20 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have noticed a rapid decline in my iMac's (21,5" late 2013, 8 GB RAM / Intel Core i5) performance in Studio one 5.5. The CPU has been overloading alot and markably disturbed my workflow. Last couple of days it has elcalated even further so that it is uncapable of playing most parts of my song without chopping back and forth, clipping, freezing and constantly interrupting and bugging the audio. My project in Studio One currently consists of around 37 tracks (of which 17 are drum tracks, i created an individual track for each drum to be able to mix them individually).

The massivle lagging makes it literally impossible to work with this setup and i can't finish my song. Does anyone know about some changes that i can apply to the system to better the situation? Or is it simply over for this old iMac and i need to upgrade?

iMac 21,5" (late 2013)
2,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB RAM
Upgraded with external SSD drive
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Studio One 5.5 Professional

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
by Tacman7 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:09 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

Yes I'm afraid that people keep wanting the program to do this and that and the other thing and it all takes more processing.

Your computer is probably working as good as new, just takes more now days.

There are things you can do like I didn't want to add a kontact instrument to a crowded song so I took a mixdown to a new song and tracked to the mixdown then bring back a finished wav to the original song.

Those type of things and bouncing tracks down to audio and disabling inserts etc. anything to save processing...

I could do a lot more when I bought a new computer but I still had to really keep an eye on my processor use and work within my machines abilities. Thinking you can do anything lasts about 10 min.

There are also places like this to optimize your computer:
https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by JohnBW on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:14 pm
You have done well keeping that machine running for 9 years!

But it might be time to think about upgrading, as software keeps moving on, and getting more resource hungry. Although you could probably work around most issues, upgrading will test your patience the least, IMO. But the wallet may not agree!

A few strategies do come to mind, such as limiting track counts, limiting the number of plugins and virtual instruments, and increasing your audio buffer size. That should lessen the load on your CPU. And audio tracks are much more CPU friendly than virtual instruments are, so bouncing them to audio always helps!

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by SwitchBack on Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:14 pm
In S1 click on the Performance meter and tick the Show Devices box. That will show you what the performance is spent on.
by shanabit on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:18 am
SwitchBack wroteIn S1 click on the Performance meter and tick the Show Devices box. That will show you what the performance is spent on.

THIS^^^^^

What I notice when people are having this issue:

1. Buffer is way too low on audio driver. Crank it when mixing
2. Guys are filling up Inserts with time based effect, reverb/delay/chorus/flange instead of putting those on an aux track and using a send from the track
3. Guys are recording to the system drive
4. Your Master insert has a heavy CPU sucking plugin on like Ozone which sucks 30% of the CPU here. Don't Master in your SONG, use the PROJECT PAGE for Mastering to lighten the load.
5. WAY too many VST Instruments running. Bounce those things to AUDIO to free up CPU

**I have the SAME iMac here BTW

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by PNIL on Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:32 pm
Tacman7 wroteWelcome to the Forum!

Yes I'm afraid that people keep wanting the program to do this and that and the other thing and it all takes more processing.

Your computer is probably working as good as new, just takes more now days.

There are things you can do like I didn't want to add a kontact instrument to a crowded song so I took a mixdown to a new song and tracked to the mixdown then bring back a finished wav to the original song.

Those type of things and bouncing tracks down to audio and disabling inserts etc. anything to save processing...

I could do a lot more when I bought a new computer but I still had to really keep an eye on my processor use and work within my machines abilities. Thinking you can do anything lasts about 10 min.

There are also places like this to optimize your computer:
https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Hi, thank you! Yes i will add my specs and platform to my signature.

My computer runs almost as new in basically all tasks that i need it for. However i have changed to an SSD drive to boot everything from. It's just that the performance in Studio One has declined quite quickly, but it also seems to be quite irregular, sometimes it still works "reasonably" well (still clipping and bugging though).

iMac 21,5" (late 2013)
8 GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
by PNIL on Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:40 pm
JohnBW wroteYou have done well keeping that machine running for 9 years!

