25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
My placeholder older AMD graphics card I've been using on my new system just died -- mercifully, just in time for prices to come back down for that video editing card I've been eyeing!

The card I've purchased is MSI 3060 TI Gaming X. I'm running Win10.

I understand that I probably want to use a utility called DDU (Display Driver Uninstall) in safe mode to completely eradicate all trraces of the older AMD card.

Then we get into should I choose NVidia's Gaming Ready or Studio drivers . . . or one of those hacked, slimmed down Nvidia drivers like NVCleanstall or NVSlimmer?

The rationale behind the "hacked" (not sure what their classification is, exactly) slim driver is that it doesn't install various unnecessary services which continually monitor your system for stuff but could impact low-latency recording.

That sounds kind of useful; only thing is, what happens when Windows Update sees there's a new Nvidia driver? Sounds potentially problematical.

Anyhow, I'll stop listing every concern in hopes someone who maybe edits video too (I'm just getting into it, so don't assume I know too much other than I bought probably the best value card for it) will just tell me the best steps to follow in light of those concerns or others I haven't accounted for.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:57 pm
I dunno if it helps or not, but I just let windoze install whatever. Works well here, but your card is far more complex.

Bye......:roll:
by MisterE on Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:33 pm
Yeah, I need it to do double duty as a video editor and whatever it is we do here, so I need more options than Windows will give me -- although if audio was the only consideration, your suggestion would be fine. From what I can gather, a few ducks have to be in a row to avoid latency with Nvidia cards.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by garyanderson5 on Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:44 pm
MisterE wroteYeah, I need it to do double duty as a video editor and whatever it is we do here, so I need more options than Windows will give me -- although if audio was the only consideration, your suggestion would be fine. From what I can gather, a few ducks have to be in a row to avoid latency with Nvidia cards.

Most of the good GFX card tweaks are in this one thread. You might have to read a bit but there is some solid performance tweaks in there.

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... on-10.html

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by PreAl on Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:38 pm
+1 for DDU
I use the studio drivers.
Disable the shader cache.
Turn off power saving features

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by MisterE on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:32 pm
garyanderson5 wrote
MisterE wroteYeah, I need it to do double duty as a video editor and whatever it is we do here, so I need more options than Windows will give me -- although if audio was the only consideration, your suggestion would be fine. From what I can gather, a few ducks have to be in a row to avoid latency with Nvidia cards.

Most of the good GFX card tweaks are in this one thread. You might have to read a bit but there is some solid performance tweaks in there.

https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... on-10.html

I'm very familiar with that thread, and Pictus is a very helpful individual . . . that said, his tweaks are a little hard to follow, and he's a fan of various hacks (which isn't all bad, but isn't all good). He says to use NVSlimmer, which, once again, worries me about how it's going to interact with Windows Updates. And it's dependent on whoever maintains NVSlimmer . . . assuming that person who is probably a one-man shop does for the forseeable future. I will take Pictus' power suggestions for sure, though. Thanks!
Last edited by MisterE on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by MisterE on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:33 pm
dupe deleted; is it just me, or is this forum reposting edits instead of putting them in the original post? Maybe I'm just trigger happy.

by MisterE on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:37 pm
PreAl wrote+1 for DDU

And your latency is as nonexistent as you'd like it?

As noted, I have some concerns about all those background-running services that may be installed with Studio, though there are probably ways to hunt them down after the fact. On the other hand, I may be somewhat paranoid, not having had a Nvidia card in the past.

Thanks.

by PreAl on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:16 pm
MisterE wrote
PreAl wrote+1 for DDU

And your latency is as nonexistent as you'd like it?

As noted, I have some concerns about all those background-running services that may be installed with Studio, though there are probably ways to hunt them down after the fact. On the other hand, I may be somewhat paranoid, not having had a Nvidia card in the past.

Thanks.

I'm just answering from the Nvidia card perspective. I have numerous tweaks for Windows I've built up over the decades, including disabling a lot of windows services and startup processes.

I forgot I also disable the Nvidia HDMI sound drivers, and there are some Nvidia services you could try.disabling at the risk of losing user interface.functionality (try disabling, re-enable if necessary). Geforce experience can take a raincheck.

Latency is fine (see.spec's below). The laptop was a nightmare to optimize, I had to stop studio one from running on the first CPU thread.

Oh and don't install unofficial drivers.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by MisterE on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:58 pm
PreAl wrote
Latency is fine (see.spec's below).

Oh and don't install unofficial drivers.

I'm leaning in this direction, may as well see if latency's fine with the Studio drivers install before I take steps like turning to the unofficial slimmed drivers. The rest of my components are fast enough and rock steady, so I'm pretty certain I'll go the route you suggest tomorrow when I install. Disk space is not really an issue either.

Oh, for anyone who doesn't know, on the Windows side, Nvidia cards are much more optimized for video editing than AMD cards . . . which is why I chose one. I'm sure to have to do a lot of rendering as I familiarize myself with the process, so I may as well try and make that as painless as possible. I'd probably roll with a simple AMD card if I was only doing audio and didn't have a GPU built into CPU as they require less massaging (theoretically, who knows, it could be a breeze. We'll see!).

by MisterE on Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:38 pm
Well . . . the foul deed is done . . . and . . . there's no discernible difference from the previous AMD card which had a complete absence of latency -- even with an interface that has a 10-year old driver that was never intended to run past Windows7! Hey, I'll take my miracles wherever I can find them. Everything lines up on the timeline: external synths, virtual instruments, guitars and voices, no problem.

