42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Does anybody else have any issues when closing S1? I'm using Pro, and when i go to close S1, no matter what way i do it it freezes then i have to force quit. i've tried closing the song first then cmd+q, just cmd+q, or hitting the red x button on mac to close it out. 95% of the time this happens to me. I don't lose anything as i save everything before closing but it's very annoying.

I do get a report log or whatever when it happens. not entirely sure how to read it though ;) . I suppose i could post it up here next time it happens.

mac mini 2.6 quad core // RME UCX // modded GAP 73 // Warm Audio WA76// Blue Reaktor, Avantone CV-12Shure SM7B, Shure SM57 & 58 mic's // Korg ms2000b // Korg Padkontrol // Novation sl-mkii // DSI Tetra // Elektron Rytm // Moog Sub 37 // '91 American deluxe strat // Squire Jaguar bass // Martin D-15M // Arturia V-collection // Komplete 9 // UVI Vintage Vault//Lots more vst's and plugs...
by -Luis- on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:32 pm
Post the report log to try to help you.
by Steve Carter on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:00 pm
Hi Overcoat - did you resolve the crash issue when closing Studio One? I'm using Studio One 2 pro on an imac 10.8.5 and the program never just shuts down - I always get "Studio One quit unexpectedly" I get an option to report the issue (to Apple) but I just hit ignore because it doesn't seem to cause any problems and it's been happening for a long time. I figure it might resolve itself in the next update - hopefully.
Regards... Steve

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by ckett on Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:45 am
Having the same problems on two different Mac Pros running both Mavericks and Mountain Lion. It doesn't happen all of the time but I do get the dreaded "Studio One quit unexpectedly" message at least once a week.
by kitwatson on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:59 pm
Would like to add to this existing thread, in that I am almost always (say, 95% of the time) getting the "Studio One quit unexpectedly" alert at the tail end of doing a Quit on the app. Wouldn't that make it an EXPECTED quit? But seriously... it's the last thing I see on the screen. The rest of the app interface has already closed down. I don't lose anything, and nothing is corrupted when I reopen the song, but it's quite unnerving. Is it the general consensus that a third-party plug-in the culprit in these cases? I'm using some Arturia synths.

DAW: Studio One 5.4.1.66992 macOS x64; Host Platform: Apple iMac (27-inch Retina 5K, 2017), 64GB RAM, macOS Big Sur 11.6; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2 GHz (4-Core); Apple SSD SM0128L; AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB GDDR5, 5120 x 2880 Retina. Audio Interface: PreSonus Quantum 2626 (Thunderbolt 3), ver 1.3-82. Mixing: Mackie 802VLZ4 8-Channel Mic/Line Mixer. Monitoring: JBL LSR308 active monitors; JBL LSR310S sub. Key Software: Arturia V Collection 8; Waves Diamond V13; Melodyne studio 5.1.1.003 (64-bit).

Studio One 5.4.1.66992 macOS x64 (Built on Oct 12 2021)
by jsljustin on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:34 am
I have had issues since version 2 (since I have had S1, all versions of 2 and including V3).

I did post a bug report, got no answer and no fix. I often get a "Pure virtual function call" (C++) error message. S1 does not shutdown cleanly when this happens, I often have to use task manager to shut the instance down. Then, my recent songs list is changed to whatever it was the last time S1 shut down properly. S1 can do this (crashing on exit) sometimes when choosing "Close All", or just "Close" or when properly quitting (and not just closing projects)..

I just live with it, as, like I said, support weren't interested in this problem. I even sent crash dump files etc.

I was wondering if it was related to a plugin, or was a VST/VSTi issue perhaps?

Justin

[edit] - I am running Windows 7 SP1, 64bit.
Last edited by jsljustin on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
by kitwatson on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:42 am
I'm thinking that is must be a misbehaving plug-in. I should try to create some songs that have no AU or VST instrument tracks, and see if this still happens. Betcha it won't...

DAW: Studio One 5.4.1.66992 macOS x64; Host Platform: Apple iMac (27-inch Retina 5K, 2017), 64GB RAM, macOS Big Sur 11.6; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2 GHz (4-Core); Apple SSD SM0128L; AMD Radeon Pro 580 8GB GDDR5, 5120 x 2880 Retina. Audio Interface: PreSonus Quantum 2626 (Thunderbolt 3), ver 1.3-82. Mixing: Mackie 802VLZ4 8-Channel Mic/Line Mixer. Monitoring: JBL LSR308 active monitors; JBL LSR310S sub. Key Software: Arturia V Collection 8; Waves Diamond V13; Melodyne studio 5.1.1.003 (64-bit).

by simon48 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:46 am
This happens often for me with no other ill effects (v3.0 - win7Sp1 - 64bit)

Plug ins vary and sometimes with none at all at the start of a song
by jsljustin on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:02 am
Yes, I have to say it happens with so many if not all of my projects that, if it is a plugin or virtual instrument, it is probably more than one causing the problem. It could be possibly a dozen or more. So is the problem with the plugin, or studio one? I mean, VST is a standard, and you'd think that such standards are adhered to.. I know Reaper had a plugin firewall, so the issue surely could be handled by studio one, assuming that it is a plugin or many plugins to blame. Given that so many of my projects do this, and given the fact that you all probably don't have close to the same instrument and plugin set I have, then it is better solved at the DAW level?

