19 posts
Page 1 of 1
I use gain envelope for editing breaths in vocals, sybilance etc. and annoying this is you can't edit gain envelope on multiple objects at once. It's strange, because you can do basically everything else when selecting multiple audio or MIDI clips.

Is this intender beahviour or an oversight of developers?

PC: AMD Ryzen 3900X, 32GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz CL16, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 8GB, SSD CORSAIR SSD MP510 960GB M.2 NVMe (OS)
DAW: Studio One Professional x64
Gear: RME Fireface 802 + RME Advanced Remote, Prometheus Acoustics monitors, Avantone Mixcubes, JBL 305p, Softube Console 1, Presonus Faderport, AKAI Advance 61, Presonus Faderport, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 7:50 am
wdkbeats wroteI use gain envelope for editing breaths in vocals, sybilance etc. and annoying this is you can't edit gain envelope on multiple objects at once. It's strange, because you can do basically everything else when selecting multiple audio or MIDI clips.

Is this intender beahviour or an oversight of developers?

As to multiple objects at the same time, no.

As to numerous independent objects, yes.

For axample, you could edit one event, turn clip gain on, edit four different areas. Go to another event, turn clip gain on, edit 6 areas, etc.

If you want to establish or print the adjusted events, you can later bounce them independently as you need.

You can even turn clip gain on, adjust a few areas, and turn clip gain off (un check) the adjustments will hold. Turn clip gain on a week later and see those same gain adjustments. They will always be there until you bounce.

For multiple objects, are you looking to do that on numerous tracks at the same area in time? Or selecting different points along one track? For numerous tracks, you might try creating a bus and use automation.

I'd be careful of numerous clip gain adjustments at the same time as gain adjustments to the waveform itself can possibly be harsh. Automation has more leeway to being non destructive. Mmv to each of course.

You could always feature request this. I don't believe it was an oversight. JMO.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by wdkbeats on Thu May 26, 2022 8:19 am
Lokeyfly wrote
For numerous objects, are you looking to do that on numerous tracks at the same area in time?

Yes, for example: 4 vocal doubles or harmonies. It is impossible to turn down breaths in all for of them at once at the same area in time.

PC: AMD Ryzen 3900X, 32GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz CL16, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 8GB, SSD CORSAIR SSD MP510 960GB M.2 NVMe (OS)
Gear: RME Fireface 802 + RME Advanced Remote, Prometheus Acoustics monitors, Avantone Mixcubes, JBL 305p, Softube Console 1, Presonus Faderport, AKAI Advance 61, Presonus Faderport, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 8:32 am
I get what you're saying. There, it might be best to group the vocals and turn them down at the same point in time via automation. Levels while similar to gain in that they are both a volume adjustment, are still quite different in affect and the signal path. For example, gain is pre effects, and automation is post effects.

That can completely alter such things as compression and other dynamics that are pre-fade.Something to consider.

Hey, FR it. Couldn't hurt.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 8:42 am
:idea: I could try this shortly is place a region over 4 audio tracks with clip gain turned on. Then see if they move together. I suspect the nodes of the clip gain would have to be defined, at least on one track. It's worth a try.

That might be the talking point as how to handle controlling this in an FR.

Also, as described above, Studio One can perform this same region adjustment via automation without having to create a bus. So that's really quite useful toward workflow. Just throwing that out there.
I believe that's what your initial post was stating about how Studio One can handle multiple audio tracks at once. Though you may have meant adjustment by moving the global center gain node which in this case we know would be too harsh.

Let's see what a few trial exoeriments with clip gain can do.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Tacman7 on Thu May 26, 2022 8:59 am
So this is 4 grouped tracks? They follow each other if the tracks are grouped for me.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 9:13 am
Tacman7 wroteSo this is 4 grouped tracks? They follow each other if the tracks are grouped for me.

Grouped or ungrouped I suspect. Interesting. Good if a few variations on this theme work for wdkbeats.
Maybe detail your findings.

I'll try the independent track approach, by regional highlight over 4 clip gain ready tracks.

I might suggest wdkbeats try the separate automation lane adjust by using the region tool, as an alternative?

News at 12:00 Central Std time. ;)
However it may go.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by wdkbeats on Thu May 26, 2022 9:28 am
Tacman7 wroteSo this is 4 grouped tracks? They follow each other if the tracks are grouped for me.

Grouping tracks does not affect the gain envelopes, unfortunately.

I haven't found any way to modify gain envelopes on several audio events simultaneously.

Automation is not the way I want to do it, because:
- it works post fader
- it does not give a visual feedback on affected audio events (gain envelope does)
- I want my edits done before any other processing

by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 10:30 am
wdkbeats wrote

Grouping tracks does not affect the gain envelopes, unfortunately.

I haven't found any way to modify gain envelopes on several audio events simultaneously.

Automation is not the way I want to do it, because:
- it works post fader
- it does not give a visual feedback on affected audio events (gain envelope does)
- I want my edits done before any other processing

Your best bet given your needs wdkbeats is create a feature request.

My attempt at highlighting 4 tracks with clip gain activates the four (clip ready), but control resides with one track at a time.

I proceeded to make a VCA track of the four tracks and create an automation lane. Adjusting that lane draws the automation on the four tracks universally making it very visible they have the necessary dip or rise together from the one VCA. I know this isn't to your liking, but it's very uniform performing the single edit moves this way.

Is there a direct way impacting clip gains in one stroke? I don't know of one.

Anyhow, the FR you could post if you like. Again I don't believe it's an oversight with development, but we all share different needs, and an FR is the best course of action of dropping this into the suggestion box.

