4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there

I've ran into a problem I've never had before and would really like some input since I've tried everything within my, pretty limited, knowledge and have no idea how to go about this.

I have a session with 11 active tracks, some of which have some plugins on them, that are pretty CPU hungry (soothe2, Valhalla Vintage Reverb for ex.). I experienced some pops and crackling noises because Studio One said my CPU was overloaded. After I checked the actual CPU usage in my task manager I was a little surprised since only 25% of my CPU were being used at that moment. Then I looked up some system optimization stuff (Processor scheduling > Background services etc.) and experimented with dropout-protection and buffer size. It was only after I changed the sample rate to 48.0 kHz that the playback went smoothly went all of my plugins – at the time, that is, since I wasn't done with the project yet.
So, happy I got the playback running smoothly again, I added Valhalla Vintage Reverb and Valhalla Shimmer on a track which, to my suprise, didn't seem to affect the CPU usage. But instead of the beautiful luscious verb I only got to hear crackling again, even though the CPU was only 28% according to Studio One. When I went to mute the track, I encountered something even stranger: Even though the track in question was muted, I heard chopped up digital crackling fragments of the track when I played it back...! :hunf:

When I copied the track to a new project and added the same plugins I had no issues whatsoever and the playback was completely smooth, so it's definitely not a plugin issue.

As far as I can tell my audio drivers are all up to date.

Here's some info regarding my setup:
Version: Studio One 3.5.6.46910 Win x64
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor 3.20 GHz
RAM: 16GB
Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? I'm really at my wits end here and would appreciate any input.

Kind regards,
Noah
by johnboyd4 on Mon May 30, 2022 12:49 am
It seems hard to get people to answer questions on here. But I will. So usually when you hear crackling and popping it's because your buffer is too low for your CPU to handle (due to how many tracks and plugins. I also have a Ryzen. But it's a 16-core 3950x with 128 Gb of ram. So I don't run into this issue. But I used to. Valhalla and Oeksound plugs use a lot of CPU.
First check and make sure NONE of your channels are clipping and close the session. Save the session and close it. Then re-open the session again but take off ALL the plugins, then save this session as "test", (or whatever you like). Just save it as a different version. Now put your buffer on 1028, Sample rate at 44.1, and 24-bit processing. Now start adding back the plugins and test each one by letting it play audio. After you rule out plugins I would check all background processes. After you try that get back to me.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Ventura
RME MADIFACE PRO > FERROFISH A32 PRO AD/DA. FOCAL TWIN 6be MONITORS, GRACE M905 CONTROLLER, MANLEY, IGS, UA Audio, PULTEC, MAAG, WES AUDIO, NEVE, HERITAGE AUDIO, BETTERMAKER, Yada yada
by LucasTX on Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:51 am
I was having a similar problem and was directed to the Presonus article on optimizing your windows PC for audio - you might give that article a read (sorry I don't have a handy link). I'd also suggest that you remove your interface driver software (even if up to date) and reinstall it.

Lucas Geezer
Studio One Professional 6.x
Presonus Studio 1810
Dell XPS 8940 i7 32GB
Windows 11 64 bit
Akai MPD218
Numa Compact 2
Assorted Guitars, Amps, Mics
Genre: Aggressive Alternative (currently working on musical audio book)
by Trucky on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:34 am
LucasTX wroteI was having a similar problem and was directed to the Presonus article on optimizing your windows PC for audio - you might give that article a read (sorry I don't have a handy link). I'd also suggest that you remove your interface driver software (even if up to date) and reinstall it.

Good suggestion. Here's a link to that article:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025279231-Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32

4 posts
Page 1 of 1