163 postsPage 4 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9
Honestly I get zero crashes. Pretty sure it's environmental or plugins, but without actual full details we cannot tell.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by roland1 on Wed May 11, 2022 2:42 pm
Usually when there is a major bug in Studio One, we all know about it rather quickly. We may not know how or why it shows up — like the stuck MIDI note issue — but we can all confirm its existence.

The fact that 75-98.2% of us daily users of this DAW are not posting about constant crashes should prove that the problem doesn't exist for us, at least not in our everyday workflow.

That it exists for some suggests that it will likely be machine specific and may also be related to the quality of the interface and its drivers, the quality of the cables and MIDI controllers connected to the DAW and various others incidentals that we do not collectively share as part of our collective user experience.

So again, the solution is not to come here and suggest that Studio One sucks or is broken, which just gets everybody's back up because we have learned to stop saying it ourselves. :D

Broken RAM sticks, free plugins from some homeless wino in your neighborhood, cats secretly using your DAW while you're away at work — all of these can be contributing factors in a constant crash scenario.

More realistically, it may have to do with "paths" to software or samples on a disk that is set to fall sleep — or may be defective, or even plugins calling home or needing re-authorization. I had a brand new SSD that made my computer crash until I had it replaced with a new one.

There are so many things that can go wrong and I've only run into a few of them, thankfully. Currently, I'm using Studio One 5.52 on both a PC and a Mac (neither is particularly new) and neither of them crashes — although I did make Studio One 4.61 one crash yesterday through some simple though extensive series of key commands.

In short, this is why the earth is round and aliens refuse to talk to us. I hope that helps. :)

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by davidlarson6 on Thu May 12, 2022 8:34 am
There's a minor bug in the Score Editor. Slur markings are incorrectly drawn when using the "Duplicate" function.

It's easy to show the bug. Just load an instrument and enter a series of notes in a measure, and mark them with a slur starting from the first note. Then drag-select them all and "D"uplicate. The leading end of the slur mark will no longer be aligned with the first note in the duplicated measure.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by musicchamber on Fri May 13, 2022 3:08 am
davidlarson6 wroteThere's a minor bug in the Score Editor. Slur markings are incorrectly drawn when using the "Duplicate" function.

It's easy to show the bug. Just load an instrument and enter a series of notes in a measure, and mark them with a slur starting from the first note. Then drag-select them all and "D"uplicate. The leading end of the slur mark will no longer be aligned with the first note in the duplicated measure.

Confirmed. Have you reported this to Presonus Support?

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
roland1 wroteUsually when there is a major bug in Studio One, we all know about it rather quickly. We may not know how or why it shows up — like the stuck MIDI note issue — but we can all confirm its existence.

The fact that 75-98.2% of us daily users of this DAW are not posting about constant crashes should prove that the problem doesn't exist for us, at least not in our everyday workflow.

That it exists for some suggests that it will likely be machine specific and may also be related to the quality of the interface and its drivers, the quality of the cables and MIDI controllers connected to the DAW and various others incidentals that we do not collectively share as part of our collective user experience.

So again, the solution is not to come here and suggest that Studio One sucks or is broken, which just gets everybody's back up because we have learned to stop saying it ourselves. :D

Broken RAM sticks, free plugins from some homeless wino in your neighborhood, cats secretly using your DAW while you're away at work — all of these can be contributing factors in a constant crash scenario.

More realistically, it may have to do with "paths" to software or samples on a disk that is set to fall sleep — or may be defective, or even plugins calling home or needing re-authorization. I had a brand new SSD that made my computer crash until I had it replaced with a new one.

There are so many things that can go wrong and I've only run into a few of them, thankfully. Currently, I'm using Studio One 5.52 on both a PC and a Mac (neither is particularly new) and neither of them crashes — although I did make Studio One 4.61 one crash yesterday through some simple though extensive series of key commands.

In short, this is why the earth is round and aliens refuse to talk to us. I hope that helps. :)

No offense, but no, this is not helpful.