But it might be time to think about upgrading, as software keeps moving on, and getting more resource hungry. Although you could probably work around most issues, upgrading will test your patience the least, IMO. But the wallet may not agree!

A few strategies do come to mind, such as limiting track counts, limiting the number of plugins and virtual instruments, and increasing your audio buffer size. That should lessen the load on your CPU. And audio tracks are much more CPU friendly than virtual instruments are, so bouncing them to audio always helps!

True, it has served me really well through out these years. Since it still runs pretty smoothly in all other applications i'm not that eager to upgrade. But i guess that's eventually what i have to do unfortunately.

If i'd update, i'd probably opt for a Macbook Pro M1 14".

I opened the "show devices" section under CPU performance and it primarily seems to be 2 of the synths that are causing problems, and it gets a little better when i disable them. One weird thing though is that the audio is lagging and CPU is clipping even when the CPU usage stays around 50% or less during some parts of the song.

I will also try to bounce some tracks and see if it could help. Thanks!

iMac 21,5" (late 2013)
8 GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
by PNIL on Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:44 pm
shanabit wrote
SwitchBack wroteIn S1 click on the Performance meter and tick the Show Devices box. That will show you what the performance is spent on.

THIS^^^^^

What I notice when people are having this issue:

1. Buffer is way too low on audio driver. Crank it when mixing
2. Guys are filling up Inserts with time based effect, reverb/delay/chorus/flange instead of putting those on an aux track and using a send from the track
3. Guys are recording to the system drive
4. Your Master insert has a heavy CPU sucking plugin on like Ozone which sucks 30% of the CPU here. Don't Master in your SONG, use the PROJECT PAGE for Mastering to lighten the load.
5. WAY too many VST Instruments running. Bounce those things to AUDIO to free up CPU

**I have the SAME iMac here BTW

Interesting. How does your iMac manage to run Studio One? Do you ever experience problems like mine?

I haven't started to master the song yet and i haven't applied any time based FX to any tracks yet, only compression and EQ to only like 2-3 tracks.

iMac 21,5" (late 2013)
8 GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
by shanabit on Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:52 pm
Im good here

1. What OS are you on?
2. ARE you recording to the system drive or the new SSD?
3. What is your audio interface there?

No issues over here. Im thinking mine is an i7 CPU though not an i5. I also have 32 GB RAM in it here

No need to disable those synths , just TRANSFORM TO AUDIO the track and it will freeze that track and take the load off the CPU.

ALSO, check Prefs/Audio Setup/Processing and make sure Plugin Nap is checked.

Set your DropOut Protection to MAX as well

There is ZERO reason S1 shouldn't run on your system

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:12 am
shanabit wroteSet your DropOut Protection to MAX as well

I'm not mac, but the large majority of us run this at MINIMUM and get better results. I know I'm windoze, but I run my unit at 32 buffer and get terrific results with vst's. Even on my older machine I got terrific results (though more CPU obviously) and that unit is circa about your time. Is it possible the GHZ per core is too low and the stuff you are using is hogging up the first core?

Bye......:roll:
by shanabit on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 am
reggie1979beatz wrote Is it possible the GHZ per core is too low and the stuff you are using is hogging up the first core?

He has stated he is using no plugins at this point. No way 20 or 30 audio tracks are jamming up the CPU there. Something is off here

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:11 am
Yeppers, but it was worth a mention.

by PNIL on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:01 pm
shanabit wroteIm good here

1. What OS are you on?
2. ARE you recording to the system drive or the new SSD?
3. What is your audio interface there?

No issues over here. Im thinking mine is an i7 CPU though not an i5. I also have 32 GB RAM in it here

No need to disable those synths , just TRANSFORM TO AUDIO the track and it will freeze that track and take the load off the CPU.

ALSO, check Prefs/Audio Setup/Processing and make sure Plugin Nap is checked.

