6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm looking for an easier way to manage (e.g. move, edit gain envelopes) audio events that are stacked on top of one another on the same track. This is for Studio One 5.5.2.

I like to create "manual echoes" where I make two or three copies of a section of an audio event, the move them later in time with gradually decreasing gain on each. I want the echoes to route through the same inserts and sends as the rest of the events in the track. (To make this work, I always have the Play Overlaps option enabled.)

The problem is that it gets difficult to manipulate the overlapping events. Even if I manage to move other events to the back, Studio One often picks the wrong kind of cursor for whatever I'm trying to change. I wind up having to temporarily move events out of the way onto other tracks, then back again after I get to the target event.

In Sonar/Cakewalk, I would create layers in the track and move the echo events to the layers so I could edit them without any visual overlap. But layers in Studio One are a completely different beast and can't be used this way.

I could create a channel bus, move all the inserts and sends there, and move all the automation envelopes there as well. Then create multiple audio tracks routing to that bus, and move the main audio and echo events to these new tracks. But that seems tedious and error-prone, especially moving the automation envelopes (I have eight on the current track I'm having trouble with). I usually don't know up front whether any given track will need this treatment, so I can't create tracks with channel buses to begin with.

Any ideas? What's the "natural" way to deal with deeply overlapping events in Studio One? Or is there an easier way to convert an audio track to a channel bus?

Windows 11 Pro
64GB RAM, Intel Core i9 10850K
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Quantum 2626, 2m StarTech TB cable
by erichaarbauer on Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:16 pm
Bumping for another chance at a response. Am I really the only one with this need?

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
by Tacman7 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:59 am
Most just use a delay insert maybe.

You do not have to stay on one track, I use two tracks in similar situation.

I've did that with guitar parts that I have trouble getting on one track.

If you have the snap setting to event then when you drag an event from one track to the other it would be in the same place.

Snaps are good to know:

https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Editing_ ... 257C_____1

A snap setting may be what you need rather than two tracks if you read through them and what they're for, maybe what you're looking for...

Have you tried doing that with layers? you can move a layer no matter how close to another event cause you've moving it from down in the layers...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lokeyfly on Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:55 am
erichaarbauer wroteI'm looking for an easier way to manage (e.g. move, edit gain envelopes) audio events that are stacked on top of one another on the same track. This is for Studio One 5.5.2.

I like to create "manual echoes" where I make two or three copies of a section of an audio event, the move them later in time with gradually decreasing gain on each. I want the echoes to route through the same inserts and sends as the rest of the events in the track. (To make this work, I always have the Play Overlaps option enabled.)

The problem is that it gets difficult to manipulate the overlapping events. Even if I manage to move other events to the back, Studio One often picks the wrong kind of cursor for whatever I'm trying to change. I wind up having to temporarily move events out of the way onto other tracks, then back again after I get to the target event.

In Sonar/Cakewalk, I would create layers in the track and move the echo events to the layers so I could edit them without any visual overlap. But layers in Studio One are a completely different beast and can't be used this way.

I could create a channel bus, move all the inserts and sends there, and move all the automation envelopes there as well. Then create multiple audio tracks routing to that bus, and move the main audio and echo events to these new tracks. But that seems tedious and error-prone, especially moving the automation envelopes (I have eight on the current track I'm having trouble with). I usually don't know up front whether any given track will need this treatment, so I can't create tracks with channel buses to begin with.

Any ideas? What's the "natural" way to deal with deeply overlapping events in Studio One? Or is there an easier way to convert an audio track to a channel bus?

Hi erichaarbauer,

Why not just set up a few duplicate tracks (right click) and place the edited slices per track. You can position the stacked audio events there easily by dragging them (snap on or off) or select event(s) and with the mouse over the bar-beat-ticks in the Track Inspector, scroll with the mouse wheel moving them into the necessary position.

I use events the same way at times as a sort of pseudo delay type of effect when called for, and its quite easy this way. The duplcate tracks are auto routed to the same mixer channel. For any other routing needs, create the required tracks to route accordingly.

I dont see the channel bus as a solution at all, and as you say, would be tedious.

Manual echos are a drop in the bucket in Studio One. Perhaps not how you were used to doing that, but still very easy. :+1

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by erichaarbauer on Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 pm
Thanks Tacman7 and Lokeyfly, both suggestions make sense. Much of what I do in this area could probably be done with the Groove Delay on a dedicated FX track. And if I have esoteric needs, duplicating the vocal track wouldn't be CPU-killer it was when I grew accustomed to my current workflow. (An example of "esoteric needs" would include mixing pre-echo with regular echo, as Rush does on the vocals near the end of "Animate".)

Windows 11 Pro
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
by SwitchBack on Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:52 am
The Splitter tool might do the trick, in combination with a few instances of a simple delay. Something similar to what’s discussed in this thread :)

6 posts
Page 1 of 1