In my previous post I am just describing certain behavior which I did not happen before. I am not saying that studio one is broken or buggy or whatever - just stating my experience.

You could very well be right that this related to other software, hardware. or even aliens messing with me :)

But in general, I have to say that since 5.x.x I notice strange behavior. In the previous version MIDI events could not be duplicated anymore, before that copy/paste. Now it is this instability all of a sudden. I talk to other composers in my community and they have similar experiences, so its a bit easy to say its all machine specific.

But I am sure they will take care of it, as they did with other issues as well.

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by PreAl on Fri May 13, 2022 7:01 am
bastiaanmarcscholtemeijer wrote I talk to other composers in my community and they have similar experiences, so its a bit easy to say its all machine specific.

But I am sure they will take care of it, as they did with other issues as well.

It's not easy at all to jump to any conclusions for your specific instance, it's to vague so you should expect vague responses.

Start a new thread. This your full specs, supply full steps to reproduce, screenshots, error messages, much detail as possible....

BTW crashes when enabling/disabling tracks often points to audio interface device drivers. Try removing them, rebooting, and reinstalling/installing the latest drivers and firmware for your audio interface.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by davidlarson6 on Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 am
musicchamber wrote
davidlarson6 wroteThere's a minor bug in the Score Editor. Slur markings are incorrectly drawn when using the "Duplicate" function.

Confirmed. Have you reported this to Presonus Support?

I just did. :)

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by richardbaur on Fri May 13, 2022 2:41 pm
snb1 wroteNotes still get stuck using the qwerty keyboard as the midi input source with vst's. They don't get stuck when using the stock instruments however. I've been producing on a laptop ever since I bought it some months ago and needing the ability to use the qwerty keyboard to play the instruments has been the determining factor on deciding which daw I'll be using or whether I'll be making beats or not. I would love to see this fixed possibly in the next update.

yes this bug is annoying and has existed for a while now. i reported it over a year ago, still no fix.

also, pitch bend on vst2 plugins will not return to 0 no matter which midi controller used. another annoying bug that i reported over a year ago that they acknowledged but hasn't been fixed.
by Quietly on Sat May 14, 2022 10:49 am
I have mentioned previously crashes when dragging an FX onto a mixer track during play back. It started happening again and I raised a ticket. Shortly after that my steam driven PC started playing up with the lights on my Komplete Kontrol S61 turning off at random
I had recently updated windows so I thought I would go back to a previous restore point. The end result is my old PC never made it and threw up various Blue Sceens with differing codes on every attempt to boot
After almost 12 years of constant use it gasped its last breath. Suffice to say I informed support to regard the ticket as resolved. The specs are still there below and new PC arrives on Monday
In short it was not S1 that was crashing it was my old PC LOL

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
by Jemusic on Sun May 15, 2022 3:19 pm
It happens and is a very honest mistake. Computer power supplies can start to fail, not quickly, but slowly. As this happens it can manifest itself as random poor software behaviour. Going slow, freezing for short times, crashing etc. Things mostly work but these hiccups start appearing and then it gets real bad. I have upgraded and replaced with new power supplies in situations like this and the results are often amazing. Everything functioning as it should and fast. Freezes are rare etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by roland1 on Sun May 15, 2022 5:58 pm
I've always maintained that the first course of action when troubleshooting is to buy a new computer. :D

But seriously, I don't mean to dismiss anyone's audio problems because I've had enough of them myself over the years. However, it's important not to vent our frustrations at Studio One just as a kind of knee jerk reaction because people who don't use the software may visit here and think that Studio One alone is sh** — which it is not. Their inexperience in the field doesn't allow them to realize that all DAWs are sh**. :D

[Yet another deeply meaningful post, and all without a subscription fee.]

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by garyanderson5 on Wed May 18, 2022 4:23 pm
So i have just noticed something really bad in 5.5.2. If anyone could varify it that would be great before i send a ticket.