All the best my friend.
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by wdkbeats on Thu May 26, 2022 10:38 am
Thanks, Lokeyfly! I'll post a FR in my spare time.

by Jemusic on Thu May 26, 2022 12:53 pm
On your main arrange window, if I select all or a group of audio events, all their clip gain handles show up for all the selected events. If I grab any one of the clip gain handles and move, they all move for me at once and change by the same amount.

I do it all the time if I get tracks that are recorded low and they all look low but a similar very small waveform height. I will grab all of them and push all their clip gain handles up so the track waveforms appear solid and a decent size.

phpBB [video]

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm
Yep, covered the global aspect.
Lokeyfly wrote: "Though you may have meant adjustment by moving the global center gain node which in this case we know would be too harsh."

Which is still on the table if wdkbeats wishes to work that way. I suspect he's doing more sectional breathe and sibilance type combined editing.
Enter the splice tool if cuts arent too intrusive, but it's all good.👍

Thanks Jeff!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by wdkbeats on Fri May 27, 2022 4:39 am
Jemusic wroteOn your main arrange window, if I select all or a group of audio events, all their clip gain handles show up for all the selected events. If I grab any one of the clip gain handles and move, they all move for me at once and change by the same amount.

I do it all the time if I get tracks that are recorded low and they all look low but a similar very small waveform height. I will grab all of them and push all their clip gain handles up so the track waveforms appear solid and a decent size.

phpBB [video]

I'm well aware of this method, but it doesnt fit my needs because in order to edit things like breaths you have to split audio objects. I do not want that. That's why Gain Envelope is a great tool for this type of editing, it just doesn't work on multiple selected items (i.e. vocal stacks, harmonies).

by Jemusic on Fri May 27, 2022 3:48 pm
Breath editing is a tricky thing. I do it two ways. One is to actually make the cuts and isolate the breaths. You can at least select all of the breaths at once and lower the clip gain handles. You may need to add tiny crossfades to all the audio events especially the ones leading into and out of the breath cut areas. That is easy and fast to do.

I also do breath editing in Adobe Audition editor. Like a vocal take that is 3 to 4 minutes long. I just swipe the areas and drop them by 10 db. It usually works pretty nice in the end. In vocal takes I like them to still remain very slightly audible for realism.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Jemusic on Sun May 29, 2022 9:15 pm
I have discovered a way to edit multiple clip gain envelopes within the one audio event or several audio events on the one track or over multiple tracks. It involves holding down the Shift key and selecting all the nodes you want to change at once. Video explains it. This might be a workaround.

phpBB [video]

by Lokeyfly on Mon May 30, 2022 12:35 am
Nicely displayed,. Since the OP needs multiple clip gain adjustments in time, this looks quite useful and might work for his needs. I hadn't tried re hilighting clip gain nodes/regions to multi activate them. Very nice.

For myself, this could be useful where there might be a crescendo created by multiple tracks causing clipping. So this could be a quick way to get multiple edits down (or up if the opposite were needed) without having to create a VCA track and edit automation in one line that affects all three. Guess it depends on the amount of edits, or simply just one's preference.

Nice approach. Thanks!
I'll use it

Lokeyfly to wdkbeats: "That might be the talking point as how to handle controlling this in an FR."

Possibly how Jeff selected the area on one of three highlighted events at the same point in time might be the easiest way to allocate the area. Maybe region tool or with a modifier.

Personally I like his example here best because different audio events will have different waveform shapes (longer, shorter, higher, smaller) so individual selection accounts for a lot. mmv.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by wdkbeats on Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:21 pm
Jemusic wroteI have discovered a way to edit multiple clip gain envelopes within the one audio event or several audio events on the one track or over multiple tracks. It involves holding down the Shift key and selecting all the nodes you want to change at once. Video explains it. This might be a workaround.

phpBB [video]

Nice, but still not what I'm looking for :) Imagine editing breaths on 16 vocal harmonies using this method - total clickfest :D

Does this work with range selection on multiple audio tracks (that's how I use gain envelopes)? I'm away for a few days, can't check it myself, but I believe I tried every possible key modifier.

I might make a quick video when I get back to show you guys what exactly I'm after and why it'd be super useful if it worked the way I imagine it should work :)

Cheers!

by Jemusic on Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:32 pm
I have indeed done some more research and it is definitely possible to select multiple nodes much easier and faster. Check the video.

phpBB [video]

by Lokeyfly on Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:16 am
Thank you Jeff in finding the added possibilities as well as where zoning does and doesn't work. I say "work" knowing wdkbeats has still something in mind on the one stroke broader approach.

The content you display helps understand where a few anomalies occur as well. Good research my friend!

I think having the multi gain envelope (by zone selection) could be a nice showcase for version 6 so we'll have to see what happens.

@ wdkbeats, let us know if you need assistance on the FR, even to get is started while you locate an example.

:idea: Just noting, I wonder if there was a more expeditious way to create clip gain regions by the zone tool alone. Of course currently there isnt. Its likely for good reason as well. Reason being, a region selection is just that, it doesn't pinpoint each tracks editable start and end point. It couldn't unless there were some threshold over noise or some level. So it would be interesting if the Zone region was allocated over a number of tracks, and selection (the nodes normally as shown) was auto created based on some characteristics of the waveform. In this case, each tracks exclusive waveform. Nodes might hold where the zone tool edge is overlayed or the node is allocated to some inner ramp (threashold) of the wave, peak transients, whatever. Just envisioning a good place to be in all of this.

Lastly, If the argument were "just position along the region border only". The downside is this is waveform gain manipulation, and not track level, so the need for broad stroked editing can become very dicey traveling through some waveforms. Do they always recover, or produce other artifacts? They certainly can.

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts if someone is editing numerous (as in five plus) tracks this way at great lengths in a song or audio project, then automation such as VCA is far more elegant and visual as to where editing occurs.
Seems there's still a functional need for it at times. :+1

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

19 posts
Page 1 of 1