Set your DropOut Protection to MAX as well

There is ZERO reason S1 shouldn't run on your system

1. macOS Catalina 10.15.7
2. New SSD.
3. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Plugin Nap is checked. Drop out protection is set to max. Bouncing stuff helps a little bit. But it's still lagging and clipping and it's interrupting my work alot.

iMac 21,5" (late 2013)
8 GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:07 pm
PNIL wroteDrop out protection is set to max.

Again, just for S's & G's, try "minimum" ... can't hurt to try.

by PNIL on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:14 pm
I'm chiming in here again, guys. I did all the changes i got suggested here and it seemed to help for a little bit, especially bouncing tracks to audio. But now it's declined again. Everything is bounced except the drums which aren't completed yet, so i need to still have EZdrummer going. But even with only this VST active, my computer can barely play through the song. When i edit the drums and drop a section to the grid Studio One crashes.

Maybe it's hopeless. But is there anything more i can try? :(

iMac 21,5" (late 2013)
8 GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
by graytermedia on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:23 pm
My 2019 iMac i5 struggled a great deal with Studio One 5 and that was after a huge memory upgrade. I think I ended up with 96 GB on board, but it was the i5 processor that couldn't keep up with my VI heavy sessions. I bounced/printed everything to audio, and then had issues with effect plugins - iZotope and the PA stuff were the worst offenders.

I'm happy to report no such issues with my M1 Mac Studio MAX. I've have the SSL Native Channel 2 on every track (including busses) along with delays and verbs a plenty. So, yeah, the i5 couldn't keep up.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:42 pm
(retracts snootie toot's comment)

Man that is a bad look though, "buy new, get the latest" .......... I know what you are saying, older computers can't handle things that well. I still suspect that there is some hidden thing mac guys might have overlooked, but I dunno.

2k is a BUNCH of money. However, that does look like a really sweet setup :)

by graytermedia on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:00 pm
reggie1979beatz wrote(retracts snootie toot's comment)

Man that is a bad look though, "buy new, get the latest" .......... I know what you are saying, older computers can't handle things that well. I still suspect that there is some hidden thing mac guys might have overlooked, but I dunno.

My post wasn't meant as a flex. lol. My day job is in broadcast Post (I mix documentaries for PBS), and along with regular freelance, the gig allows for me to buy the toys when needed. I have to have a beefy machine because, "I couldn't make the deadline because of my processor" isn't something I can put on an invoice. I do recognize that this isn't everyday for everyone.

My point was that I had a maxed out i5 and I had the same issues as the OP. All that went away when I went in on the latest tech. The OP very well may have something wrong under the hood, but my old i5 couldn't keep up either.

And yes, the MAX is a sweet machine... :D

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by PNIL on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:29 pm
graytermedia wrote
reggie1979beatz wrote(retracts snootie toot's comment)

My post wasn't meant as a flex. lol. My day job is in broadcast Post (I mix documentaries for PBS), and along with regular freelance, the gig allows for me to buy the toys when needed. I have to have a beefy machine because, "I couldn't make the deadline because of my processor" isn't something I can put on an invoice. I do recognize that this isn't everyday for everyone.

My point was that I had a maxed out i5 and I had the same issues as the OP. All that went away when I went in on the latest tech. The OP very well may have something wrong under the hood, but my old i5 couldn't keep up either.

And yes, the MAX is a sweet machine... :D

tg

Good to know you had the same issues with the i5 as well. Even though i hate to admit it, i take that as it is simply not capable anymore. It really sucks when you're rapt up in creativity and learning and suddenly hit a wall because your system can't handle it. Even though i don't do this for a living at all, it's bad enough. And i haven't even to start add plugins yet.

iMac 21,5" (late 2013)
8 GB RAM
macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:39 pm
As someone who has "kept up with the jones's" it's almost always a chase. I built this one kinda last year and it's pretty great.

This is going to sound pretty weird, but I feel like my Audient has improved my performance over my babyface pro. It's really odd because S1/reason reported ridiculous low latency, but this feels snappier and seems to use less CPU at really low buffer settings.

Even this lappy is humming along with it. My point is that there are so many variables.

But that mac DOES look like a winner in many ways.

20 posts
Page 1 of 1