12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I had Audio I/O set up right and have been using it for months. While I didn't change a thing, today the routing apparently is all messed up! I don't see what can be wrong in my routing.
Symptom: Any channel I try to record on, records the sound from the other channels, which I obviously do not want, :? and has made me read a lot of articles without finding an answer to this problem and generally waste a lot of time.

This post discusses this problem in a more complex setting than mine:

https://answers.presonus.com/18613/reco ... ding-track

The answer from Techsupport77 contains this:
"If it is showing input when you are simply playing your song back, then you have something routed to that input inside of Loopback." Yes, that is happening. Then continues with "On the Studio One side of things, you will want to check your audio I/O setup. Here are directions for configuring the I/O."
However, the directions that follow are merely a listing of the advantages of this system, not how to get rid of this routing problem.

I know how to configure audio I/O since I've been using it without this symptom so far.
I have my input set to the instrument and the output to main. I don't see any option to un-route all tracks to the recording channel. So I don't understand why it is doing this. Any help is appreciated?

Win 10 Pro 64-bit Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor 3.20 GHz 16GB RAM
Studio One Artist 5.5.2, PreSonus Faderport 8, PreSonus FireStudio mobile w/8 line inputs and Firewire and MIDI S/PDIF (no USB), Tascam 2488 Neo,
MODX8, Akai MPK61, Yamaha P125, Yamaha Steinberg interface, EastWest Gold select libraries
by Jemusic on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:24 pm
One thing I recommend doing, is after you have fully set up your Audio IN/OUT page then export this as an audio IN/OUT configuration file.

Studio One remembers your audio IN/OUT configuration, most of the time but I have found it will on occasions change it for whatever reason. When something strange happens to the Audio IN/OUT settings, then it is usually the configuration that is different or wrong.

Simply go to this page and Import your last IN/OUT configuration. Everything will resume to normal.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 am
Good advice. I haven't personally encountered this issue (3 computers now) but gremlins DO happen in software ;)

Bye......:roll:
by ClaviBenModus on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 am
Simply go to this page and Import your last IN/OUT configuration. Everything will resume to normal.

I assume it's the Import button on the Song Setup page, right? However, there is nothing in that folder (I/O Configurations) because I never exported anything to it before. The Restore to Default button is greyed out. The Make Defalut button is active, but I don't want to make this configuration default.

So, I will definitely export it once I get the configuration back to normal, but I don't know how to get it back to normal. I don't see what is wrong with it the way it is routed now (other than the sound doesn't go where I want). I don't see a way to tell it to stop sending input to the rec track from all the other tracks, and I need to learn how to do that.
It seems to me that since Studio One makes choices for me to route things differently there should be a place where I can tell it what should go where. I don't see that place. The Audio I/O Setup page merely has a selection of input channels from the interface and the outputs, but nothing gives me the option to output tracks to the currently armed Rec track, or reverse that action. In the tracks themselves, I've selected the correct input, and that's about all I can see I'm able to do.

Is there another way that I could retrieve previous configurations other than from that empty folder?

Thanks,

Win 10 Pro 64-bit Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor 3.20 GHz 16GB RAM
Studio One Artist 5.5.2, PreSonus Faderport 8, PreSonus FireStudio mobile w/8 line inputs and Firewire and MIDI S/PDIF (no USB), Tascam 2488 Neo,
MODX8, Akai MPK61, Yamaha P125, Yamaha Steinberg interface, EastWest Gold select libraries
by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:51 am
No.

Some screen shots would help out a lot.

After you set up your audio inputs go to an audio track and click the input, the list of inputs that you set up should be there. Choose one and the track will record from that input.

Monitor button on to hear live input.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:47 am
Needs a systematic approach. Something like:

1. From Configure Audio Device (on the S1 start page) select the interface you want to use for playback and recording in that session.

2. In Audio I/O Setup (in a song) add, assign and name mono/stereo channels for every recording input/track and every output bus you need in the song (or up to what your interface supports). Don't forget to hit Apply.

3. Open S1's Mixer and increase the window's height so you can see (above the faders) where the output bus(es) are routed to. Adjust where needed to the output channels you added under 2.

4. Add tracks and/or increase their height so you can see where those tracks are sourced from. Adjust where needed to the input channels you added under 2.

Now you're ready to record from and playback to the interface you selected under 1. :)
by ClaviBenModus on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:00 pm
SwitchBack wroteNeeds a systematic approach. Something like:

1. From Configure Audio Device (on the S1 start page) select the interface you want to use for playback and recording in that session.

