22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I need to transfer tracks from an old Roland system that doesn't produce WAV files to Studio One. I have Studio 68c with four inputs and have connected those to the Roland VS-1880 and established (hopefully...) the Master Block direct out routing that will send the files to the desired outputs when played. Also connected a MIDI cable.and made Roland MIDI settings to set the 1880 as Slave. The rest is in Studio One, and I can't find specific how-to instructions for doing this: (1) Set Studio One as Master to control the Roland device; (2) Send a Play code and import the first 4 tracks into the current song in Studio one (I'm using v4.6).

Other info: (1) The 1880 gives an example for setting it as slave to Cakewalk; the settings include SyncGen=MTC (time code), type=30, DeviceID=17. (2) It is possible I have to import the MIDI time code track into the 1880 in order to output synced tracks; that's somewhere else in the manual, doesn't tell you to do it in this example. (3) I have more than 4 tracks for some songs so I'll need to do this more than once for those songs without overwriting the first 4 tracks. I can sync them later manually because I recorded a clap across all tracks.

Thanks to anyone who can help with any or all of this. Don't assume I know too much about Studio One please - I've watched a ton of tutorials and done some minimal recording and editing so far but far from understanding all the subtleties.
by shanabit on Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:09 pm
All you have to do is send the Roland MTC from Studio One and set the Roland to SLAVE to MTC. Make sure the FRAME RATE is the same in the Song Setup in S1

In order to do this in S1 on the Start Page go to :

1. Configure External Devices
2. Add\ New Instrument and label it ROLAND
3. Set the MIDI SEND TO for the midi cable going to the Roland
4. Set midi channels to ALL since we don't know the control channel for midi on the Roland
5. ENABLE the SEND MidiTimecode check box then click the OK button
6. Go to Song\Song Setup in S1 and make sure that the SAMPLE RATE and FRAME RATE Match the ROLAND

7. Now you hit play in S1 and you have your 4 tracks RECORD ENABLED with the correct AUDIO PORTS on your interface. Rewind, turn record off on those four and do the next set of 4

**You will find this info NOWHERE BTW**

***No you don't have to record a sync code track on the Roland to do this

If you need more help just PM me. I had a Roland 2480 and synced it to the computer all the time

The REAL PITA is this. In EVERY other DAW you can imagine you simply enable MTC from the transport functions, not S1, they make you create an EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT and enable MTC on that when we ALL know that MTC is NOT an INSTRUMENT.
Last edited by shanabit on Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by tonyalterman on Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:21 pm
@shanabit - Thank you for this! I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow and let you know how it went, but it sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

It is really unfortunate that the documentation for Studio One is inadequate. The manual is not a real manual - unlike the 1880 manuals which are all you could ask for. The videos are helpful but not a substitute for a manual and not systematic. Sorry, I'm old-fashioned - a big fat book like I have for the Roland (3 in fact) or for Finale (years ago) is the way to get knowledge into people's hands, not these half-baked substitutes. Though ultimately I blame Microsoft et al. who led the way in excusing themselves from providing documentation on paper.
by shanabit on Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 am
1. Keep in mind S1 JUST got the ability to do MTC not long ago and most don't sync anything these days. The sync in S1 is basic at best.

2. In your MyPresonus account under Studio One look for Owners Manual and you can download a PDF manual which you can use or PRINT if need be.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by tonyalterman on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:28 pm
Hey shanabit -

So I did everything I could and so far a resounding silence... Not that I expected it to work the first time.

I was able to follow most of your procedure -
- Set up a new external device (I tried both Keyboard and Control Surface)
- Set sample rate 44.1 and frame rate 30 on both devices
- The S1 Send To and Receive From dropdowns only showed "Studio 68c Midi Out" and "Midi In" so that's what I used
- In the New Keyboard setup All channels are selected by default; the New Control Surface just shows a diagram with one stereo channel and two mono channels (L & R). You can add channels but I didn't try that.

On the VS 1880 I made all the settings they recommend. One thing they DON'T tell you in the Cakewalk example is to press EXT SYNC and PLAY to put the system in receive mode, but it says that elsewhere in the manual so I did it. Press the Play button in S1.... nothing. I tried adding 4 tracks to the song, though you didn't say I need to do that... still nothing.

