7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have an RME Fireface UFX. Can Studio One control ASIO Direct Monitoring on that or do I have to switch back and forth between Studio One and the Totalmix app? I am running the latest version of Studio One on a Windows 10 computer.
by davidbarrow on Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 am
Or can Studio One control direct monitoring on an RME RayDAT card? RME has a separate TotalMix app that allows direct monitoring, but switching back and forth between TotalMix asn Studio One is not efficient.
by Tacman7 on Sat May 21, 2022 7:52 pm
I've not owned an RME product, always wanted to.

I have a TCelectronics interface that uses TCmix or whatever it's called. It also has zero latency monitoring.

I've had a few cards with that functionality and it was always controlled through an app.

I've not seen any control like that inside in any DAW I've used.

Maybe a mixer that is an interface would have that functionality through midi.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by razorwit on Sun May 22, 2022 7:42 am
Hi David.
Short version - Yes, you can use hardware monitoring from within Studio One with an RME, or at least with my HDSPe MADI fx it works. I expect it'll work with your RayDAT.

Longer version - Yes, but I don't. If you set up S1 to use hardware monitoring you can hit the monitor button in S1 and it will input monitor using hardware and send that audio to the output paths you have set up in S1. That said, the RME mixer has much better routing capabilities than S1 does, and you cannot control DSP monitoring effects ('verb, delay, comp, eq) from S1, so you may end up going back to TotalMix anyway.

For example - in my joint I send 16 channels of output to headphone distro. I could probably set up cue mixes in S1 for them, but since I'm sending to a Hear Back, the artists just set their levels themselves anyway so I'm rarely messing around with it. I just send this API pre to phones 1, and that 1176 to phones 2 (or whatever) and then let them set individual levels.

Even if I did set their levels in S1 though, I couldn't adjust my DSP monitoring fx. My clients inevitably want "a little less 'verb" or "some more high frequencies" in their monitor path, so I'm back to TotalMix to set that up anyway. On top of that I'm frequently routing mic X to compressor Y and EQ Z in my analog signal chains, and I do much of that in TotalMix as well (you can't do that stuff in S1).

So, you can, but you might not want to :)

Hope that helps
Dean

Dean Winter
Windows 10, RME HDSPe MADI fx -> Lynx Aurora and Antelope Orion,
Mics, compressors, guitars and stuff.
by davidbarrow on Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:08 pm
razorwit wroteHi David.
Short version - Yes, you can use hardware monitoring from within Studio One with an RME, or at least with my HDSPe MADI fx it works. I expect it'll work with your RayDAT.

Longer version - Yes, but I don't. If you set up S1 to use hardware monitoring you can hit the monitor button in S1 and it will input monitor using hardware and send that audio to the output paths you have set up in S1. That said, the RME mixer has much better routing capabilities than S1 does, and you cannot control DSP monitoring effects ('verb, delay, comp, eq) from S1, so you may end up going back to TotalMix anyway.

For example - in my joint I send 16 channels of output to headphone distro. I could probably set up cue mixes in S1 for them, but since I'm sending to a Hear Back, the artists just set their levels themselves anyway so I'm rarely messing around with it. I just send this API pre to phones 1, and that 1176 to phones 2 (or whatever) and then let them set individual levels.

Even if I did set their levels in S1 though, I couldn't adjust my DSP monitoring fx. My clients inevitably want "a little less 'verb" or "some more high frequencies" in their monitor path, so I'm back to TotalMix to set that up anyway. On top of that I'm frequently routing mic X to compressor Y and EQ Z in my analog signal chains, and I do much of that in TotalMix as well (you can't do that stuff in S1).

So, you can, but you might not want to :)

Hope that helps
Dean

What Hear Back system do you use? Can you give me more info about how you have that setup?
by lawajava on Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:36 am
David,

I use the RME Babyface Pro (withTotalMix) with Studio One. Several answers come to mind. Yes either headphones or monitors are connected to the RME audio interface so you’d be listening through that.

