10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Sorry for not RTFMing first, this just popped into the brain sitting in a traffic jam :twisted:

Is there a way to see the frequency distribution in the stereo field? With stock or 3rd party plugins.. does not matter.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by SwitchBack on Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:55 am
Maybe something like this? If not then at least the page will give you a few keywords to widen your search.
by Tacman7 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:37 am
A splitter can do frequency splits.

SplitFreq5.gif

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
SwitchBack wroteMaybe something like this? If not then at least the page will give you a few keywords to widen your search.

Close. Some graph that shows which frequencies go out mid and which go out side / LCR. Although I can not see the actual Hz here, it already gives a good indication of how much energy goes in which direction.

It would be great for example, if that lower left chart would be color coded based on freqency, like in a spectrogram. Or maybe spectrograms already do this and I just answered my own question? lol :roll: :punk: not sure.. more investigation needed.

Tacman7 wroteA splitter can do frequency splits.

SplitFreq5.gif

How would this show the frequency distribution? I do not actually want to split anything, I am just looking for something that can show me "which freqs live where" in the stereo field in order to make certain orchestration or mixing decisions. But thank you for taking the effort to record all that!

Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by SwitchBack on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:31 am
What about a combination? Use the splitter to set up a handful of frequency bands and insert a PAZ frequency analyser in each branch. That will show you where the highs, high-mids, mids, low-mids and lows go. Maybe not exactly what you wanted, but close ;)
by Tacman7 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:33 am
You mean like this stuff?
https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Built-In ... 257C_____2

Splitters are really neat though...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
Tacman7 wroteYou mean like this stuff?
https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Built-In ... 257C_____2

Splitters are really neat though...

Honestly, I've never really dove much into spectrum analyzers because I always thought that just using an EQ plugin was more flexible. But this is really cool! Thank you for that suggestion.

And I agree regarding splitters. I am mostly an orchestral composer type of guy, but I am working on a metal track at the moment to "slightly" shift from the status quo, and do something different.

You reminded of a great use of the splitter: keeping bass centered - which is something important for metal (or rock bands in general), but not used in orchestral due to the placement of the basses always being on the right.

Using the splitter I can easily just filter out everything under 150Hz, and use a mixtool to swap one channel and be in mono for those lower freq's.

Nice.. you learn something new every day ;)

by Jemusic on Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:12 pm
You could go into M/S mode and treat the sides differently to the centre. eg have a thinner sound in the sides. Solid bass sound in the centre. Then convert back to stereo.

There are some plugins (Boz Digital Labs) that do it too. Mongoose for example centres all the low end in your mix below a cutoff frequency and this can be adjusted.

https://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/mongoose/

You could set up the same sort of signal path using the channel editor in Studio One

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by razorwit on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:03 am
Hey bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer
I've been down a similar rabbit hole for a few weeks and here's how I ended up doing it -

Drop Voxengo MSED on the track or bus you want to analyze, followed by Dual Pan, and then FabFilter Pro-Q. Open both all three and then you can use MSED and Dual Pan to manipulate what is shown in the Pro-Q analyzer. MSED is free, and allows you to manipulate M/S stuff, Dual Pan allows stereo pan manipulation.

Note - any old analyzer will do, I just use Pro-Q because it's kinda my default.

Dean

Dean Winter
Windows 10, RME HDSPe MADI fx -> Lynx Aurora and Antelope Orion,
Mics, compressors, guitars and stuff.
razorwit wroteHey bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer
I've been down a similar rabbit hole for a few weeks and here's how I ended up doing it -

Drop Voxengo MSED on the track or bus you want to analyze, followed by Dual Pan, and then FabFilter Pro-Q. Open both all three and then you can use MSED and Dual Pan to manipulate what is shown in the Pro-Q analyzer. MSED is free, and allows you to manipulate M/S stuff, Dual Pan allows stereo pan manipulation.

Note - any old analyzer will do, I just use Pro-Q because it's kinda my default.

Dean

Thank you for your suggestion Dean. Will try that.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1