21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi

Recently switched to Studio One from Cubase and also bought a Studiolive 64S - there is much to learn. My major problem at the moment is in getting Sonarworks Reference 4 to work as a plug in. System calibrated, speaker profile saved, plug in inserted on listen bus - but there is no activity on the Sonarworks meters, no sound difference whether it is on or bypassed. I suppose I've missed out a step somewhere. If I put an instance of it on an instrument track then I get activity on the meters - but not when it's on the listen bus one master channel.

I've had this software working perfectly well for many years in Control Room in Cubase - but it ain't happy in Studio One.

I downloaded a trial version of Sonarworks new system but that just crashes Studio One before I even get going - and I've discovered there's a known issue with this which as far as I know is still ongoing. I've deleted that and uninstalled Reference 4 and reinstalled Reference 4 - bit now I'm stuck.

I think I've seen every nearly relevant instructional video and loads of questions and answers around this subject but none has lead me to that magical eureka moment when it works as expected.

Grateful fo any advice

Thanks.

(I don't know how to attach specifications to a signature - but I'm using an iMac running Catalina, Studiolive 64S and Studio One on a Sphere subscription.)

Mac mini M2 Pro 32Gb - Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB - Studio one on Sphere Subscription
by reggie1979beatz on Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:29 am
@"signature" : Go to "user profile" at the top left, choose "profile" and "edit signature is right there :)

As far as the other, I'm not mac. I can on my system confirm that version 5 works w/o issue, I know that doesn't help you though. The only thought I have is if you are M1 there may be some kind of compatibility issue.

Probably not a bad idea to contact them as well ;)

Bye......:roll:
by brianhanson on Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:46 am
OK - Thanks for that. At least I've got the signature sorted out!

Mac mini M2 Pro 32Gb - Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB - Studio one on Sphere Subscription
Maybe stupid question, but: if you insert any other plugin on the listen bus, before Reference, it does see signal? Like a phase meter for example?

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by brianhanson on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:43 am
bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer wroteMaybe stupid question, but: if you insert any other plugin on the listen bus, before Reference, it does see signal? Like a phase meter for example?

Not at all a stupid question - I tried your suggestion with the phase meter and no, it does not see a signal.

However, if I enable "solo through listen bus" on any channel then I get a signal on the listen bus. So I'm sure it is operator error, some misunderstanding on my part about routing.

Thanks for the help.

by frank.crow on Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:18 am
I had the same issue. I contacted Sonarworks support and they provided me with a link to a detailed step by step method for removing all traces of the program. After that I simply choose the “custom install” option and installed the previous version.

I checked with Sonarworks very recently and they’ve confirmed it’s ongoing. They explained that it has something to do with how S1 reads the code architecture. He referred to it as JUICE

It’s above my pay grade

Frank Crow

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by brianhanson on Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:48 am
frank.crow wroteI had the same issue. I contacted Sonarworks support and they provided me with a link to a detailed step by step method for removing all traces of the program. After that I simply choose the “custom install” option and installed the previous version.

I checked with Sonarworks very recently and they’ve confirmed it’s ongoing. They explained that it has something to do with how S1 reads the code architecture. He referred to it as JUICE

It’s above my pay grade

Frank Crow

Glad I'm not the only one.

Dealing with Sonarworks support is hard work, they take an age to reply and invariably they have misunderstood the problem.

As it says on my T - shirt - "I can't cope, I'm an artist"

by reggie1979beatz on Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:50 am
brianhanson wrote
frank.crow wroteI had the same issue. I contacted Sonarworks support and they provided me with a link to a detailed step by step method for removing all traces of the program. After that I simply choose the “custom install” option and installed the previous version.

It’s above my pay grade

Frank Crow

Glad I'm not the only one.

Dealing with Sonarworks support is hard work, they take an age to reply and invariably they have misunderstood the problem.

As it says on my T - shirt - "I can't cope, I'm an artist"

Well, other than taking a long time to answer, ALL of them are like that for me :roll: My favorite is the CONSTANT asking me to repeat what I've already told them! :roll:

:roll:

It’s above my pay grade

Frank Crow

If another plugin (in this case we tried it with a phase meter) does not get any singal when placed before Reference 4 on the listen bus, its simply a routing issue and not related to SonarWorks at all.

No signal = no signal, there is no update to Reference that will fix that. The JUICE thing mentioned before is a framework used by programmers to create virtual instruments in the VST specification. Again, I sincerely doubt the problem lies there, otherwise the entire developer community could suffer from this bug in any DAW.

So long story short: check your routing. Or otherwise try it with a new empty project first and build from it up from there.

One question though: it was mentioned Reference 4 also does not work on your master bus. But I assume you do have audio output on the master, right?

Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by frank.crow on Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:29 pm
Very Respectfully

Nothing about my Routing changed from pre to post update. I use a template and keep Sonarworks on the Listen Bus all by itself.

