16 posts
Page 1 of 1
...without multi-instrument. Not sure why, but they hide Komplete Kontrol instances from my Komplete Kontrol keyboard. Any way...

I asked a long while back and never worked it out. With Presonus killing the way Scenes worked prior to V5, I'm desperate to organize my Console another way.

With many updates since the last time I checked, is there a way to put drum instrument channels and their multi outputs in folders, in the Console? Also, is there a way to put several instrument channels in folders, in the console?

And I'd love to leave my arranger unaffected by anything in the console.

Thank you in advance!

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, iMac, OS 10.14.6
2.8GHz 4-Core i7, 16GB RAM, MBP, OS 12.6
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Lokeyfly on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:57 am
BezowinZ wrote
......With many updates since the last time I checked, is there a way to put drum instrument channels and their multi outputs in folders, in the Console? Also, is there a way to put several instrument channels in folders, in the console?

Thank you in advance!

I'm missing the folders part. As you probably know, folders exist on arrangement tracks, and tracks route to the mixer as they are assigned. It's not a one to one track to mixer basis. Folders can be designated in the arrangement view tracks. You can group tracks and mixer channels but that's another subject (just to point to that ability).

Mixer:
With Kontakt, if you set up the Kontakt mixer outs and assign them as you like, i.e. kick, snare, HH, Tom's, overhead 1, etc. Then at that time, save it as a Kontakt Preset called with multi out drum mixer or something to that effect (important).
Then in Studio One, open that Kontakt instance. In the mixer, open the instruments tab at left. Click open that same Kontakt instance. You can expand each of those same Kontakt Outputs and they will open a channel in your Studio One mixer.

You can if you wish, open another Kontakt drum instance to create another track. Depending on that instance weather it is another of the "Drum Mixer" presets will reflect in Studio One's own mixer.

Of course you can simply duplicate the track if you want the identical setup of two tracks reporting to the one Multi out setup you originally created.

With Kontakt, I avoid multi MIDI setups and work with instances. This way you can opt to have some instances with the "multi mixer outs" setup or a kontack default master mix out. Or mix and add the two. It's easy if you prepare the presets in Kontakt first.
Hope that sheds some light.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by BezowinZ on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:45 pm
Lokeyfly wroteI'm missing the folders part. As you probably know, folders exist on arrangement tracks, and tracks route to the mixer as they are assigned. It's not a one to one track to mixer basis. Folders can be designated in the arrangement view tracks. You can group tracks and mixer channels but that's another subject (just to point to that ability).
Folders (maybe they're not called folders, but they can collapse into 1 "track") are created with multi-instruments. I was hoping that could be done with a single Instrument with multi-outputs.
example on Youtube

Lokeyfly wroteMixer:
With Kontakt, if you set up the Kontakt mixer outs and assign them as you like, i.e. kick, snare, HH, Tom's, overhead 1, etc. Then at that time, save it as a Kontakt Preset called with multi out drum mixer or something to that effect (important).
Then in Studio One, open that Kontakt instance. In the mixer, open the instruments tab at left. Click open that same Kontakt instance. You can expand each of those same Kontakt Outputs and they will open a channel in your Studio One mixer.

You can if you wish, open another Kontakt drum instance to create another track. Depending on that instance weather it is another of the "Drum Mixer" presets will reflect in Studio One's own mixer.

Of course you can simply duplicate the track if you want the identical setup of two tracks reporting to the one Multi out setup you originally created.

With Kontakt, I avoid multi MIDI setups and work with instances. This way you can opt to have some instances with the "multi mixer outs" setup or a kontack default master mix out. Or mix and add the two. It's easy if you prepare the presets in Kontakt first.
Hope that sheds some light.
When I said "without multi-instrument", I was referring to Studio One's version. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. But I'm familiar with Kontakt multis and multi-output instruments. Some of what I'm hoping to pack are Kontakt multi-output instruments.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:15 pm
You can turn on additional audio channels like this:

audio channels.JPG

You have to setup the mixer in Kontact, that's a separate study.

Like for a drum instrument you only need one track, the different pitches can be routed to separate outputs so your snare could have an insert only for it, etc.

With a multitimbral instrument you would need a track for each instrument you want to sound.

Then they could have their own audio channel or they could share an audio channel.

If you want to put those tracks in a folder then they would expand and contract.

You get it setup like you want then put it in a song template so you can start a song with it ready to go.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by BezowinZ on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:25 pm
Tacman7 wroteYou can turn on additional audio channels like this:

audio channels.JPG

You have to setup the mixer in Kontact, that's a separate study.

Like for a drum instrument you only need one track, the different pitches can be routed to separate outputs so your snare could have an insert only for it, etc.

With a multitimbral instrument you would need a track for each instrument you want to sound.

Then they could have their own audio channel or they could share an audio channel.

If you want to put those tracks in a folder then they would expand and contract.

You get it setup like you want then put it in a song template so you can start a song with it ready to go.

I guess I'm not being clear. I already have multi-output instruments setup. I'm only asking about getting the instrument and its muti-outs in a folder or collapsing it into a single track like in the video (3:50 mark) I linked in my 2nd post. I want to do this in the Console. Except I want to do it without setting up a Studio One multi/combo instrument, which is how it's done in the video I linked.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Lokeyfly on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:02 pm
Ah, when you mentioned Kontrol, I went off on a Kontakt tear. Lol.

