174 postsPage 3 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9
Lokeyfly wrote
BobF wrote
Lokeyfly wroteYoung, middle, or old, for those looking for..... well. . whatever you think a new version will bring you. I hope you find it in version 6.

Weather that is noodling with some cool features, GUI look, or new subject matter to go over (many even gripe about), I hope it involves you in the music and production aspects, than constant loitering in the forum. MMV.

Have fun and make awesome music! The world can use it.

As to S1v6 for me, I'll hold off for at least a few months to let things settle. I'm on the tail end of an album and ripples or new features will only get in the way.

Quick wishlist:
*More room in Track Inspector, by use of tabs.
*Actual velocity metering on tracks.
*Better choice of color swatches.
*Skip forward (reverse) looping.
*Continued improvement w Global & Focus mapping.
*Some new Instrument that is compelling.
*Continued Project Page enhancements
*Continued overall reliability and lean design.

Be well with your music, and in health!

As I'm sure you know, side X side installs work great.

Not familiar Bob, what is that? No success googling that.

Side-by-Side as opposed to installing over the current version.

You can install a new version of SO to a new folder. This leaves the prior version intact. This enables you to continue with V5 to finish your album while familiarizing yourself with the new version. To me, this is better than waiting for the dust to settle if I'm planning to grab the new version at some point anyway.

Just take care loading V5 songs/projects in V6 and saving over the V5 copy of the song/project. Making safe copies somewhere helps prevent problems.

I currently have V4 (latest) and V5 (latest) installed so that I'm able to go back for something if I need to.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by reggie1979beatz on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:22 am
And that is a great point, we simply don't "need" 6, we can run it with what we have and see how it goes :)

Bye......:roll:
by graytermedia on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:48 am
shanabit wroteNEEDED:

1. Video Track
2. Surround
3. ATMOS

**If FenderSonus wants to capture the Protools, Logic,Cubase crowd .

^This^ for me.

I've began my long goodbye with Pro Tools almost 2 years ago and picked up Nuendo. I still do a lot of music in S1, but Post (the thing that pays my bills) is my priority. I'd love to have it all under one roof, but until PreSonus gets serious about post production (a real video track at the very least), I'll be a multi-DAW guy:

Nuendo - Post Mix
Reaper - Sound Design
Studio One - Music Production

I have high hopes for v6, but I'm not going to hold my breath either. I'm too old to be ranting on the internet about the lack of features of a certain program. I'll use what's available and get on with it. That said, the more I use Nuendo, the more I like it, and if I had to consolidate, that's where I'd land.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by gregghart on Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:18 pm
PreAl wroteI hear the CEO and Fender is a big fan of Vanilla Ice.
But yeah I hear you, a certain flowered/egg'd DAW got destroyed that way IMHO. Luckily it hasn't become that toxic over here..I don't think anybody means any harm (although that baked DAW still has an underground Illuminati that occasionally shows its wrinkles)

I was wondering what DAW you were referring to until you said "baked." The "flowered" threw me. I think you meant floured. :) But man...that's good stuff! Made me laugh! I actually had to reinstall that DAW a few ago because I wanted to remaster a few of my old songs...man....SO is SOOO much easier to use.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by Lokeyfly on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:38 pm
BobF wrote: "Side-by-Side as opposed to installing over the current version."

Ah! Lol. Thanks. I have v1, 2, 3, and 4 on my other laptop, with 5 on the newer one. I can always revert back to any version if needed. 👍

If I grab v6 too soon, it will only toy with my left brain, leaving the creative side (right side) wondering What the..., we have work to do here! Since finalizing and mastering being also analytical and methodical,, I might very well have that bass-ackwards.

So I'll wait for the simple fact (for me) of avoiding interuptions. I often interrupt myself without any outside help.
i.e., I added two new songs, and that's bumping two out, but I'm still excited about the results. S1V5 rocks!

Enjoy v6 though! Exciting time, either way!

P.s. I forgot one other item on my wishlist.
*Guitar tablature symbols in the music notation.
One can hope.
😋
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by BobF on Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:51 pm
Lokeyfly wrote
BobF wrote: "Side-by-Side as opposed to installing over the current version."

Ah! Lol. Thanks. I have v1, 2, 3, and 4 on my other laptop, with 5 on the newer one. I can always revert back to any version if needed. 👍

If I grab v6 too soon, it will only toy with my left brain, leaving the creative side (right side) wondering What the..., we have work to do here! Since finalizing and mastering being also analytical and methodical,, I might very well have that bass-ackwards.