The “Juice” explanation came from Sonarworks tech support (not my words). They claim to be in communication with Presonus trying to resolve the issue.

Speaking only for my experience. I did try it with a new empty session built from scratch. Same negative result. The legacy install worked immediately

Frank Crow

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

Interesting.

I don't understand it, but I hope they find a fix soon. :punk:

by brianhanson on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:55 am
bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer wrote

It’s above my pay grade

Frank Crow

If another plugin (in this case we tried it with a phase meter) does not get any singal when placed before Reference 4 on the listen bus, its simply a routing issue and not related to SonarWorks at all.

No signal = no signal, there is no update to Reference that will fix that. The JUICE thing mentioned before is a framework used by programmers to create virtual instruments in the VST specification. Again, I sincerely doubt the problem lies there, otherwise the entire developer community could suffer from this bug in any DAW.

So long story short: check your routing. Or otherwise try it with a new empty project first and build from it up from there.

One question though: it was mentioned Reference 4 also does not work on your master bus. But I assume you do have audio output on the master, right?

"Check your routing" - hmm, I've no doubt that is at least part of the story.

Problem is, I'm new to Studio One, new to my Studiolive 64S and somewhere in the middle with Sonarworks, as in I had it working just fine with Cubase.. But I've now deleted Reference 4 because it was seizing control of my audio with its "Systemwide" function and/or crashing Studio One every time I tried to make some progress. I tried the free trial of the new software which caused the same problems - so I can't waste any more time with it at the moment.

If they can make it stable for my system and I can get a little more familiar with Studio One/Studiolive routing then maybe I'll come back to it and try again.

Thanks for the help.

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:59 am
If it's all versions, then my previous post about it possibly being an M1 issue is invalid. Goodness, I'm not sure what to say. Since I can't reproduce the issue (I'll check again) I guess we'll just keep pluggin' away. I am personally at the latest version/update.

by frank.crow on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:00 pm
brianhanson wrote
bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer wrote

It’s above my pay grade

Frank Crow

"Check your routing" - hmm, I've no doubt that is at least part of the story.

Problem is, I'm new to Studio One, new to my Studiolive 64S and somewhere in the middle with Sonarworks, as in I had it working just fine with Cubase.. But I've now deleted Reference 4 because it was seizing control of my audio with its "Systemwide" function and/or crashing Studio One every time I tried to make some progress. I tried the free trial of the new software which caused the same problems - so I can't waste any more time with it at the moment.

If they can make it stable for my system and I can get a little more familiar with Studio One/Studiolive routing then maybe I'll come back to it and try again.

Thanks for the help.

As far as systemwide goes I never had much use for it. You are also on a Mac I see. You can use the pull down menu on the top of your screen and disable it.

Frank Crow

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:02 pm

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

As far as systemwide goes I never had much use for it. You are also on a Mac I see. You can use the pull down menu on the top of your screen and disable it. I keep mine off and just use the plugin.

Frank Crow[/quote]

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:21 pm
Sonorworks contacted me today. The beta version of the fix has been released.

I’ll download it this weekend. I’m not really in too much of a hurry anymore. My Slate VSX came in this past weekend. Freaking amazing.

Frank Crow

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by brianhanson on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:00 am
frank.crow wroteSonorworks contacted me today. The beta version of the fix has been released.

I’ll download it this weekend. I’m not really in too much of a hurry anymore. My Slate VSX came in this past weekend. Freaking amazing.

Frank Crow

They have been in touch with me too and suggested that the issue with crashing studio one is now fixed in their new software. So I've downloaded another trial and giving it another try. We'll see.

Interesting that you've gone the Slate VSX route. I'm beginning to think that might be a sensible option for me.

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:10 am
Yeah, I may consider that someday, headphones I mean.

by frank.crow on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:16 am
I plan to still use the Sonorworks for my speakers but right now this VSX setup is just so ridiculously convenient.

They are pricey and I’d read complaints about the headphones feeling cheap but honestly I’ve been using KRK 8400’s ($150) for years and these make those look really cheap and flimsy by comparison.

I can rationalize to myself that I’m paying $200 for headphones and $300 for the plugin and it then makes the price seem worth it.

The final verdict will be when I’m done with this mix and I can test how well they translate

What I can say right now though is I’m finally using reference tracks

-Frank Crow-

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by reggie1979beatz on Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:28 am
That's really interesting. I LOVE my KRK 8400's, In fact, I just bought a new pair (the "old" ones) for 120 bucks. The "new" ones get too many complaints and I really don't want more bass :roll:

Anyways, I digress, I am still very curious about this. It's hard to know because there are so many yahoos that complain about nonsense. And it's always suspect (shilling) with the positive reviews because again, maybe they are just casual users or the company(s) shilling to make it sound better.

But for now I'll stick with tried and true.

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2