The install was infinitely simpler than some of the internet hysteria over Nvidia cards led me to believe it would be. I just cleaned all traces of the previous AMD driver using DDU -- Display Driver Uninstall -- a third-party utility I had a good feeling about after a bunch of research, unlike the slimmed-down Nvidia drivers, downloaded the latest Nvidia official Studio drivers, then chose Custom over Express install option and then, presented with further choices, chose not to install anything that seemed like an always-running service. All that installed was a benign Nvidia control panel, which could come in handy for running a second monitor down the road.

So, that was a lot of worry over nothing!

by PreAl on Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:54 pm
Check windows services. You will have some Nvidia services running there even with a minimal install, and check my previous post. Also check startup in task manager.

Happy gaming, sorry DAW'ing..

Cheers..

by MisterE on Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:13 pm
PreAl wroteCheck windows services. You will have some Nvidia services running there even with a minimal install, and check my previous post. Also check startup in task manager.

Happy gaming, sorry DAW'ing..

Cheers..

Hey, Nothing Nvidia in Startup Services. All I see in Task Manager Background Processes is two instances of Nvidia Container it sees as Very Low power usage using 0% CPU. Should I bother to kill those?

Also, you mentioned disabling the Shader Cache. Where can I find that, I imagine it's buried somewhere within the Nvidia Control Panel? I'm also curious why you mention that as I haven't seen that advice elsewhere (not to imply it isn't valuable).

Lastly, I noticed poking around that Nvidia Control Panel that it gives you options to go program-by-program regarding setting power to maximum? Maybe I should let the card run in energy saving mode except when I'm in Studio One or Adobe Premier? Any feelings on that?

by rodshort on Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:06 pm
Earlier in this thread someone advised using the Studio Driver instead of the Game Ready Driver. What is the difference in them. How is one more suited to audio production than the other? I've always wondered this. I have always used the Game Ready Driver. It was my understanding that the Studio Driver was optimized for video/graphic production?

Studio One Pro (Former long time Sonar user), Dell XPS Desktop, i7, 32 Gb RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Focusrite Saffire Octopre Mk II
by PreAl on Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:21 pm
rodshort wroteEarlier in this thread someone advised using the Studio Driver instead of the Game Ready Driver. What is the difference in them. How is one more suited to audio production than the other? I've always wondered this. I have always used the Game Ready Driver. It was my understanding that the Studio Driver was optimized for video/graphic production?

Studio driver is better tested and more stable. It's using code that is tried and tested (probably inherited via the games drivers) Also fewer releases.

Games drivers has the latest hacks for the latest games, therefore less likely to be more stable.(far more recent less tested code).

Anything of long term benefit probably end up in the studio drivers after they've got feedback from the community.

For DAW purposes you aren't going to see any measurable difference in performance between the two so you should go for stability, unless you want to also want to play Flight Simulator at maximum frame rate in-between recordings.

by JohnBW on Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:54 pm
In your Nvidia installer you should be able to select the components that you wish to install. Skip the "Geforce Experience"! That is gaming oriented, and totally unnecessary in a DAW.

The other drivers and such don't seem to cause any issues. I usually disable any HDMI audio as well (as previously mentioned), since I am using a USB audio interface.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by reggie1979beatz on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:23 pm
Even though it doesn't help the OP, I think it's worth mentioning again that I don't install anything nvidia. I simply let windoze choose what works, and that seems to be best. It's still "nvidia" stuff but all that extra goop isn't installed.

by MisterE on Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:26 pm
Gaming vs Studio Nvidia drivers choice often comes down to what you also do a lot of besides recording, if you do: as in gaming or video editing. In fairness, although I chose Studio, I'm aware of quite a few people who record and game who are happily running the Gaming driver . . . so if you happen to like gaming, I kind of doubt it would mess up your recording experience. Those are general guidelines, not absolutes.

Regarding letting "Windoze" choose the driver for you, while that is a perfectly valid option, the regular install lets you install just the basics as well, you'll be presented with an Express or Custom option. I found next to nothing to clean up after using that method.

For whatever reason, the internet is full of mumbo-jumbo and voodoo about installing Nvidia cards in a recording PC . . . which makes absolutely no sense to me, it was just a regular old installation that was downright boring . . . and I had at least as many fears about it as most people before I actually got in there at which point they all vanished.

The biggest myth is that the Nvidia driver adds more latency; I can't tell any difference whatsoever between it and the basic AMD placeholder card I was using previously. I'm not a measurer, it's either easy to record on the timeline using old workstation keyboards, modern VSTis, or guitar and vox, or it isn't . . . and it's easy.

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 am
Here here. There IS a ton of nonsense out there.

by MisterE on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:36 am
reggie1979beatz wroteHere here. There IS a ton of nonsense out there.

I'm curious if the lean and mean basic "Windoze" install installs the Nvidia Control Panel, as I've found it useful. For example there are options to limit the use of the most powerful mode to certain programs (say S1, Adobe Premier) that benefit from it and run on energy saving the rest of the time.

25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2