20 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've done this with Audacity in the past, so I know it can be done. Is it possible with S1? Everything I've found so far on the topic is very complicated and/or requires an audio interface set to loopback or something. I'd like to do it on an instance of S1 at my desk (no USB interface like in the home studio).

If it's not possible, is it some sort of conscious decision by S1 designers to limit piracy? I'm paying for sphere and S1 pro, it seems silly to have to download Audacity...

StudioOne Professional (Sphere) w/ PreSonus 1824c
Recording Drums with 7 mic inputs
Computer: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, MSI-7390A Pro, 32 GB DDR4-2666, Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card
by brundle-fly on Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:33 pm
Regardless of the DAW this capability needs to be available in the interface. Basically you need the output routed back to the input. Most onboard audio (e.g. Realtek) and basic soundcards can do it by changing the Input in the mixer app from Mic/Line to 'What U Hear' or 'Stereo Mix'. More advanced ASIO interfaces may have a mixer app in which you can set up a virtual loopback path.

Studio One 3 Pro, Notion 5, Cakewalk by Bandlab
2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424 (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
by Tacman7 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:01 pm
If you use windows audio instead of your interface, windows sounds are routed into S1.

Where you select your audio interface, audio setup.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Chuck37 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:34 pm
Tacman7 wroteIf you use windows audio instead of your interface, windows sounds are routed into S1.

Where you select your audio interface, audio setup.

Can you be more specific/detailed? When I fire up S1, it says windows audio, but when I try to build a track the inputs say things like "input L+R -> disabled 1+2". When I record, it's just flatlined.

Computer: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, MSI-7390A Pro, 32 GB DDR4-2666, Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive, EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card
by Lokeyfly on Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:55 am
Loopback capability on your audio interface, as mentioned. If it doesn't have to be in real time, you can use software such as VLC Media Player. Only there's a learning curve. Those are the paths I'm aware of.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Tacman7 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:28 am
I thought you should hear audio from windows audio so I tried it and it recorded youTube.

But this morning I looked closer and I was getting the loopback from my interface.

Sorry, looked good at the time.

There's a lot of ways, google this: virtual audio loopback

NotWinAudio.jpg

I tried turning the Motu off but then there's no audio input.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by roland1 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:08 am
FYI (for Mac users reading this).

On Mac you can still use soundflower. You have to create a multi-output device and incorporate both sunflower and your regular monitoring system so you can hear what's being recorded.

Macs are a little more tricky. There are internal routing apps that you can buy for this, too.
Last edited by roland1 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by patm300e on Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:02 am
I do this all the time. In Windows make sure you select the normal (PC) audio device to play sounds.
Then, I use a jack like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3- ... P7DR&psc=1

The 1/8" side goes to your Headphone jack. The 1/4" goes to AUX Input of your interface. In your case, I believe you would select Line level input, but you can play with that. Start with the PC volume level low as it may overdrive your interface.
Use the interface to monitor. I do this with My Behringer X18 as well as my Behringer UMC204HD.

Studio One 5.1 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by Jemusic on Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:49 pm
Read the OP carefully. The OP does not want to use any audio interface at all. All suggestions using any form of interface attached are irrelevant. He wants to just use WIndows audio only. Nothing else.

It can be done. (brundle-fly explained it earlier) Nothing extra is required. Firstly you set the audio device as Windows Audio in Studio One. Then you need to go into Windows and pull up the more advanced sound settings. (Sound Control Panel) Go to the Recording tab. You will see Stereo Mix as one of the options but it may show up as disabled. (default) Click on properties and enable it. Click Apply.

Now you can open YouTube etc and play a video. Go back to Studio One and set up an audio track. You will see stereo mix as the input source.

Only thing here is do not input monitor in Studio One as you get a feedback loop. Just enable record on that track but not input monitor.

Latency wont be great but as you are just recording audio from YouTube it does not matter.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by roland1 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:18 pm
Since when did we start answering the actual questions being asked? I didn't get that memo. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Chuck37 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:44 pm
So my channel input is "Input L+R -> Stereo Mix (2 Realtek Audio) 1+ 2" and record is enabled without monitoring. In Windows, the input is set to stereo mix. But I still so no activity on the input in the console, and when I record it is totally flat. What else might I be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

by Jemusic on Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:26 pm
Have you set Windows Audio as the interface in Studio One. I tested this and it definitely all worked great. Have you set Windows sound output as the speakers too. I have got a bluetooth speaker in my house and my Windows laptop tends to output to that. I have to manually tell it to go to the speakers.

