6 posts
Page 1 of 1
This is related to using Vienna Ensemble Pro.

If I solo a track in the arranger, instead of soling just the one related audio track, it's soloing every other track that receives an output from VEP. The outputs are different (setup to receive different instruments loaded in VEP) so I don't understand why it's doing this.

So instead of being able to hear just the one track, I'm hearing a bunch of other tracks as well, defeating the purpose of soloing.

Anyone using VEP that knows why this is happening and how to get around it?

Thanks!
by Lokeyfly on Wed May 25, 2022 3:08 am
I dont have Vienna VEP but the core track state should be the same coming into Studio One.

Can you provide a screen shot?

Check Studio One's track list (horizontal lines button) and see if anything there indicates multiple tracks being triggered. Also make sure "Show All Tracks" is on for full visibility.

Lastly, what I do when I have a lot of tracks and I hear some track or channel I can't find due to being hidden is open the mixer and narrow all channels ><
Then see if the Solo is signaling any other channels by watching meter activity. Then direct attention at those channels. It wouldn't hurt to enable "Link visibility of track list and console" because when you hide an item in the track list or console, it is hidden in the other as well.

Oh. yeah, check the input of the track that's being solo'd There may be a track from Vienna that is unexpectedly carrying multiple outs or Rewire patching.

Probably lastly, see if the global solo button in Studio One turns everything off.

If all that fails to locate the issue, turn your attention to Vienna and how it groups or handles combined instruments.

Another little diddy, lol. As per the S1 manual.....
M and S have no effect on the Bus or FX channels (see Solo Safe)
Maybe worth investigating your bus, if any (though your mixer minimized would again point to a level coming from there).

Hope that helps.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Madfloyd on Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am
Thanks for responding. I've now realized that it has nothing to do with VEP.

As a test, I've loaded 4 instruments into one Kontakt instance and routed each instrument into a separate output channel. See screenshot.

Note that I've soloed track 2 in the arranger (Clarinets) but all 4 output tracks become soloed in the console. This is the behavior I'm trying to avoid.

by Lokeyfly on Wed May 25, 2022 11:04 am
Hey Madfloyd,
Good screenshot. Tells the story.

For better or worse, it's been a long time since I ran one instance of Kantakt with 4 instruments. You could try running 4 instances of Kontakt, each with its own instrument with no hit on CPU load at all. You'd have 4 separate tracks of Kontakt.
Still, we all work differently, so a few observations.
Depending on how your Kontakt mixer is set it looks like "Kt.st. 1 to Kt.st. 1" is always on (grayed). That's sort of the norm with Kontakt. Have you tried setting Kontakt Outputs (click the plus symbol) and create newly defined outs? This can get deep so I don't wish to throw too much out there, but there's a number of good walk through tutorials on it.
That's one way.

The other is creating the separate instances. If you want layered instances on some, fine. But this is a way you'd be clicking on each track and not having to worry about Kontakt mixer outs with same solo. They would be independent.

I dont have Cinimatic Studio Woodwinds (I think) but the Kontakt architecture is pretty much the same.

Curious: I don't see any events for each track. Are you playing audio from CSW? Or just displaying the Solo condition in Studio One without sound?

Yeah, try one instance of Bassoons, one of Clarinets, one of Flutes, and one of Oboes. That will work.

I did try using Kontakt Orchestra Factory Library and setting up something similar and Solo did not trigger all of the channels, so what I can't see is your Kontakt Outputs mapping even though your screenshot does show the Kontakt outs selected in Studio One's channels. I wonder if there's some connection mystery not visible.

Hope the separate instances is an option for you.
James

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Madfloyd on Wed May 25, 2022 2:26 pm
Thanks again for responding.

The workaround of separate instances would be fine if I was just working within Studio One - in fact that's the way I usually work and have never had an issue.

Unfortunately, I'm now using VEP where it's better (for performance) having fewer instances. I have one instance for each library rather than one instance per instrument.

It's just a shame that Studio One doesn't try to differentiate between midi channels when trying to be smart and solo the corresponding console channels.
by Lokeyfly on Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm
I understand. Certain hardware and in this case software force us to work a certain way.
There are Performance situations I'd also like to see in Studio One. You may even find a balance between some tracks having instances and others grouped.
For example unique tunings or preventing runaway sampled triggers at times.
All the Best!

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

6 posts
Page 1 of 1