Where I could not follow your instructions was -
- I can't find the SEND Midi Time Code option; it's not in the Add Device options or anywhere else that i looked. The S1 reference manual also says to do that, but it's not there (or I am blind... this is not impossible!). Obviously if that needs to be checked that's one reason it might not have worked. I also noticed that the Midi cable has In/Out and power lights, none of which lit up, so I'm pretty sure no signal was going out.

Thanks for any other insight you can provide!

Yes, I downloaded the Studio 68c and S1 ref manuals a while ago. The hw manual is adequate since the device is very simple. The other one... could be better.
by tonyalterman on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:55 pm
Ah, one more thing... you said "you have your 4 tracks RECORD ENABLED with the correct audio ports on your interface" - I took that to mean this is already done once I've done the setup. I was actually terrified of doing anything with the S1 RECORD button out of (ignorance plus) fear that I would somehow record over the tracks on the Roland rather than transfer them. So... is there something I need to do here?
by Tacman7 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:21 pm
When you create the instrument device it has options:
https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Setup_To ... 257C_____4

SendMidiclock.jpg

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by tonyalterman on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:20 pm
Thanks, Tacman7. The option is only there when you create it as an Instrument. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Nothing in the Roland documentation suggests that I should add an external recording system as an Instrument. I tried "Control Surface" and "Keyboard" - they don't have that option.
by Tacman7 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:43 pm
If you want to send midi to something you create an instrument. Normally you would do this if you had a keyboard synth, not just a controller but a keyboard with a sound module built in. So you send that midi and you record the audio output of the outboard device.

You're just going to be sending it clock and start and stop commands I would think.

Those 4 outputs you want to record into 4 tracks at once?

You need to setup mono inputs for those 4 tracks.
https://s1manual.presonus.com/#Setup_To ... 257C_____3

After that you create 4 mono audio tracks and set each input to the inputs you setup.

When you hit the monitor button on those tracks you should be able to hear what's being sent into the interface inside S1.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by tonyalterman on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm
And do I have to put each track into record mode also? It makes sense but as I said I'm syncing the recording devices so I'm just worried I might be inadvertently sending the Roland a record command and overwrite the existing tracks.
by Tacman7 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:30 pm
The only way the S1 audio track is connected to the Roland is the audio output.

But you are hitting record on the transport but I don't think it sync's to that level. Can you disarm the channels and test?

Forum Moderator.

by tonyalterman on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:21 am
Picking up this thread again after trying a few things and still coming up empty. I'm switching the original recording to one I don't need, one track only, to try and get this working. Here's what I've done so far in S1, in addition to setting up the VS 1880 in External Sync mode:

Added External Device as Instrument
- Name "VS 1880 Instrument"
- Send to Studio 68c MIDI Out
- Receive from Studio 68c MIDI In
- All channels
- Send MIDI Timecode
- Did not check Send MIDI Clock or Use MIDI Clock Start

Changed Options/Audio Setup/Audio/Audio Device to Studio USB
Created Song using Interfaces/Studio 68
- Audio I/O Setup shows
....2 Inputs, Input 1/2 from Mic/Line 1/2
....2 Outputs, Main L&R, Line Out 3(L) & Line Out 4(R)
Placed Track 1 in Record mode
Removed other tracks
Displayed the Record Mix interface with External showing "VS 1880 Instrument" as external instrument with preset record level
Clicked Play

Still no indication that any signal is going out over the MIDI cable, and no waveform shows on the track monitor as the cursor and clock move forward.

Any ideas on what is missing from this setup?
by shanabit on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:41 pm
1. Make SURE you have the MIDI CABLE going from the MIDI OUT on the audio interface to the MIDI IN on the Roland

2. Make SURE your SYNC option on the Roland is set to MTC and NOT Midiclock.

3. Best way to test this is to create a bland Song in S1 and start from scratch. Dont even worry about your TRACKS at this point, We have to get the SYNC going first.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by shanabit on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:42 pm
tonyalterman wroteAnd do I have to put each track into record mode also? It makes sense but as I said I'm syncing the recording devices so I'm just worried I might be inadvertently sending the Roland a record command and overwrite the existing tracks.