Ok the issue. If you use any plugin on an FX send that has low level noise etc from the emulation it is imprinting on every single track in the project on export. it's not a plugin causing it either as i tested multiple plugins. Same result on export with any plugin the fx channel bleads into every single track you export.

Example, I have 1 track with a send to fx channel. Put any plugin that has noise etc on the fx insert. Then make 5 or as many tracks as you want under neath blank tracks no data. Set a loop up say 16 bars. Export the tracks and bring them back in to S1. Now play the files back and look at the channel meters. The FX return is imprinting on every single track from the one Fx channel. It's bleading into every track export somehow.

You can see from the included picture below i am using radiator for the example on a single FX channel. The 5 blank exported stem tracks have zero audio as there a bounced loop from the blank tracks. So why is the FX channel imprinting any plugins built in noise etc on every single audio track in your project when you export. You can never hear it or see it on normal playback while working on a project. It doesn't show up until you export stems from Studio One.

Update. I checked and tested all the way back to 5.3.0 and it happens in every version down to 5.3.0. I never tried versions before 5.3.0. I checked Bus channels just incase and added another test pic below. As you can see using a bus channel as a send keeps it clean and works as expected. So if like me you can confirm this then for your sanity don't use FX channels there is something not right with them. Use Bus channels instead.

If anyone can confirm this it would be great as this is driving me nuts.

Cheers guys.

Attachments
Pic.PNG
Bus Pic.PNG

Windows Pro 11 22H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 2TB, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by roland1 on Wed May 18, 2022 10:23 pm
My first thought was the "console shaper" thing, (which adds bleed) but it's not being used. Then maybe an audio output being routed back into some fx channel. Long shots, of course. You have a listen channel. Not sure how that's routed, but I guess I would just mute everything but the source and the destination and see how that fairs.

I'm grasping at straws here, obviously. Maybe you're right and something is broken...

by garyanderson5 on Thu May 19, 2022 3:25 am
roland1 wroteMy first thought was the "console shaper" thing, (which adds bleed) but it's not being used. Then maybe an audio output being routed back into some fx channel. Long shots, of course. You have a listen channel. Not sure how that's routed, but I guess I would just mute everything but the source and the destination and see how that fairs.

I'm grasping at straws here, obviously. Maybe you're right and something is broken...

Further testing the listen bus and interface routing has nothing to do with it. I ran the same test in V4 and guess what, yeh it's exactly the same. I also found it happens with Track and channel stems on exports. It's solo safe that causes it. If you have solo safe enabled it bleeds the effect into every track you stem out tracks or channels. If you disable solo safe it's 100% clean as i would expect it to be.

Is this normal behaviour? Reason i ask is I have been using other Daw's for the last year or so and this could be something i have just forgot hence me asking here first rather than sending a ticket for no reason :) I did check the manual but nothing jumped out at me on this hence the confusion.

The worst part here that caught me out is it stacks. Full new project in and all my exported tracks where effected by the solo safe thing. For every FX or Bus channel you use with solo safe engaged that exibits any form of emulation noise it stacks, even on blank or unlinked tracks. Obviously Solo Safe is on by default. If you have ten FX or Bus channels with solo safe on it stacks on every stem export ten times unless you disable solo safe.

Still makes no sense to me why it imprints from solo safed channels on unlinked blank tracks that are bounced and exported as stems. Surely they should be 100% clean as there not linked in any shape or form.

Pic below showing it stacked on blank tracks with solo safe engaged. Then clean with Solo Safe off.

Attachments
Stacked.PNG
Solo Safe off.PNG

Windows Pro 11 22H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 2TB, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by roland1 on Thu May 19, 2022 8:34 am
Yeah, I figured it was an fx return thing — it looked too familiar.

So what's the solution — take everything off solo safe to mute everything but the selected track?

P.S. Radiator — was that the only plugin you used that added the "low level noise"?

by garyanderson5 on Thu May 19, 2022 10:54 am
roland1 wroteYeah, I figured it was an fx return thing — it looked too familiar.

So what's the solution — take everything off solo safe to mute everything but the selected track?

