6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm building midi vocal melodies for my songs. Anyone use a synth/patch that sounds something close to a male vocal singing to audition the melodies? Maybe it's better just to record my voice doing la-la-la...?

Maarkr
Studio: Studio One, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melodyne Studio + others (former user of Reaper, Acid, Sonar, Cubase and Reason)
i7 8700/Giga Z390 mobo, Win11 Pro-64 w32Gb, MOTU Ultralite mk4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Epi Les Paul, Zoom R-16...

Latest album release at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
by SwitchBack on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:47 am
A clarinet works quite well :)
by roland1 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 am
I've tried a number of sounds but have settled on the electric piano in Presence. Easy to reach for and you know it'll always be there in Studio One if you make a music loop or track template.

I use the "Rhodes soft" preset. Works great.

If you can sing in key and on pitch, then it's a great reference for guide or even final vocals because the sound is gentle enough not to be imposing, but it cuts through still. Pan it for flavor.

I have my melodies sketched out pretty good in advance and this also helps as a pitch guide to make sure I don't have to rely on auto tune or melodyne all that much.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:15 am
You can also try recording a few varied vocal tracks and record each into Sample One. Do that for every couple of keys. You could play them on your keyboard for some pretty convincing chorus or choir effects.

Even add what the guys suggested previously.
Sample One makes recording notes or instruments very easy. I'll try to find an example for you.

Ok got it.
phpBB [video]

This is from Russ over at Studio One Expert. Here, he takes a bass guitar and performs auto record with Sample One. Try this with vocals and you could perform this super easily even without having to stop during your recording if you follow Russ' example.
Fun stuff. I've cloned my Martin HD28-V, 68' Fender P Bass, two classical guitars, my Taylor 214, and even synth passages to make soundscapes.

Probably best not using "la la la...". It will come out sounding like "la la la....". Try different vowels one at a time. Really sing steadily and mic it trying to give a convincing "oooh", or "aaahhh", etc.
For vocals, insert the tuner as an input so you can keep in pitch. If not, don't sweat it. Just keep the pitch consistent. You can always fine tune later.

Remember quality in goes a long way over trying to fix things later.

If you're only adding a few tracks, just track them, while comping to fix any anomalies.

Still, give Sample One a whirl for some very rewarding results. The beauty there is you have key changes available at your finger tips.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by roland1 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:40 pm
My understanding is that you're trying to create MIDI parts that sound close enough to a human voice tone so you can gauge whether they work in the song, right?

You don't want to make voice samples? Or do you? I'm not sure I follow the plot anymore. :)

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:13 pm
He's open to synth/patch sounds, or singing the parts as well.

Aside from some vocal and choir libraries of which there are many, there are a few vocal emulation apps that you add the text, and it simulates a vocal. There's a few, even one was free (forget the name) but they all sounded rather poor. Interesting, but not very convincing. I think they're labeled Text to Speech plugins. Other plugins multiply, or pitch change as necessary.

The choir libraries are pretty good. Perhaps a blend with included real vocal tracks will put it over the top. Dunno.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

6 posts
Page 1 of 1