83 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Ok so after some experimentation I have found a way to make it all work. Sorry this is a long post but I want to explain it in full.

You don't have to do anything in Studio One in terms of creating a control and linking etc. Its all in Analog Lab itself and nothing else. Do nothing in Studio One at all. Analog Lab talks directly to your controller.

The idea is to bring up those 9 knobs down the bottom and link your encoders to them.

1 In Analog LAB 5 click on the blue gear top right to expose the Midi settings. Click on MIDI. tab right at the top.

2 Click the Midi LEARN Box. (its under Midi Config up top above list) Observe now which controls are purple and if any are red.

Note only the purple controls can be taken over (unless you have the full version of the synth though then everything can be taken over)

3 If any controls are RED (and you want to reset) then...To reset any red controls back to purple, left click on the red control itself. Notice it appears in the list on the right with a black background. Right click on that item in the list and click delete. That listing goes away and the control turns purple again. You should still be in LEARN mode.

Note (Here is the difference. In Stand alone mode you only have to right click a red knob to get it back to purple again. Not so In Studio One. In Studio One this does not work so you have to use the list on the right and delete the entry instead)

4 To assign a parameter to your controller. Left click one of the 9 controls you want to take over. It appears in the list to the right now. (with a black background)

5 Now turn the encoder on your controller you want to assign this to. It should now turn red. Move the encoder on your controller to check that it does move. Click LEARN again up top right to return controls to normal.

Now you should find that your controller encoder does in fact take over the control and effect the sounds.

At this point you can assign a different encoder on your controller to a different edit control. Press LEARN again up top. Notice your first red control. Leave alone. Left click another purple control. Note it appears in list on right. Turn the second encoder on your controller and it should turn red now. Move to check and click on LEARN again and it too should work.

I have OBXaV for example and when I press LEARN I noticed some red controls. I want to reset all back to purple and assign my own controls. Follow step 3 above. Left click on the red control, it appears in black in list on right. Right click and delete. Do this to all red controls on after the other. Now if you own the synth then all 9 knobs can be turned back to purple. Then reassign all of them all in one hit. While still in learn. Simply click the first purple knob, see list, move encoder, it turns red, then click second purple knob, see list, turn second encoder, it turns red. Just keep going then when done click LEARN again and they will all be set and work.

(Note Look to the window to the right of Midi Controller. It should say Generic 9 knobs. You can in fact select Generic 9 Knobs + 9 faders and down below you will get a total of 18 things you can edit! If you have a controller such as the MAudio Axiom 61 which has 8 knobs and 9 faders they can all be used! With the synths you don't own in full, the knobs and faders are set for you and you cannot alter them and not all can be set or are purple. But with the synths you own you can use all 18 and right click and re assign every knob and fader to every single thing in the synth!!)

I think its just the right procedure we have not been following. I read the manual and found all this out that way. All the sounds are changing for me now. It explains why some here have it working. They have obviously gone through the right procedure. Its actually super easy and fast to assign encoders on your controller to any of the knobs (that are purple that is. If you don't own the synth in full then they limit the number of the 9 controls that can be edited but it usually most of them)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by LBH on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:14 am
Hi,

The problem is only when using Control link to map to the 9 knob or 9 knob + 9 faders control surface.
Control link mapping to other controls work (like ie directly to the Reverb level parameter). Normal midi CC mapping also work.

It's important for a support to know this. If a word like Reverb i mentioned for a knob, then keep in mind that ie Reverb Level for the above mentioned control surface only is Reverb Level, if that parameter is assigned to that knob. The knob it self is not a dedicated Reverb Level knob. So that can be misunderstood.

Motherboard: Intel DH77KC
CPU: Intel I7 3770, 3,4 GHz, Quad core - Hyperthreading
SSD: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO series
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
DAW: Studio One 2 and 3 Professionel - 64 bit
Controller: Novation SL-MKII - Automap
Soundcard/ Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
All is Fully updated including BIOS and firmware.
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:51 am
Lokeyfly wroteGocha.yeah, the V collection is like a dream come true for me. Thanks for chasing .......

Even though it's a little off topic, it's worth mentioning that I thought I was set with synths (especially because I use the Reason Rack and they do have some lovely VI's. ) these Arturia VI's are just too good to pass up. The term "analog" is really overplayed in this arena, but it's really true with these. There is a certain vibe that separates them from the digital VI's. Those are still excellent, but I feel a (overused term again) more musical feel when using these. If I had one complaint, it's that there are SO MANY and it's tough deciding which one to use! :lol:

How it all started was with the stage 73. I randomly saw a youtube vid on this and became interested. Even though I really liked the newest version, I wasn't sold on the price considering I already had decent rhodes options. Then on knobcloud I keep seeing the selling of various "collection" options and drank the koolaid! That led to a variety of trying different things (at this time I was also enamored with "piano" as well) and it seemed to make sense to get one of those.