If I’m wanting to record/track and simultaneously listen to my input audio signal with the onboard DSP effects I can do that with zero latency and have the Studio One song tricked out with all sorts of effects and non-transformed instruments. And have the ASIO panel set to 2048. In Studio One the input monitor for the track being recorded would be off in that case.

However, if I’m recording say electric guitar and want to use amplifier effects associated to that track in Studio One I will set the Studio One input monitor as on. I will set the ASIO panel to 48 or 64 which sounds essentially like zero latency and yet I can hear the effects from the Studio One track applied. However in this case I would to some degree have some of the other effects on the master bus or other tracks/channels potentially turned off, or at least some of the heavier effected tracks transformed, so that Studio One’s overall use of the CPU does not cause any clicks or pops at that low ASIO latency setting.

It’s an easy mentality to get used to how effects can be bypassed for tracking and then re-engaged for mixing. And to change the ASIO panel setting.

For simple vocal or microphone recording with the RME onboard effects though I don’t need to change the Studio One effects settings at all or the ASIO panel setting. The Studio One song can be maxed out with effects and everything records great while I’m tracking/recording that microphone track with zero latency and listening to the combined sound through the RME TotalMix output.

Regarding the control aspect, Studio One doesn’t control the routing within TotalMix or for example turning on and off reverb in TotalMix. Studio One of course has the place to identify it is sending the audio signal to the RME audio device.

And if you want to be more complex you can have different output channels from Studio One (like a second Main output for a headphones mix) get picked up and routed within TotalMix separate output routings/settings to speakers or alternate headphone outs)

Studio One Pro latest, Macbook Pro M3 Max, 64GB. 10TB SSD. Babyface Pro audio interface. KRK VXT8 Monitors, Avantone Mixcubes, NI Maschine Jam, NI Komplete Kontrol S88, S61 and S49 and S25, Guitars, Bass. Main mic is Shure SM7db.
by razorwit on Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:36 am
davidbarrow wrote
What Hear Back system do you use? Can you give me more info about how you have that setup?

Hi David,
Sure - I'm using a Hear Back Pro with a bunch of mixers. The setup is a bit complex, so bear with me :)

The Hear Back head unit is racked and gets fed 16 channels off an ADAT feed from one of my converters (the Antelope, IIRC). So I go from my RME MADI-FX -> converters (Lynx and Antelope) -> Hear Back. In my RME card channels 33 - 48 are my phones channels, with 47/48 set as a dedicated stereo pair for cue. The idea there is that the RME channels 25/26 go to my Genelecs in the control room, and RME 47/48 go to channels 15/16 on the Hearback for cue. They both take a (usually) identical feed, either from the master out of S1 or the main outs on the SSL if I'm spreading a session out on the mixer.

The important part there is I have two independent destinations for monitor/cue playback, the studio monitors and the headphone cue. They're frequently identical, but I can set them up differently if I want without one affecting the other. Then on channels 1 - 14 on the Hear Back the artists can adjust things however they'd like for their monitoring, and I can adjust what I'd like for my monitoring without affecting what they're hearing.

Here's a good example of that - if I have a guitar player playing, I can feed her the mics on her cab on channels 1 and 2 of the Hear Back, but then I can patch those mics into a couple of hardware EQs and route the outs of the EQs to my Genelecs. That way I can mess around with the EQ without her hearing me sweep through frequencies. Usually the cue playback we're hearing is going to be the same, but if she decides she doesn't want to hear the acoustic guitar we've previously tracked, but I really DO need to hear it so I can EQ correctly, I can totally do that. I can just send a cue mix to her phones without it, but keep the normal one in my playback mix so I'll still hear it in my monitors.

Incidentally, the Hear Back is all running over Ethernet to the mixers, so it's super easy to move the mixers around.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions and I can try to answer.

Dean Winter
Windows 10, RME HDSPe MADI fx -> Lynx Aurora and Antelope Orion,
Mics, compressors, guitars and stuff.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1