automate volumes for smooth transitions.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Jemusic on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:15 pm
I still feel the best approach is to have the three midi events on three tracks. Number of tracks is unlimited. Put them in a folder if you want to keep this as a single track width. Colour them similarly eg three shades of green. etc.

What this offers is the fastest visual indiction of what is actually happening in your arrangement. Something that wont be clear as much if this is all happening on a single track. I feel its more important to see what is happening.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by falcopaul on Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 am
Thanks for the replies!

Your responses suggested some potential approaches that I had already looked into (i.e. sound variations, program switches, multi-instruments, etc). But these are all a bit 'cumbersome'...

I was really hoping that there was something more 'intuiative' like the 'patches' in the Studio-One "show Page" (i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj_CIoUWoX4&t=290s) but it seems this doesn't exist in the 'regular' S1 environment.

The problem is that I work with score notation software, and whenever I do an update on a track that requires multiple instruments than I need to import the updated tracks (score-2-MIDI), then 'slice and dice' the MIDI each and every time accross different tracks just so that I can use different instrument channels... it's a bit of an annoying workflow, hence my question...

Best regards,
Falco
by BobF on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:15 am
A Multi Instrument is not the same as multiple instruments. A Multi Instrument is 1 or more instruments driven by a single instrument (MIDI) track.

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/B ... uments.htm

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Jemusic on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:24 pm
I can see the need if you are involving notation. What I would like is the ability for individual midi events on a single instrument track to have access to midi port/channel or even just midi channel would be great. Same being for virtual instruments too of course.

I like sometimes using three hardware synths with a very similar bass sound to play the one bass line. Certain notes being played by certain synths only etc.. or in the midi editor being able to select a group of midi notes and assign them to a specific channel.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

7 posts
Page 1 of 1