2. In Audio I/O Setup (in a song) add, assign and name mono/stereo channels for every recording input/track and every output bus you need in the song (or up to what your interface supports). Don't forget to hit Apply.
Audio I_O Setup.png

3. Open S1's Mixer and increase the window's height so you can see (above the faders) where the output bus(es) are routed to. Adjust where needed to the output channels you added under 2.
Mixer_Output bus.png

4. Add tracks and/or increase their height so you can see where those tracks are sourced from. Adjust where needed to the input channels you added under 2.
Track inputs.png

Now you're ready to record from and playback to the interface you selected under 1. :)

As you can see from the pictures I had done all those things. The interface is Yamaha Steinberg and it has only one stereo channel named Digital Piano. Yet the Armed for rec track (Piano) receives sound from all other recorded tracks (EP). Why? The Piano track receives input from Piano, EP track from EP, (not that that would make any difference since there is only one stereo from Steinberg anyway). Please see this screenshot how the recording channel (Piano) receives input from EP channel, which it shouldn't:
Rec Track_Receives input from Track2.png

by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:49 pm
Excellent overview. Also shows the problem: your Steinberg interface shows up with only one stereo channel 'Digital Piano' available to S1. You routed that single stereo channel to both the stereo EP and stereo Piano channels you added in S1. Then you set up three stereo tracks, all 3 receiving input from either the Piano channel or from the EP channel, which are still the same stereo channel from the Steinberg.

So when you arm all 3 tracks they will all 3 record the same stereo channel from the Steinberg. If that Steinberg interface is supposed to have more than one stereo channel available for recording then maybe something went wrong with the installation of the interface/driver. If not then you'll need an interface with more channels to record more than one stereo channel at once.
by ClaviBenModus on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:39 pm
SwitchBack wroteExcellent overview. Also shows the problem: your Steinberg interface shows up with only one stereo channel 'Digital Piano' available to S1. You routed that single stereo channel to both the stereo EP and stereo Piano channels you added in S1. Then you set up three stereo tracks, all 3 receiving input from either the Piano channel or from the EP channel, which are still the same stereo channel from the Steinberg.

So when you arm all 3 tracks they will all 3 record the same stereo channel from the Steinberg. If that Steinberg interface is supposed to have more than one stereo channel available for recording then maybe something went wrong with the installation of the interface/driver. If not then you'll need an interface with more channels to record more than one stereo channel at once.

Thank you! Yes, the Digital Piano is the only available channel from this Steinberg interface. So any sound is going to have to come from that channel. I can record any number of tracks using just one input channel, i.e. Lead Guitar, Harmony Guitar, etc, all using the same instrument and the same channel, just different tracks. I don't see why that should be a problem.

I did not arm all 3 tracks. I armed only one.
Rec Track_Receives input from Track2.png
This screenshot shows that when I hit playback, although there is nothing recorded on the Piano track, the meter on the Piano track lits up as it receives sound from the EP track, - which is not armed. So naturally, when I start recording, it will record the playback from EP (and all the other prerecorded tracks), which are not armed. The track that is armed is receiving signal from the playback of the tracks that are not armed, along with signal from the live instrument that I'm trying to record, which is so wrong and I can't even think of a situation when that would be useful to have, let alone have it turn on by itself. (The reason I added multiple inputs, - Piano and EP, - was to see if that would somehow fix the problem. Initially, I had only one input, -Piano, and I used it to record on all tracks with the same result: I would record 2 tracks, Piano1 and Piano2 using the same input, Just like the Guitare example above. When I record Piano2, it will also record the playback from the Piano1 track. I don't see what that has to do with where the source is. The source is the same instrument and the same channel. The track should not record the playback from other tracks!)

Once again, I am not trying to record multiple tracks at once. Just one channel at a time. The single channel interface should suffice for that task. The problem is S1 records the playback of non-armed previously recorded tracks. And I don't see where that can be controlled/turned off from.

by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Yeah, that is strange. I'll try to replicate your setup to see what sort of result I get. May take a bit tho...
by ClaviBenModus on Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:18 pm
I found the culprit. It was my P125 which when used with its Steinberg interface sends audio in a loop. I pressed the function buttons on my Yamaha P125 (metronome & Rhythm together) + the G5 key. That set the loop to off and that fixed it.

by SwitchBack on Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:27 am
Well done. I never would have been able to find that, now knowing that this was outside S1 :)

12 posts
Page 1 of 1