I got the collection 8 (and the subsequent 49 buck upgrade to the newest version of "piano" ) for less than 200 USD, so I'm pretty happy about that. 9 didn't float my boat. Augmented strings is just WAY to CPU intensive (as well as one other, can't remember but it's a new one) and 8 just made more sense.

There are a few "upgrade" options for some synths, but as I demo them, they have far less presets and I don't see enough of difference yet to feel comfortable with the 49 bucks (each :roll: )

So to conclude this long post, I'm a happy camper!

I'd also like to add that I really like their demo option. Having roughly 15 minutes but it NEVER expiring seems to work really well to make sure that it's something I want or don't want ;)

Bye......:roll:
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:57 am
LBH wroteHi,

The problem is only when using Control link to map to the 9 knob or 9 knob + 9 faders control surface.
Control link mapping to other controls work (like ie directly to the Reverb level parameter). Normal midi CC mapping also work.

It's important for a support to know this. If a word like Reverb i mentioned for a knob, then keep in mind that ie Reverb Level for the above mentioned control surface only is Reverb Level, if that parameter is assigned to that knob. The knob it self is not a dedicated Reverb Level knob. So that can be misunderstood.

I'll try this, really having a tough time focusing today :?

I'll let support know, which BTW even though I'm pretty flabbergasted by various tickets recently and the odd support conversations, Arturia responded very professionally and it's worth keeping in touch with them :)

I'll try this and Jemusic's stuff in a little while (need at least one more cup of coffee :D )

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:15 pm
Jemusic wroteI have also had an idea. Try running Analog Lab V in stand alone mode. ie not inside Studio One. Then as per the manual try mapping a controller encoder to one of the parameters and see if that works. That will rule out Studio One if it still does not work. But if it does work then it means Studio One may be the reason the sounds are not changing.

I am not at my computer so cannot do this right now. I will when I can and report back.

Update Yes it all works great in stand alone mode. VST3 as well. It is super easy to map an encoder on the controller to any one of those editing controls and it all works fully. So Studio One is not allowing the sounds to be changed. I will start doing some detective work maybe to find the reason.

Yeah, sorry, I misread that before. Yes indeed, standalone works as expected as does the 2.4 version in Reason 12. It's studio one for sure. Now I'll have a look at your other thread.

by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:21 pm
Jemusic wroteOk so after some experimentation I have found a way to make it all work. Sorry this is a long post but I want to explain it in full.

You don't have to do anything in Studio One in terms of creating a control and linking etc. Its all in Analog Lab itself and nothing else. Do nothing in Studio One at all. Analog Lab talks directly to your controller.

The idea is to bring up those 9 knobs down the bottom and link your encoders to them.

1 In Analog LAB 5 click on the blue gear top right to expose the Midi settings. Click on MIDI. tab right at the top.

2 Click the Midi LEARN Box. (its under Midi Config up top above list) Observe now which controls are purple and if any are red.

Note only the purple controls can be taken over (unless you have the full version of the synth though then everything can be taken over)

3 If any controls are RED (and you want to reset) then...To reset any red controls back to purple, left click on the red control itself. Notice it appears in the list on the right with a black background. Right click on that item in the list and click delete. That listing goes away and the control turns purple again. You should still be in LEARN mode.

Note (Here is the difference. In Stand alone mode you only have to right click a red knob to get it back to purple again. Not so In Studio One. In Studio One this does not work so you have to use the list on the right and delete the entry instead)

4 To assign a parameter to your controller. Left click one of the 9 controls you want to take over. It appears in the list to the right now. (with a black background)

5 Now turn the encoder on your controller you want to assign this to. It should now turn red. Move the encoder on your controller to check that it does move. Click LEARN again up top right to return controls to normal.

Now you should find that your controller encoder does in fact take over the control and effect the sounds.

At this point you can assign a different encoder on your controller to a different edit control. Press LEARN again up top. Notice your first red control. Leave alone. Left click another purple control. Note it appears in list on right. Turn the second encoder on your controller and it should turn red now. Move to check and click on LEARN again and it too should work.

I have OBXaV for example and when I press LEARN I noticed some red controls. I want to reset all back to purple and assign my own controls. Follow step 3 above. Left click on the red control, it appears in black in list on right. Right click and delete. Do this to all red controls on after the other. Now if you own the synth then all 9 knobs can be turned back to purple. Then reassign all of them all in one hit. While still in learn. Simply click the first purple knob, see list, move encoder, it turns red, then click second purple knob, see list, turn second encoder, it turns red. Just keep going then when done click LEARN again and they will all be set and work.