So I'll wait for the simple fact (for me) of avoiding interuptions. I often interrupt myself without any outside help.
i.e., I added two new songs, and that's bumping two out, but I'm still excited about the results. S1V5 rocks!

Enjoy v6 though! Exciting time, either way!

P.s. I forgot one other item on my wishlist.
*Guitar tablature symbols in the music notation.
😋

Distractions are a way of life here. That and trying to remember what I went into the other room for :D

-

Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
by garyshepherd on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:08 am
A List Editor for Midi and Automation events editing would be nice - but that would be useful, and not bright and shiny. Also get rid of the awful Scratch Pad and give us Subsequences instead (Scratch Pad is just a half baked version of that) - but that won't happen either.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Studio One 6.6 Professional Minus (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.3, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Lokeyfly on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:11 am
garyshepherd wroteA List Editor for Midi and Automation events editing would be nice - but that would be useful, and not bright and shiny. Also get rid of the awful Scratch Pad and give us Subsequences instead (Scratch Pad is just a half baked version of that) - but that won't happen either.

Good one, Gary. Hope you get that. Yeah, funny thing with the scratchpad. I hadn't tried it in years, and last week I was trying to sort out a new song's structure. I gave scratchpad another try and after pasting in two or three arranger part sections, the tempo drastically changed on its own, inside scratchpad only. By half speed! I never had different tempos in the song at all. Not mapped or otherwise. Totally useless. Fortunately, if I highlighted the arranger track, open the track inspector and doable click on sections (far left) just before they end, they preview sections really smoothly. Really good workaround!

Yeah, features don't have to be bright and shiny, but logic can account for a lot. I e. Loop skipforward, MIDI editor, velocity metering, etc. just make sense.
It's years now, and really quite peculiar not to have. That's why I usually applaud everyone's own needs, as long as it's not some boat anchor.

Given the choice to go to 6.0, and not 5.6, Studio One should have some worthy additions (one would hope). Still, the real test of a proper move forward will be those still lacking incidentals that carry on to this day.
Love the program. Hate the sitting on hands mentality to round off industry wide essentials.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by musicchamber on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:17 am
My wish list

Scratch Pad - rewrite it and turn it into a Digital Performer 'Chunks' work flow
Score Editor - continue to add and improve it with features and functions.
Dolby Atmos - Surround / Dolby Atmos support
Tempo Editing - A better and more redefined editor for tempo
Video Support - Expand on what currently is available
Midi - Scrap the 'look guys no midi' philosophy and re-write a super stable midi clock that is rock solid. Support for Sys Ex etc
Midi List Editor - This would be useful

If all of that got implemented, I would be in Heaven!

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by garyshepherd on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:30 am
musicchamber wroteMy wish list

Scratch Pad - rewrite it and turn it into a Digital Performer 'Chunks' work flow
Score Editor - continue to add and improve it with features and functions.
Dolby Atmos - Surround / Dolby Atmos support
Tempo Editing - A better and more redefined editor for tempo
Video Support - Expand on what currently is available
Midi - Scrap the 'look guys no midi' philosophy and re-write a super stable midi clock that is rock solid. Support for Sys Ex etc
Midi List Editor - This would be useful

If all of that got implemented, I would be in Heaven!

Yes to Midi List Editor
Massive yes to "Chunks" - or Subsequences as we called them in Opcode Vision, or Blocks in Reason.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Studio One 6.6 Professional Minus (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.3, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Lokeyfly on Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:53 am
Here's Studio One's guitar tab approach in v5.x

They shouldn't advertise "Guitat tab" as a feature without adding "on training wheels".

https://youtu.be/L4SqNH8kjU8

Anyway, onward and forward. To new and improved v6 horizons!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by peterbirch on Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:37 am
Thank you Lokeyfly I didn't know about that.

Just goes to show if you have a decent manual and not a one page user guide, I would have got that 😀

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ
by roland1 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:34 am
I'm just going through all the posts here (first time, really) and noticed this one (referenced below).

I have two schools of thought on this. One thing I've noticed is that, in the past, during the disco era and the new wave movement, there were people who could really play and program their way to a hit song. They didn't get signed for their looks. They actually had to be good at their craft.

And BT was no slouch, either. He was a genius with his gear. And in more modern times, there's Marc Rebillet, who's taking the one man band concept to a whole new level.

I think the problem that we, the nearly dead generation, may be having with the modern approach to music making is with the inherent laziness factor in that style of music creation, which has spawned the jokes about dumbing down S1 so that you can stop being talented and technical altogether.