Do you hear what you want to record through your laptop or computer speakers. The Windows volume control also effects the level going into Studio One. Is it down? Its important to get sound coming out from your computer first.

Is your Windows audio enabled as well. For example many of us who have interfaces attached disable the internal Windows audio completely. You may have to re-enable it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Chuck37 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:47 pm
Yeah, Windows Audio is what S1 is using. It sees the stereo mix as an option, it just doesn't seem to do anything (no audio activity). I'm listening on wired headphones ("Realtek HD audio") and hear the audio correctly. S1 is outputting to "Realtek digital audio", which I'm not sure what that is exactly - when I switch to that in Windows settings, I hear nothing. It apparently connects to an optical output on the back of the PC. Should the output be critical to seeing activity on the input?

FWIW, I have a little mic icon in the taskbar and it says S1 is using the mic. It seems like it's hooked up on the S1 side, but the audio isn't actually routing there. But I still struggle a little sometimes with S1 settings. I have the console up and see an input for stereo mix. I should see activity there shouldn't I? My audio channel is hooked to that input.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Well, I kind of got it to work. On a lark, I plugged my headphones into the speaker jack on the back of the PC instead of the headphone jack on the front. This somehow enabled it. I guess the stereo mix is linked to the speaker output, and Windows doesn't send audio to a jack if it doesn't see something plugged in there? Tomorrow I'll see if I can just plug a spare extension cable in there or something to keep it alive and still use my headphones with the front panel jack.

by Jemusic on Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:36 pm
The only thing that works is when you send Windows audio to the speakers. You must hear the audio first through the speakers in your laptop/computer before this will work. One reason it may not be working for you is you are sending the Windows audio somewhere else.

Ok I just checked with my laptop and when I plug headphones into the headphone jack on the side, the audio is fed to the phones and it still goes to Studio One. Desktop computers might be different to this though, I do get that. You have already found front and rear phone jacks are different for you.

Also Studio One may record the microphone but that is also incorrect. When I do this the microphone in the laptop produces no levels. Only the audio from Windows from Youtube etc..

I have noticed the background or quiescent noise is higher doing it this way. Recording from another computer into my main computer via an interface is much better in this regard.

by Chuck37 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:29 am
Yeah, on my desktop, the back panel speaker outputs are considered as different from the front panel headphone jack. Windows can only route one place at a time, and stereo mix corresponds to the speakers specifically, not headphones. If I plug a dummy connection into the speaker port, it becomes an available option for routing in windows, but unless I specifically route there, S1 doesn't see any audio.

It's not a big deal since I won't be doing this often, but if I wanted to make the setup more slick, I could just get some speakers with a headphone port and ignore the front panel

The only thing left is to confirm that I can actually hear playback from S1. The I/O setup shows the output routing to "Realtek digital audio" and I'm not 100% what that means. Hopefully it finds its way to the speaker. I'll check that tonight.

by BobF on Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:35 am
I've always kept Audacity installed to keep from mucking about with my DAW configs.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by brundle-fly on Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:29 pm
Chuck37 wroteI guess the stereo mix is linked to the speaker output, and Windows doesn't send audio to a jack if it doesn't see something plugged in there?

That sounds right, but it may also be that the headphone jack is wired to physically interrupt the output to to the speaker jack. I've encountered both these scenarios with different onboard audio systems.

Glad you got it sorted in any case.

Studio One 3 Pro, Notion 5, Cakewalk by Bandlab
2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424 (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
by patm300e on Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:58 am
Jemusic wroteRead the OP carefully. The OP does not want to use any audio interface at all. All suggestions using any form of interface attached are irrelevant. He wants to just use WIndows audio only. Nothing else.

My Bad!

Studio One 5.1 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by JohnBW on Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:39 pm
BobF wroteI've always kept Audacity installed to keep from mucking about with my DAW configs.

Audacity is a handy tool to keep on hand. And the fact that it can use Windows audio WASAPI means that it is always ready to output to my audio interface.

No messing with my DAW here! Can grab the loopback directly from my USB audio without changing anything else, just by making a one-click setting in the Audacity interface.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by Chuck37 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:43 am
Okay, so I recorded what I wanted (silently), but now I find that I can't hear anything from S1. The issue here is that I have no audio interface on this PC, so I'm using windows audio. The only available output (from within S1) at the moment is "realtek digital audio", which I believe is an actual digital output from the back panel of my PC (motherboard). This option is one of several visible in the windows settings, the others being the speaker output, the headphone jack and the monitor speakers via HDMI. But only "digital audio" is visible within S1 I/O settings and that one is useless. Any ideas?

20 posts
Page 1 of 1