15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello !

I'm kinda frustrated of many GUI lags since I switched to M1 pro MacBook.

on native studio one plugins or DAW interface there is absolutely no problems but once I load a 3rd party plugin this is catastrophic ... the whole GUI become laggy like if it was running at 10 fps

The issue occur on many plugin but the main one that I notice ( and sadly most use ) is Brainworx ssl 4000 channel strip ...

I tried on other daw such as logic and Ableton and I have no issue on these daws .

I also tried both AU and VST 3 version but it changes nothing ...

If you guys experience these kind of problems and even better if you have a solution for it , I'd love to read you on this subject !

Thanks a lot and have fun doing music :)
by hansvaneven on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:46 am
I had the same issue today using several Opus instances from East West and trying to build an orchestra template in S1. I found switching instruments to be sluggish as well, took a second or more to switch to another instrument, I compared in Reaper and the behaviour was instantly. Not sure this has to do with S1 or the plugins itself but would be great to have some input from other users on this.
by louiscoutellier on Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 pm
Nice to see I'm not the only one .. Like you said I hope we'll have some feedback from other users ..
by NoiseCoalition on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:53 am
louiscoutellier wroteHello !

The issue occur on many plugin but the main one that I notice ( and sadly most use ) is Brainworx ssl 4000 channel strip ...

Fwiw, I just tried putting all the different BX SSL channel strips on a track and couldn't recreate any GUI lag.

I'm on a 16" M1 Max Macbook Pro.

Studio One Pro 6.5 | Macbook Pro M1 Max 16" 64gb | RME HDSPe MADI FX | Antelope Orion 32 HD | UAD Apollo x8p
by babulmukherjee on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:05 am
Using an external monitor?

If you are running in Mac display scaling mode with an external monitor, I have seen this. Solution is run your external monitor in non-scaled mode.

Apple Mac Studio Max 64gb RAM, Ventura, RME UFX III, Studio One 6, Genelec 8330A w/7350A, Sennheiser HD 650
by louiscoutellier on Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:51 am
Thanks for your answers !

I'll make a short video to demonstrate the GUI lag :)

So the lag occur even without external monitor on , especially when the sessions are starting to get busy ( I guess when there is many meters displaying at the same time .. )

But yeah when a monitor is plugged in then in increase the lag drastically ... I'll try your tip !
by louiscoutellier on Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:02 am
Here is the link of a video showing the lag with BX plugin , be sure to watch it in 60 fps :p

I also loaded Soothe 2 to show that other plugins give no GUI issues

https://youtu.be/SHMi4lZB31Y
by PreAl on Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:47 am
So can you confirm the behaviour with scaled mode off?

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by louiscoutellier on Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:03 am
Absolutely !
by NoiseCoalition on Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:22 am
Are you running S1 natively or via Rosetta?

Studio One Pro 6.5 | Macbook Pro M1 Max 16" 64gb | RME HDSPe MADI FX | Antelope Orion 32 HD | UAD Apollo x8p
by keithwilliams10 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:31 pm
This happens for me too. I see it with various plugins. It's easiest to see with Slate Digital plugins that show a VU meter. The VU meter is very laggy with an external monitor. Without the external monitor, it is perfectly fine. I've tried many things. I don't have scaling, i've tried various refresh rates, etc. M1 Pro 32gb with a 4k external monitor over hdmi (I've tried it over the usb-c ports too).
by aneekthapar on Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:05 pm
Also happens for me.

Makes the entire S1 App sluggish when I have a PA plugin open.
by ericma2 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:31 pm
Anyone of you figure this out? I get plugin gui lag in a brand new session with only four audio tracks and klanghelm VU Meter. I've learned to live with it because sometimes it doesn't lag and I haven't had time to look into it. I got some time now and I don't think an upgrade from the D300 GPU is the solution.

2013 Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core 64 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Pro Tools 21.12 <- Finally left Pro Tools - THANKS S1!!!!
Euphonix Artist Mix firmware 1.5.6.0
Eucon v4.8.3
by michaelreid7 on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:34 am
I'm using a MacBook Air M2 on the latest version of S1 and I'm also noticing a gui lag with my 3rd party VST's (e.g. Korg Wavestate Native, Hive 2). When I use them in Logic or FL studio there are no issues whatsoever, only in S1 do I see this happening.
by craigallen2 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:51 am
There is a YouTube video about the problems of Apple's GUI scaling of the OS (rather than the UI), and the pixel requirements for Macs (around 220 for Retina, and 1/2 that, i.e. 110 for non-Retina). This means that all 4k 27-32" monitors are out of spec! Notice that Apple monitors are 21.5" at 4k, and 27" at 5k! These are the Apple requirements. The best one can do (if you cannot afford a 5k monitor) is to do the .5 of that, which is a native 2560x1440 monitor (i.e. 1440p or 2.5k, in relation to 5k), and run it natively with no scaling. These are the 2 approaches to solve the GUI lag on external monitors.

15 posts
Page 1 of 1