As long as the ROLAND tracks are NOT record enabled you are FINE. We are wanting PLAYBACK only from the Roland

Your MTC Sync is set using an EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT, NOT a Keyboard as I said already

Press
EXT Sync button

then
PLAY button to put 1880 into SYNC mode

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by tonyalterman on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:01 pm
Hey shanabit, thanks for the replies.

Regarding the connections, there is no MIDI In/Out port on either system; there's a single round MIDI port on the Roland and a 9-pin MIDI/SPDIF port on the Studio 68c. So it's not really possible to make a mistake there. I had to buy a conversion cable to go from the MIDI cable to the 68c.

Everything you said about MTC, Instrument, Ext. Sync, I did. There has to be something else in the setup that's not working.

I did have one PARTIAL success while waiting for replies to my last post. I set the VS 1880 to Master and set bth VS and S1 to MIDI Clock instead of MTC, then pressed PLAY on the 1880 and I DID get signal on the track monitor in S1, and was able to listen to the input on the 68c monitor. The track signal seems to be following the input in terms of volume, timing, start/stop etc. so I'm pretty sure it was seeing the signal. However, I don't think the sound was recorded.. The cursor was moving, but I don't hear anything when I play it back. I thought I'd see a wave form when the signal came through but it was just a solid line. It may be there but I don't know how to listen to it. I do have the Monitor button clicked on the track. Still can't send MIDI to the VS 1880 as Slave.
by shanabit on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:42 am
1. Is there a setting on the 68 to change that connection from S/PDIF to MIDI ??? HAS to be, you need to check the Universal Control software there

2. You need version 5 of Studio One to send MTC sync BTW

3. Please put your system specs in your signature so we know what we are working with. Look at mine for reference

4. Another OPTION to see if the MIDI from the Presonus is actually even working is to ENABLE
MidiClock on the Persons and change the Roland to sync via MidiClock and see what happens.
Ive real things about the midi being an issue on this interface

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by tonyalterman on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:53 pm
Aha! Version 5, that explains a lot! Except that the MTC option is there in v.4.6 so I don't know why it wouldn't work. (I put the version I'm using in my first post, thought you saw it. I've got an old and underpowered Windows 7 Core i5 laptop - it might cause latency issues but shouldn't keep MIDI from working at all.)

The MIDI implementation in S1 is pretty confusing. Where's the option to set it to Master or Slave? What does the MIDI Monitor do? How does Universal Control affect the MIDI port? I can't find any of this in the documentation.

I did what you said except in reverse - set the VS to Master, selected Clock instead of Time Code in the S1 External Device, and as I said in my last post, I got signal in S1. Also it looks like a wav file was create. But when I play back the track, or play the wav file in Media Player, there's no sound. So something is coming through, I can hear it in the monitor, and something is being recorded, but there's no sound.
by shanabit on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:42 am
Version 4 had some MTC issues if I recall. Not syncing.

You want Studio One to be the Master here BTW

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by shanabit on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:55 am
Master/Slave/Sync options should be under the Transport Tab up top. However Im on 5.5 here and things get moved and updated.
Check the manual.

Midi Monitor monitors the MIDI INPUT in S1, note on/off etc.

I can't find any documentation on the UC Control app here.

I didn't tell you to do anything in reverse here, there is a reason for that. Make S1 the MASTER

Im not worried about AUDIO recording here , SYNC only for now

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by tonyalterman on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:24 am
I'll try upgrading to S1 v5. The "Check for updates" link keeps returning an error message "Failed to connect to server" even though there is nothing wrong with my internet connection. UC gives the same message. But it looks like I can download it as an upgrade from the web site.

There is nothing about MIDI under Transport in 4.6. BTW I am using Artist, I assume you power users have Pro. I looked at the comparison on the Presonus site and in 5 they both included MTC Send but only Pro has "Follow". (Presumably these are new PC terms for Master/Slave?)

I know you didn't say to reverse the master/slave, I did it while waiting for a response a couple of days ago. The fact that it produced a signal and a wav file at least tells me that the cable is not the problem, and that both systems recognize he MIDI connection. But the MIDI Monitor did not move when I ran the transfer, that's why I was wondering what it does.

UC does not have a master/slave (send/follow) option either. It has a "Transfers" screen that purports to show when transfers happen. It also has a menu option to list network devices for use with MIDI, but clicking it does not actually let me list anything, so I'm not sure what that's about.

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2