So with any Multi instrument you'd be OK creating mixer channels. Great.

For track folders, sure you could have single instrumemts for each track bunched into a folder. Their multi outputs might be the way Tacman is showing. That is for all practical purposes, Studio One's version.
Try that while creating channel folders.
That's all I got.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 pm
BezowinZ wrote I'm only asking about getting the instrument and its muti-outs in a folder

Sure, just select all the tracks you want in the folder and right click on them and choose Pack Folder.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by BezowinZ on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:22 pm
Tacman7 wrote
BezowinZ wrote I'm only asking about getting the instrument and its muti-outs in a folder

Sure, just select all the tracks you want in the folder and right click on them and choose Pack Folder.

In the Console? I see no such option. Can you provide further instruction?

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 pm
Ya audio channels don't have folders. I put an instrument with 5 tracks into a multi instrument and then you could hide the audio channels like in the vid. But you loose the 4 tracks, the multi instrument can't take different midi channels, I only hear the first track.

Forum Moderator.

by BezowinZ on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:54 pm
Tacman7 wroteYa audio channels don't have folders. I put an instrument with 5 tracks into a multi instrument and then you could hide the audio channels like in the vid. But you loose the 4 tracks, the multi instrument can't take different midi channels, I only hear the first track.

I'd only be using 1 MIDI channel. But like I said in the original post, I don't want to use an S1 multi instrument. It hides the Komplete instance from my Komplete controller. I guess what I'm looking for is still not possible.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:36 am
As I stated earlier,
* Tracks (arrangement) are not a one to one relationship with channels (mixer).

*Tracks can have folders. Not channels.

Since multi instruments you don't want, you could create (instrument depending) its own single MIDI and audio out. If you do that with a number of instances and each instance has its own track, then select all of them in the arrangement tracks view and pack to a folder. You'd have whatever those individual track output(s) are assigned. That might be to one channel (mixer) or multiple channels (mixer). All a folder really does is pack tracks for easy grouping. It does not assign its own output(s).

As descriptions can get a little gnarly at times, especially when different DAW's and manufacturers call them out in their own ways, you may want to show a breakdown or tree. We have a good idea what you're trying to do, but you may have some other need as well.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by BezowinZ on Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:00 am
Lokeyfly wroteAs I stated earlier,
* Tracks (arrangement) are not a one to one relationship with channels (mixer).

*Tracks can have folders. Not channels.

I fully understand both of these things. Whatever it's called to collapse the multi-outputs of an instrument down to one channel like in the video I posted, that's what I'm aiming for.

Lokeyfly wroteSince multi instruments you don't want, you could create (instrument depending) its own single MIDI and audio out. If you do that with a number of instances and each instance has its own track, then select all of them in the arrangement view and pack to a folder. You'd have whatever those instruments output(s) are assigned. That might be to one channel (mixer) or multiple channels (mixer). All a folder really does is group (pack) tracks for easy grouping. It does not assign its own output(s).

That would be 16 arrangement tracks per drum instrument if I'm understanding correctly. My template has 4 drum instruments in it. Too much. But you're saying this won't put the console channels in folders any way, correct?

I'm familiar with folders. All of my arrangement tracks are in them. It's a nice way to tidy things up. Since I can't use Scenes to organize the console any longer, I was hoping there was a folder equivalent for the console.

Lokeyfly wroteAs descriptions can get a little gnarly at times, especially when different DAW's and manufacturers call them out in their own ways, you may want to show a breakdown or tree. We have a good idea what you're trying to do, but you may have some other need as well.

I'm not sure what I could show that would be better than the video I posted. I simply want to pack/collapse an instrument and its multi-outs down to one folder/channel.

Studio One 5.5.2 Pro
Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt
MOTU MIDI Express XT
by Lokeyfly on Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:28 pm
Saw the video. Not sure if any newer means are available to opening presets but there may be newer ways to save to a template or store in mixer settings.

If you create a preset saved from your drum instrument of choice, and place that in the instruments area (as per video), you can have that instruments preset to be called up. It's merely a roundabout way of opening a Preset onto the mixer.

A possible multi out alternative would be to bus the tracks. Though I rarely change their output. I use that mostly for real time routing or stemming.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by BobF on Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:48 am
This is kinda niggly, sooo allow yourself time to experiment as this is NOT elegant :)

Show automation for the Inst Track. Add automation for each of the OUTs. Expand Envelopes
Now create a folder track and add each of the automation tracks to it

I use Audio>Volume for each

Now when you collapse the Folder track, the channels will be hidden (along with the Inst Track) until you expand the folder again.

This works because by creating the Auto envelopes, you are creating a 1:1 Ch:Tr association

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Lokeyfly on Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:07 am
BobF wrote ...........Now when you collapse the Folder track, the channels will be hidden (along with the Inst Track) until you expand the folder again.

This works because by creating the Auto envelopes, you are creating a 1:1 Ch:Tr association

Good one! I kinda forgot about that association of tracks and channel folders together via auto envelope automation.

I hadn't explored that here, so BobF is correct in finding that relationship. "Attah boy" goes to Bob! :+1

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by BobF on Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:26 am
I have several of these in an otherwise empty song that I use as templates via Import Song Data.

Works just fine, so the pain is only in the initial setup.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ

16 posts
Page 1 of 1