25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
marchppner wroteFinally a possible solution!! - Take a look at the Dolby Atmos Composer from https://fiedler-audio.com/.

This should nicely suffice for all those who have been clamoring for ATMOS - in any DAW - not just S1.

Even better is the official "endorsement" from Dolby labs and the fact that Fiedler can maintain this separately from any DAW development cycle out there - plus the price is very reasonable.

Sounds like a win to me.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.1.99821 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.250) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by garybowling on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:47 am
Vocalpoint wrote
marchppner wroteFinally a possible solution!! - Take a look at the Dolby Atmos Composer from https://fiedler-audio.com/.

This should nicely suffice for all those who have been clamoring for ATMOS - in any DAW - not just S1.

Even better is the official "endorsement" from Dolby labs and the fact that Fiedler can maintain this separately from any DAW development cycle out there - plus the price is very reasonable.

Sounds like a win to me.

VP

How is this different than things like Halo Upmix or Penteo?

I've briefly looked at those but don't really have much first hand knowledge. But that all needs to change as I do need to start mixing in ATMOS even just for music.

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 11, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by Vocalpoint on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:27 am
garybowling wroteHow is this different than things like Halo Upmix or Penteo?

Well firstly - I do not believe Halo Upmix does ATMOS natively. It can prep a compatible bed track layout but that's all as far as I can tell.

Penteo does ATMOS but at a much higher price point and Studio One is not in the requirements listing as it appears you need a multichannel capable DAW to use it.

For the journeyman Atmos mixer who wants to get going fast for a reasonable price - especially with a non-multichannel DAW like S1 that does not have ATMOS built in - this seems like a more feasible option.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.1.99821 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.250) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by garybowling on Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:48 pm
Vocalpoint wrote
garybowling wroteHow is this different than things like Halo Upmix or Penteo?

Well firstly - I do not believe Halo Upmix does ATMOS natively. It can prep a compatible bed track layout but that's all as far as I can tell.

Penteo does ATMOS but at a much higher price point and Studio One is not in the requirements listing as it appears you need a multichannel capable DAW to use it.

For the journeyman Atmos mixer who wants to get going fast for a reasonable price - especially with a non-multichannel DAW like S1 that does not have ATMOS built in - this seems like a more feasible option.

VP

Thanks, the price point is attractive for sure. Studio One is not multi channel per say, but you can send a bus out to a hardware output. Problem is, tracks are assigned to one bus so you can't mix a track to multiple buses to create pans. But there are plugins that can do this, Izotope has a mix assistant where a plug takes multiple channels and can mix them to the output.

Seems like a plugin that did something similar with multiple busses set up for your ATMOS environment could do the same thing. I assumed some of these ATMOS plugins did that, but I haven't tried any of them.

Interesting stuff that I need to do a lot more learning about.

UPDATE - I had a chance this evening to go watch the full beginner tutorial on the Fiedler Dolby ATMOS Composer. It works very much like the Izotope mixer I mentioned above. It looks like a really nice product for this type of thing. I may have to get it since it's currently on sale.

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 11, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
by garybowling on Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:25 am

Thanks. I acquired a copy of Dolby ATMOS Composer. It's pretty good and has a lot of potential, there are a few things that I would like improved in S1.

It is compatible with any DAW, you put an instance of "Beam" as an effect on each track you want to send to the composer. That bypasses the general DAW routing and sends the audio to the composer. The composer is put on the master bus as an FX. From inside the composer you can see all the instances of "beam."

One big inconvenience in "beam" and consequently composer is that each beam becomes effectively a "track" in the composer and has a name. Beam says it auto-populates the name with the name of the track you put it on, if the DAW communicates that information. Apparently S1 does not communicate that information as none of the tracks in the composer are named. So you have to manually go into each instance of Beam and put in the track name. With many track, it's a bit of a pain to go through and name them all.

Another tricky bit is that if you put it on your master bus, as suggested, even tracks that don't have beam installed on them actually get routed through the composer. But they don't get processed by the panning, that's all done with beam, but they do get the binaural headphone treatment in composer. To get around this, I found it's best to create a bus, send all the tracks you want to process to that bus and put composer on that bus.

The reason to do this, or at least my reason, was I wanted my standard mastered stereo mix on a track to flip back and forth to compare the DAC mix to the straight stereo mix. I don't want them to sound too different. You can import a mastered stereo mix to a track and have that track do directly to the main bus, that allows you to solo/mute the track to compare your ATMOS mix to your stereo mix.

But it works and works quite well. I am working towards a new release of material this year, I will now be able to include an ATMOS mix. YEA!

The Moderns,

25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2