9 posts
Page 1 of 1
my layers got split up and in sections and pieces and of course, they can't be edited... i guess I could bounce to new track but that defeats the purpose of using layers.

Attachments
Screenshot SOne layers.jpg

Maarkr
Studio: Studio One, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melodyne Studio + others (former user of Reaper, Acid, Sonar, Cubase and Reason)
i7 8700/Giga Z390 mobo, Win11 Pro-64 w32Gb, MOTU Ultralite mk4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Epi Les Paul, Zoom R-16...

Latest album release at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
by MisterE on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:40 pm
You accidentally split them. Go into Edit/History and revert to the point right before the split took place.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Maarkr on Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:09 pm
but that will also revert one weeks worth of editing?

Maarkr
Studio: Studio One, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melodyne Studio + others (former user of Reaper, Acid, Sonar, Cubase and Reason)
i7 8700/Giga Z390 mobo, Win11 Pro-64 w32Gb, MOTU Ultralite mk4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Epi Les Paul, Zoom R-16...

by MisterE on Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:51 pm
Do you find the unintended slice and know for sure it's from a week and who knows how many edits ago?

There are ways to recover without reverting, but I haven't done that for a while, and I can't remember them off the top of my head. Someone else will probably chime in with the procedure.

In the future, I would highly recommend combining your layered takes right after you record them; a week later, who can remember which ones felt best?

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Maarkr on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:13 pm
well, that's one thing i've recently learned about using layers... i've used a LOT of layers on my current song and I've had issues trying to do editing on that main track and moving sections and events around. Prob also hard on resources with many fx on that track, altho it doesn't show it.
I need to copy the main layer track when I've made the layer selections, THEN copy it to a new track before I trim the silence, do initial adjustments, adjust with melodyne, and ALL other tweaks for the final main vocal track, OR as suggested, since SOne isn't able to handle lots of layers with editing, delete the layers when you're done with them.
You try, you learn.

Maarkr

by MisterE on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:10 am
Maarkr wrotewell, that's one thing i've recently learned about using layers... i've used a LOT of layers on my current song and I've had issues trying to do editing on that main track and moving sections and events around. Prob also hard on resources with many fx on that track, altho it doesn't show it.
I need to copy the main layer track when I've made the layer selections, THEN copy it to a new track before I trim the silence, do initial adjustments, adjust with melodyne, and ALL other tweaks for the final main vocal track, OR as suggested, since SOne isn't able to handle lots of layers with editing, delete the layers when you're done with them.
You try, you learn.

I don't mean to sound critical, but there are a lot of false statements in your post.

First off, whether you have one FX or ten on a track with layers has nothing to do with the audio in those layers (unless you've specifically applied FX to certain events, which I'm pretty sure S1 allows you to do these days, I haven't used it myself). Layers have next to nothing to do with hogging system resources unless you have a really old CPU, and even then it's not like adding one more take is going to hobble your system.

Second, S1 has no trouble handling dozens of layers; you're doing something else strange.

Third, you can remove Melodyne at any time, so your conclusion that you have to copy a track you've comped the layers on will just slow you down. It is true that you should have already comped a track before you apply Melodyne.

But let's zoom out for a minute. From what I can tell from your posts, you could really benefit from taking a course and methodically going through all the tutorials. You could be be a brilliant musician or a great songwriter, but your workflow instincts are . . . something that could benefit from taking an online course.

On a different note, I had a brainstorm about your initial problem (which I'm surprised no one else has a suggestion for). What you probably could do, assuming that track that got split is important to you or a performance you can't recreate, is copy the entire Song folder, then go into Edit/History in the copy and revert to the point you made that inadvertent split. Finish comping the layers there, then copy the perfected track back into the original folder.

by Maarkr on Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:54 pm
well, i'm just older and prob don't do a good job of communicating and using the correct terms...

Maarkr

by MisterE on Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:28 am
Maarkr wrotewell, i'm just older and prob don't do a good job of communicating and using the correct terms...

Well I'm older than you, old enough to admit what I don't know and get help from people who've already figured things out, like people who produce S1 video tutorials -- which haven't sunk into your head that you could really benefit from.

Unless you're willing to start at the beginning and methodically work yourself up to intermediate and expert levels, it won't matter how good a job you do of communicating or whether you use the correct terms, because your workflow will be so erratic that you'll never accomplish what you hoped to accomplish when you bought S1.

by j0001s on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:09 pm
If you're doing time correction by moving events around, you probably want to uncheck "Layers follow events". Default is checked. That way, if you want to move a section, the layers underneath will stay put. It's found in the inspector here:

Attachments
Layers.png

9 posts
Page 1 of 1