(Note Look to the window to the right of Midi Controller. It should say Generic 9 knobs. You can in fact select Generic 9 Knobs + 9 faders and down below you will get a total of 18 things you can edit! If you have a controller such as the MAudio Axiom 61 which has 8 knobs and 9 faders they can all be used! With the synths you don't own in full, the knobs and faders are set for you and you cannot alter them and not all can be set or are purple. But with the synths you own you can use all 18 and right click and re assign every knob and fader to every single thing in the synth!!)

I think its just the right procedure we have not been following. I read the manual and found all this out that way. All the sounds are changing for me now. It explains why some here have it working. They have obviously gone through the right procedure. Its actually super easy and fast to assign encoders on your controller to any of the knobs (that are purple that is. If you don't own the synth in full then they limit the number of the 9 controls that can be edited but it usually most of them)

This is not working right here. At first, the "red" knobs are able to be right-clicked on and turn purple (which is different than what you described) and the same result occurs. Like I said, it's very possible it's just me because I'm having difficultly concentrating today :roll:

by Jemusic on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:13 pm
Firstly I am doing this in my iMac. My Win 7 machine cant run Analog Lab 5. I have not installed it on my Win 10 machine yet. So there may be some different behaviours as a result.

Something else works rather well though. Open Analog Lab 5 as a stand a lone. (Not Studio One booted at all) Set up the knobs to say the first 8 encoders on your controller. Test and you will find all working. Turning knobs from red back to purple is just easier in stand alone.

Now notice the Midi Config window. Save this as a config preset in Analog Lab 5. Give it a title eg first 8 encoders. Now boot-up Studio One and install Analog Lab 5 on a track. Open the settings and check the Midi config box. It will probably still be on your new preset. if not select it.

Now the first 8 encoders of your controller will be functioning to the first 8 knobs. This seems to be the case for every synth and every preset. Which is something you probably want. This is all working for me now. Please keep trying. I am sure you will get it to work. If you are still having issues I will make a video on it for you.

Thanks for this thread. I have finally sorted this.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:18 pm
Oh, so for some there might even be a mac problem?

Anyways, I'll go over what you just posted later :)

by MisterE on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:24 pm
reggie1979beatz wrote[

Even though it's a little off topic, it's worth mentioning that I thought I was set with synths (especially because I use the Reason Rack and they do have some lovely VI's. ) these Arturia VI's are just too good to pass up. The term "analog" is really overplayed in this arena, but it's really true with these. There is a certain vibe that separates them from the digital VI's. Those are still excellent, but I feel a (overused term again) more musical feel when using these. If I had one complaint, it's that there are SO MANY and it's tough deciding which one to use! :lol:

How it all started was with the stage 73. I randomly saw a youtube vid on this and became interested. Even though I really liked the newest version, I wasn't sold on the price considering I already had decent rhodes options. Then on knobcloud I keep seeing the selling of various "collection" options and drank the koolaid! That led to a variety of trying different things (at this time I was also enamored with "piano" as well) and it seemed to make sense to get one of those.

I got the collection 8 (and the subsequent 49 buck upgrade to the newest version of "piano" ) for less than 200 USD, so I'm pretty happy about that. 9 didn't float my boat. Augmented strings is just WAY to CPU intensive (as well as one other, can't remember but it's a new one) and 8 just made more sense.

There are a few "upgrade" options for some synths, but as I demo them, they have far less presets and I don't see enough of difference yet to feel comfortable with the 49 bucks (each :roll: )

So to conclude this long post, I'm a happy camper!

You'd be an even happier camper is you wait for the whole V-Collection upgrade to go on super sale (if you're already in their ecosystem, from time to time they give you offers that are even more tempting than their advertised offers), it's infinitely more cost effective than upgrading individual instruments one by one, even at $49 per.

As for your love of Arturia electric pianos, I don't want to take that away from you, so whatever you do, don't listen to what's presently on super sale here:

https://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/

This is coming from a V-Collection owner and a fan of Arturia the company: I disagree with your assessment that their offerings are superior to other companies' recreation of keyboard classics. Instead, I'd offer that theirs are competitive with others out there, better priced, often better supported, and way better documented (did you notice each instrument in V-Collection or Analog Lab has its own extremely helpful and well-written manual?). I was also impressed how quickly Arturia responded to your issue.

But I'd caution people against your inference that Arturia electric keyboards and pianos are somehow more analog sounding compared to what's out there. Which doesn't mean I don't think most electronic musicians should own either Analog Lab or V-Collection, cause I think they should!

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm
Fair enough, I guess I should have said "compared to what I have"

by Jemusic on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:59 pm
There are some differences in sound quality though for sure. I have got Cherry Audio's Oberheim 8 voice for example and now the GForce OB-E. Gforce is definitely different. Bigger slightly fatter sound. Deep!

