37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Trying to transfer my skills from Ableton Live to Studio One, slowly learning S1 and having a blast doing so, but what I really need to know is the best way to throw down musical ideas in S1 like I can in AL's Session View.

All the vids I see about Scratch Pad concern it's integration with Arrangement Track, which is great and essential to see, but before making use of that I want to know how to throw down all kinds of musical ideas similar to how I can easily and efficiently do so in AL Session View.

Scratch Pad? Lanes? Multiple tracks with the same instrument or vocal in Song Window? Show Page?

All suggestions appreciated! :)

Studio One 5 Pro
Acer Aspire desktop
Windows 10 i3 9th Gen 8GB RAM
Eris 3.5 monitors
Casio CTK-6000 arranger keyboard
by garyshepherd on Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:02 am
Some people like Scratch Pad - I don't. But it depends what stage you are at - if it's in an existing arrangement of a song then you may find Scratch Pad useful - if it's a new bit of a song you can much more easily setup an Arranger Block at the end of the song and start there.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by leosutherland on Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:29 am
When it first came out, I thought Yay! :) this is something I can really use (the Scratchpad, that is).

Truth be told, I've never had a use for it - if necessary I just move further up the timeline to experiment.

The thing that's it really, really useful to me (albeit there are some enhancements it could do with) is the Arranger track - I personally use it all the time when I'm experimenting with stuff. YMMV of course - maybe it's the type of music I do (TD influenced stuff, mostly) - maybe its the type of mind I have :thumbup:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Robdp on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:10 am
leosutherland wroteWhen it first came out, I thought Yay! :) this is something I can really use (the Scratchpad, that is).

Truth be told, I've never had a use for it - if necessary I just move further up the timeline to experiment.

Haha, exactly the same here… it’s actually a selling point I’ve shown to other people, and they have too gone “wow that’s an amazing feature” but never use scratchpad.. ever. Lol
If anything, I’ll use further up in the arrange page to flesh out ideas. I think I’m going to start using it now though. Haha :punk:

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:34 am
Another one for not ever using scratch pad. Color me blind but I have zero percent issues working in the arranger, it's familiar.

I've seen the viddys on scratchpad and it looks cool (and I know Gregor pointed out some good uses) but it's just never been a thing for me. I have an idea, I work in the arranger, and that seems to work for me.

Bye......:roll:
by leosutherland on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:31 am
To our OP, I don't thinks there's a best way to work with S1 per se (or any other DAW for that matter). Taking into account functionalities/limitations of any DAW, I think the best way to work with a DAW is the way that works best for you - not sure if I put that intelligibly or not, though

...said Halo

Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:52 am
Have you tried reaper? :lol: (Oh my, here comes the silly again today! )

by leosutherland on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 am
reggie1979beatz wroteHave you tried reaper? :lol: (Oh my, here comes the silly again today! )

Wonder who is gonna get in there first? :lol:

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by shanabit on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:12 am
Show page is all ya got me thinks. Ive never used it so.....

BitWig is your Ableton equivalent. S1 is a traditional DAW in that regards.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:13 am
leosutherland wrote
reggie1979beatz wroteHave you tried reaper? :lol: (Oh my, here comes the silly again today! )

Wonder who is gonna get in there first? :lol:

It's a VERY old chestnut, but funny anyways ;)

by JohnBW on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:57 am
michaelherbert4 wroteI want to know how to throw down all kinds of musical ideas similar to how I can easily and efficiently do so in AL Session View.

Scratch Pad? Lanes? Multiple tracks with the same instrument or vocal in Song Window? Show Page?

All suggestions appreciated!

Perhaps sharing a bit more about your workflow in Ableton Session View would help guide suggestions.

Since Studio One is based around a traditional linear DAW timeline, most similar to the "Arranger View in Ableton", you won't find that "Session View" workflow in Studio One,

As far as I'm aware, the closest DAW to Ableton with that type of workflow is Bitwig Studio, as was previously mentioned.

Are you comfortable working in Ableton Live's "Arranger View"? If so, you shouldn't have an issue with Studio One.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:17 am
Bitwig?

Yep, I remember!

by roland1 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am
There is a "one button - one click" solution coming soon, if rumors are to be believed.

In the meantime, the fastest way to get your ideas down is to have a template with predetermined synths, drums, etc. You start up Studio One (or whichever DAW survives the apocalypse) and there you are, everything is ready.

The rest is up to you. And that's where most of us get stuck: that "it's up to you now!" part. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by SwitchBack on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:04 am
michaelherbert4 wroteTrying to transfer my skills from Ableton Live to Studio One, slowly learning S1 and having a blast doing so, but what I really need to know is the best way to throw down musical ideas in S1 like I can in AL's Session View.

All the vids I see about Scratch Pad concern it's integration with Arrangement Track, which is great and essential to see, but before making use of that I want to know how to throw down all kinds of musical ideas similar to how I can easily and efficiently do so in AL Session View.