I come from an era where I couldn't have really competed against my famous musical contemporaries. I know that, even though I had a successful run as a live entertainer (when it was still possible). It's that kind of talent rarity that makes music so magical.

But today, it seems to be about selling the DAW and the gear to dreamers; people who want to be rich and/or internet famous and aren't really into the long haul aspect of becoming a musician or a serious technician who can help others to record. That's where we get the jokes about "loops" and "beatz" from — like going to Walmart to buy your next song idea...etc. That sort of thing.

But yeah, this new release will probably signal the direction that S1 is going in terms of which market it wants to target. I hope that market is still inclusive of me.

Tuoni64 wroteI too, as a playing musician, date from the 1980s.

In defense of our younger colleagues, Electronic Dance Music is much more complicated and harder than it looks to get right (I've tried); a good deal of it derives from the synth-pop of the 1980s which, as a synth player during the UK New Romantics era, I'm at least partially responsible for ;-)

Looking further back from the 1980s, we may have turned out greats like Deep Purple, Kate Bush, The Cure, and Ramones (entirely chosen at random out of my personal faves) but we also have to balance that with the indelible stain of inventing Disco & Funk (the Hustle anyone?) around the same time. And let's not forget Punk, I was actively part of that scene and while it was fun to play it can hardly be described as melodic or musically sophistimacated ;-)

And of course, this entire post is all totally tongue in cheek :lol:

Jason.

PS: We are a little off topic here again - seems to happen!

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by IanM5 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:58 am
I'm interested to see what's in V6 but it needs to be a whole lot better than V5 to tempt me away from V4... :D

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by BobF on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:07 am
IanM5 wroteI'm interested to see what's in V6 but it needs to be a whole lot better than V5 to tempt me away from V4... :D

V4.6.2 is an awesome version

-

by PreAl on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:15 am
IanM5 wroteI'm interested to see what's in V6 but it needs to be a whole lot better than V5 to tempt me away from V4... :D

Well V5 is one louder than V4.
Similar story from V5 to V6.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Lokeyfly on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:29 pm
BobF wrote

V4.6.2 is an awesome version

I have 4.6 2 on my Sony Laptop, i7 and it is as rock solid as I'd ever need. I only went to v5 after Five point 2 which was almost one year later and only for the clip gain. When they added clip gain to the Project page, that was huge for me because there's just times no matter how well mixed, when mastering, I can get just a little more overall oomph out of softer passages without having to use the limiter. The limiter is still in each song, but it's directed at a particular more subtle dynamic.

This allows me to get about 10 LUFS, just from from raising those low passages.

That said, as cool as v5.5.2 is, the stability of v4.6.2 is much more solid. That accounts for a lot!

No need to chase anything less stable, unless that something weighs in. Smart move waiting until those benefits prove out. There's just so many other essentials to weigh in on.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by gregghart on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:31 pm
PreAl wrote

Well V5 is one louder than V4.
Similar story from V5 to V6.

Wait until V11. We can then say, "This one goes to 11."

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by BezowinZ on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:19 pm
Perfect timing! This drops before my Cubase demo expires. Makes my decision on which to move forward with that much easier.

JohnBW wroteSo the question is, will v6 be more like Ableton or Cubase?
I'm hoping for some Cubase features, specifically from their mixer. The metering, Control Room, Pre, EQ & Console sections... just copy the whole thing.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, iMac, OS 10.14.6
2.8GHz 4-Core i7, 16GB RAM, MBP, OS 12.6
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by taylorscott2 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:47 pm
BezowinZ wrotePerfect timing! This drops before my Cubase demo expires. Makes my decision on which to move forward with that much easier.

JohnBW wroteSo the question is, will v6 be more like Ableton or Cubase?
I'm hoping for some Cubase features, specifically from their mixer. The metering, Control Room, Pre, EQ & Console sections... just copy the whole thing.

I have a soft spot for Ableton as that is what I learned audio on, but S1 needs to be in no way like Ableton, it needs to embrace being a full-fledged DAW like Cubase. Cubase has some amazing features, it just feels OLD. If S1 could catch up to some of the more 'pro' features that Cubase has, it would be really amazing.

And if they added audio post features that Nuendo has, it would be god-tier. That'll never happen though.

Studio One 6 (Sphere)
Windows 10
Ryzen 7950x (16-Core)
64GB 6000mhz RAM
2x 2TB NVME M.2 SSD's
1x 4TB NVME M.2 SSD
Nvidia 4070 TI
ioStation 24c

174 postsPage 3 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9