But having said that I also have most of Arturia's synths and they sound really excellent. Especially OBXaV. The Jupiter 8 V4 is also a definite improvement over V3. Only the CS80 and Jupiter 8 are at V4 currently. These V4 upgrades are well worth the investment. They sound noticeably better.

Analog Lab is really great. You get a sample of all the synths in the collection and there are quite a few presets for each. Great for the synths you don't own in full. And by getting these controller encoders working properly now means you can change the sounds a lot.

by MisterE on Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:25 pm
Jemusic wroteThere are some differences in sound quality though for sure. I have got Cherry Audio's Oberheim 8 voice for example and now the GForce OB-E. Gforce is definitely different. Bigger slightly fatter sound. Deep!

But having said that I also have most of Arturia's synths and they sound really excellent. Especially OBXaV. The Jupiter 8 V4 is also a definite improvement over V3. Only the CS80 and Jupiter 8 are at V4 currently. These V4 upgrades are well worth the investment. They sound noticeably better.

Analog Lab is really great. You get a sample of all the synths in the collection and there are quite a few presets for each. Great for the synths you don't own in full. And by getting these controller encoders working properly now means you can change the sounds a lot.

I agree with your assessment of the battle between GForce OB-E and other Obie VSTis vs Arturia Oberheim recreations. However, I was pleasantly surprised just this week by Arturia's Mellotron vs its Gforce counterpart, Mtron MkII. Gforce is deeper, but sonically they're really close.

But, as you know, inventiveness counts a lot more than minute sonic differences between different companies' offerings of the same vintage synth or keyboard.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by MisterE on Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:42 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteFair enough, I guess I should have said "compared to what I have"

Hey if you're happy, I'm happy.

by Jemusic on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:05 pm
MisterE wroteBut, as you know, inventiveness counts a lot more than minute sonic differences between different companies' offerings of the same vintage synth or keyboard.

I am totally with you on that one. Ideas far transcend the tools by miles. Lets face it, the differences now between the hardware clones and the original hardware or the software versions of the original hardware and software and software is pretty damn small these days.

I mean if you got nothing else than Analog Lab 5 you would be in a pretty good place for a very long time to create a lot of music.

Anyway reggie let us know how you are getting on getting those encoders to work.

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:52 am
Jemusic wrote
Anyway reggie let us know how you are getting on getting those encoders to work.

I'm not having any luck :roll: I don't know yet if it's me, or if this is just borked w/o hope.

by JohnBW on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:33 am
reggie1979beatz wrote
Jemusic wrote

I'm not having any luck :roll: I don't know yet if it's me, or if this is just borked w/o hope.

You are testing with Analog Lab in standalone, as Jemusic suggested, right?

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:44 am
Oh as said, THAT is not a problem. But his steps inside of Studio One I'm getting nowhere here.

by Jemusic on Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:54 pm
I was in the same position myself. I could map controller encoders to the 9 edit knobs in Analog Lab and see them move as well but with no sound changes. But after exploring it a bit and coming up with a system, it seems to work now totally for me. I will make a video tomorrow and post it. As they say a video might show it much easier than a long post.

Sounds like you are missing something or doing something in the wrong order. I get it to work every time now.

Did you try opening it up in stand alone mode and mapping some encoders that way and then saving that as a Midi config like I also suggested. Then open it up in Studio One. It should work straight away. Just select the midi config preset you have made.

by Lokeyfly on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:35 am
reggie1979beatz wroteOh as said, THAT is not a problem. But his steps inside of Studio One I'm getting nowhere here.

Reggie, take the time and follow Jeff's applying of stand alone mapping. He put the time in and it serves a very important goal. First, you isolate Studio One and still set up some fundamental mapping. You can quickly save them as a preset and later discover they work in Studio One (which was one of your core concerns). Yes we understand you can't do that in Studio One at the moment, but this suggestion should resolve if you have an isolated issue in Studio One and that the controller is properly configured to Ano Lab. There's the outside possibility it isnt.

It also allows you to get control and hear those changes as Jeff himself stated earlier he was also not getting his mappings to sound in Studio One.

If you proofed it out, did you actually proof it out with Studio One off (un opened) and running Ano Lab in stand alone (self running on its own).
This will enable your controller to see Anolog Lab directly. It's both a part of troubleshooting and isolating.

Just looking to verify this in full. His steps are first outside S1, not inside while S1 is turned off. Important.
Follow his lead. Thanks!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by reggie1979beatz on Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:47 am
Jemusic wroteI

Did you try opening it up in stand alone mode and mapping some encoders that way and then saving that as a Midi config like I also suggested. Then open it up in Studio One. It should work straight away. Just select the midi config preset you have made.

I told you I was really having a hard time concentrating that day! :lol:

83 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5