All suggestions appreciated! :)
Maybe have a look at this thread too. AL's solution seems to be more like a pattern editor than a scratch pad per se.
by JohnBW on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:09 pm
michaelherbert4 wroteTrying to transfer my skills from Ableton Live to Studio One, slowly learning S1 and having a blast doing so, but what I really need to know is the best way to throw down musical ideas in S1 like I can in AL's Session View.

Why not continue to "throw down" your musical ideas in Ableton Live? I have Ableton Live and don't see any reason not to use both DAWs.

From the Live Reference Manual

In Live’s Arrangement View, as in all traditional sequencing programs, everything
happens along a fixed song timeline. For a number of applications, this is a limiting paradigm:

•When playing live, or when DJing, the order of pieces, the length of each piece and the
order of parts within each piece is generally not known in advance.
•In the theatre, sound has to react to what happens on stage.
•When working along with a piece of music or a film score, it can be more efficient and
inspirational to start with an improvisation
, which is later refined into the final product.

This is exactly what Live’s unique Session View is for.

I like the Live session view for its non-linear creative possibilities. I realize that many folks have completely arranged and mixed their songs using Live, but I have never really liked its arranger view. I would much rather use Studio One for that.

When ready to finish arranging and mixing the song ideas, why not move the MIDI and/or audio clips over to the arranger in Studio One?

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 pm
Am I the only one who's found the "session" view/recording has gotten less and less tight?

by roland1 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:42 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteAm I the only one who's found the "session" view/recording has gotten less and less tight?

I'm preparing a song for final mix and have noticed something weird. I've got a vocal track (stem) that I'm using in conjunction with the full mix as I work out some extra harmonies. The vocal track keeps going out of sync - unpredictably and without reason. I may start a thread on this cause it makes no sense that it should pop in and out of sync like that.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by michaelherbert4 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:08 pm
JohnBW wroteWhy not continue to "throw down" your musical ideas in Ableton Live? I have Ableton Live and don't see any reason not to use both DAWs.

When ready to finish arranging and mixing the song ideas, why not move the MIDI and/or audio clips over to the arranger in Studio One?

That is exactly my original intention, and I'm sure I will do that (yes, I am not at all giving up AL, just also wanting to use S1 at least equally if not more). But I was hoping not to have to break my workflow while working on a composition in S1.

Tomas George's YT vids explain my AL workflow perfectly--sketch things out with many variations in Session View then move everything into Arrangement View. I had thought S1's Scratch Pad also enabled me to do that, but from reading the thread here no one seems to think that. :?

So why, you might ask, am I enthused about learning Studio One? Well,

1) MIDI/Piano Roll editing (VASTLY superior in S1)
2) Music notation (a primary way I think about music)
3) Chord Track/chord analysis/chord symbols (also a primary way I think about music)

I am not giving up on Sketch Pad--I began to mess around with it last night, and it seems (so far at least) to be just what I was looking for in S1 to record a plethora of ideas. I'll let everyone know how that pans out! :)

Studio One 5 Pro
Acer Aspire desktop
Windows 10 i3 9th Gen 8GB RAM
Eris 3.5 monitors
Casio CTK-6000 arranger keyboard
by reggie1979beatz on Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:09 pm
roland1 wrote
reggie1979beatz wroteAm I the only one who's found the "session" view/recording has gotten less and less tight?

I'm preparing a song for final mix and have noticed something weird. I've got a vocal track (stem) that I'm using in conjunction with the full mix as I work out some extra harmonies. The vocal track keeps going out of sync - unpredictably and without reason. I may start a thread on this cause it makes no sense that it should pop in and out of sync like that.

Weird. But just in case I'm missing something, I was piggybacking off of the Ableton talk.

Now that you mention it, I am having some strange issues with timing in Studio One at times. Starting at a certain point tracks will be "off" of each other until let's say, the loop starts at the beginning again.

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm
michaelherbert4 wrote
JohnBW wroteWhy not continue to "throw down" your musical ideas in Ableton Live? I have Ableton Live and don't see any reason not to use both DAWs.

That is exactly my original intention, and I'm sure I will do that (yes, I am not at all giving up AL, just also wanting to use S1 at least equally if not more). But I was hoping not to have to break my workflow while working on a composition in S1.

Tomas George's YT vids explain my AL workflow perfectly--sketch things out with many variations in Session View then move everything into Arrangement View. I had thought S1's Scratch Pad also enabled me to do that, but from reading the thread here no one seems to think that. :?

So why, you might ask, am I enthused about learning Studio One? Well,

1) MIDI/Piano Roll editing (VASTLY superior in S1)
2) Music notation (a primary way I think about music)
3) Chord Track/chord analysis/chord symbols (also a primary way I think about music)

I am not giving up on Sketch Pad--I began to mess around with it last night, and it seems (so far at least) to be just what I was looking for in S1 to record a plethora of ideas. I'll let everyone know how that pans out! :)

I look forward to your views on "scratch pad". Studio One is indeed quite powerful and can definitely take over, but since Studio One doesn't have the benefit of the session view Live has, you may not be as comfortable.

37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2