One observation: the last time S1 (Version 3 Pro) crashed on me, I reopened the exact same song, and did nothing to require a re-save. I then closed S1 and it didn't crash. That tells me that it is a S1 issue.. I mean, the exact same song, in the exact same saved state, crashes one time but not another. Identical plugins used etc..
by jsljustin on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:30 pm
It just crashed again on me just now..

I had saved a song I was working on. Then I chose "Close All" and I got the usual "Pure Function call" C++ error.. then I got the Windows error "Studio One has encountered an error and needs to close"..

Reopened the same song that I had open when the close made Studio one crash, and the play marker was halfway through (not at the start as it usually is) and the click track (which definitely was NOT on when I saved it before) was on..

This is clearly a Studio One issue. Why would a plugin of mine cause the click track to be reactivated due to a crash?

Does Studio One staff read these threads? This bug has been present since V2.X.X and to be honest it is unnerving, I sometimes think "Ok, how can I manage to close a song without it crashing?"
by kitwatson on Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:57 pm
No, I have been told that PreSonus staff do not frequent these user support forums. If we believe we have found a bug that needs addressing, I believe we have to submit a support ticket at http://support.presonus.com/requests/new

by scottyo7 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:57 pm
jsljustin wroteIt just crashed again on me just now..

I had saved a song I was working on. Then I chose "Close All" and I got the usual "Pure Function call" C++ error.. then I got the Windows error "Studio One has encountered an error and needs to close"..

This is clearly a Studio One issue. Why would a plugin of mine cause the click track to be reactivated due to a crash?

No... it's not clearly a Studio One issue. :hunf:
I have nearly the same PC as you but with Win8.1 and I've not had this issue. I've opened v3 ~30 times with no problems.

In the past, I did have this occur a couple times with v2 on an older laptop... but... over a period of 2 years. :lol:

Could it be the block/sample size setting in your Audio Interface?
What's your CPU meter doing?
More intensive plugins and multiple instances of them will increase the CPU meter. A PC can only run so many items before something bad happens.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by jsljustin on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:09 pm
scottyo7 wroteNo... it's not clearly a Studio One issue. :hunf:
I have nearly the same PC as you but with Win8.1 and I've not had this issue. I've opened v3 ~30 times with no problems.

I have no problems opening Studio One, it is crashing on exiting.
The error I get is a C++ runtime pure virtual function call. The faulting module for me is reported as the Presonus Cross platform module, which might be why I am getting the crash on exit on Windows 7, but you are not getting it on Windows 8?
by Dawfreak on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:26 am
I have seen this issue with 3.1 on Windows 10.
Usually all that is needed is to install the latest c++ redistribute for 32bit or 64bit depending on your OS .

Would be good if devs / tech sort this or make a faq on how to fix it.
by donaldbaarns on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:24 am
I had a client with the "Crash on closing" errors. He had set up (connected) a midi keyboard, then unplugged it later (because it wasn't being used anymore.) As long as he had it unplugged, it crashed. (It took him a long time to figure out that it didn't crash when plugged in, since he rarely used it...)

Once he removed that keyboard from S1, it closed cleanly instead of crashing.

Another had an external hard drive that had a USB cable that was too long and going through a hub of some sort.

The drive worked most of the time, but once the drive was directly connected with a shorter USB cable, it stopped crashing during the close sequence.

Lots of moving parts, and these may NOT relate to your issues. In both of the cases above, it appeared to be an S1 issue, but really it was related to how the items were connected or not.

S1 shouldn't crash if a keyboard or other hardware device is no longer connected, but in the cases above it wasn't losing any data, so I suspect that's considered a lower priority issue.

Don

S1 v6.x Pro - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26, IO 24, Atom
Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
Win 11 Pro-32GB RAM-AMD 3900x
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM
MacOS Ventura (13.4) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group: Studio One Users-Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Courses for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.VOJumpstart.com/

Studio One and iZotope RX Videos for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by jsljustin on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:59 am
You guys do realise that a pure virtual function call error occurs when a base class incorrectly, or wrongly calls a method or a function of that derived class, and in this case, from the destructor?

The destructor gets called when S1 is closed, or attempted to close. Irrespective of what you may think can cause or fix this issue, the fact remains that the code from within the destructor needs to be fixed. This, again is the responsibility of whoever is responsible for maintaining and checking the code, in this case the code that is written within the destructor of studio one's main application.
by shanabit on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:15 am
crash on exit here. every song, every project. OSX 10.5.5 and current S1 Pro

Support was no help

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by Steve Carter on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:53 pm
shanabit wrotecrash on exit here. every song, every project. OSX 10.5.5 and current S1 Pro

Ditto .... OSX Yosemite S1 pro v2.65 and now S1 pro v3.1
Doesn't seem to affect anything saved - just annoying. The developers must be aware of the problem as it's been ongoing for ages now but every update/upgrade has failed to fix the issue!
Maybe it relates to a problem outwith of S1 but it would be nice to have an official explanation... Eh Presonus?

Regards.....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by skiltrip on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:58 am
This crash on shutdown issue has plagued me for years now.

At this point I'm on the latest version of 3, OSX 10.10.5. Crashes are with or without an interface attached, and regardless of plugins used.

5,1 Mac Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core 2011 16GB RAM | 2018 MacBook Air 13" | Studio One 3.5 | Presonus 24c | Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 | Mackie 802-VLZ3
by shanabit on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:03 am
S1 is gonna go bye byes here, Im TIRED of this BS not being addressed

I dont feel confident when my DAW CRASHES every time I try to close it!!!!

Its the ONLY DAW that does this here as well. Cubase, Logic, Reaper, MixBuss are all just fine

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013

42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3