2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Good day, sir and/or madame.

My question is probably a little deeper than most have gone with the groove quantize feature. So I probably need an expert on this who codes the program or uses it in the way I intend to.

I have always used the groove quantize feature "manually" but never really paid attention to its behavior until I tried to make it do something more predictable that I can program in a macro and assign to the toolbar. Here's what I'm trying to do and the issue I've encountered:

First, I wanted to create a macro that does the following:

a) Select the Program A preset (in the groove quantize window) (editor window)
b) Trigger that Program A preset with a "Q" function.

Okay, I did all that. But now I've noticed a problem.

While the macro triggers Program A, I've noticed that the velocity and the range and the start and end settings do not seem to be saved with that groove preset. This makes the notion of applying a groove kind of pointless if that's the case. Yes, it can be applied manually by using your mouse to move the velocity, etc. But I need it to stay at its original saved setting state whenever I recall that preset — but it seems to change its settings based on whatever prior adjustments I've made to velocity, start, range, etc., manually.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the Groove Quantize Presets feature actually broken somewhat?

Thanks for any feedback. And I would appreciate replies from people who use the feature extensively so we can move past the speculation phase and get right down to the nitty gritty. :)

Thanks. P.S. We should do lunch soon.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by roland1 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:36 pm
[the sound of crickets chirping in the silent darkness of the forum] :)

While we're all waiting for "the chosen one" to arrive and answer this question, here are a few things to think about when using groove quantize. I wrote these on another post and thought I'd recycle and reuse:

1) When you quantize something and it stacks all the notes one on top of the other, it means that your grid size for the groove is too large or that the "range" is set too high. For instance, if you set it to 100% then it will grab notes that are further away from your primary note and then quantize it to that groove setting. Hence, stacking of notes. If you adjust it to 12%, you will get less or no stacking.

2) Sometimes, if you have a groove that does not begin at the first bar, it can confuse the groove editor. In such cases, you add a dummy note on the first beat so that it can reorient itself to where the groove starts.

3) When editing "MIDI" tracks, you may have to chop up the parts into smaller sections so that you are giving the groove editor a fixed length file to work on. There seems to be an issue with this that may be by design or just something that didn't get worked out in detail.

4) If you look at the actual code in saved groove files, you'll see that they have a set length and everything is mapped out carefully. However, there is no guarantee that the settings will be recalled accurately in the start, velocity and range indicators. So pay attention that you're getting the settings you want. You can, for instance, set the start to be at 50% of the groove you set, thereby leaving it a little looser, especially if you're trying to play tight to the grid instead of to a groove.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)

2 posts
Page 1 of 1