P.S. Radiator — was that the only plugin you used that added the "low level noise"?

Don't use solo safe at all when exporting tracks or channels as any plugin with an active send on a channel with solo safe enabled will spread\bleed into every track in your project regardless if it's connected to an FX Channel or BUS when you export stems. It's not present on playback while your working. I can't here it anyway and it doesn't register on your channels till you export stems and play them back.

If you use clean digital plugins you won't see it as they generate nothing. You need to use pre's or tape plugins, emulations of classic hardware etc. I tried about 10 plugins because i only use clean digital plugins for transparent clean up work. I use Nebula and Acoustica Audio most of the time so they always generate characteristics of the thing they emulate.

I used Radiator as an example but it was actually PSP Audio's EMT 2445 i noticed it on first. I used four different manufacture's plugins in the stack test above. The plugin you use makes no difference what so ever as long as you can see a small amount of signal on your meters the character of the plugin generates by default.

Maby it's by design i don't know as i havn't used S1 much at all after V4 to be honest.

by roland1 on Thu May 19, 2022 1:35 pm
I have the EMT 2445 plugin. Gonna test it when I have time. Being a reverb plugin, I figured it'd stay silent when passive. Never bothered to check for such leakage.

by garyanderson5 on Fri May 20, 2022 5:58 am
roland1 wroteI have the EMT 2445 plugin. Gonna test it when I have time. Being a reverb plugin, I figured it'd stay silent when passive. Never bothered to check for such leakage.

Anything that self generates some kind of low level character like the pic below works Roland. I added a basic song set up with the 2445 for you. You can use any plugin on the FX channel really as long as it generates some character noise. The project is blank no data, Just export stems with track option. Play the project back after it's brought the stems back in and you can see the low level noise from the FX channel has imprinted on every track while solo safe is engaged.

Yeh it's low level with one instance, but when you work at -18db and that bleed hits every track multiple times from multiple solo safed sends it all adds up. Not in a good way either. I hope it's just me and i have a problem or just forgot a specific work flow. Ive checked multiple export and stem tutorials and no one ever disable's or mentions disabling solo safe. Solo safe shouldn't have any impact on tracks not linked to the channel it's used on when you export IMO.

Attachments
Export Bleed Test.song
(2.71 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
hhh.PNG

by roland1 on Fri May 20, 2022 8:30 am
garyanderson5 wrote
Anything that self generates some kind of low level character like the pic below works Roland. I added a basic song set up with the 2445 for you. [snip]

Thanks for that. :) I just tested it and yup, there it is. noizzzzzzzze.

Last night I was working on my PC and noticed that BFD3 (when used as a multi instrument with separate outs) also leaves this signature noise floor. There were no send fx. But I could see the same tell-tale "hum" or whatever it is leaking onto all the tracks.

It's like that scene in Ghostbusters where the receptionist yells out "WE GOT ONE!" :D

I think that this may become a "thing" — one of those DAW issues that circumvents opinion and skill level because, hey — you can see it right there in front of your eyes.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd always noticed "something" loitering on my tracks, but never took much notice.

by garyanderson5 on Fri May 20, 2022 12:50 pm
roland1 wrote
garyanderson5 wrote
Anything that self generates some kind of low level character like the pic below works Roland. I added a basic song set up with the 2445 for you. [snip]

Thanks for that. :) I just tested it and yup, there it is. noizzzzzzzze.

Last night I was working on my PC and noticed that BFD3 (when used as a multi instrument with separate outs) also leaves this signature noise floor. There were no send fx. But I could see the same tell-tale "hum" or whatever it is leaking onto all the tracks.

It's like that scene in Ghostbusters where the receptionist yells out "WE GOT ONE!" :D

I think that this may become a "thing" — one of those DAW issues that circumvents opinion and skill level because, hey — you can see it right there in front of your eyes.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd always noticed "something" loitering on my tracks, but never took much notice.

Np Roland. I am not even sure how this wasn't brought up till now. It's in V4 as well. I mean just turn solo safe off and it's all good but it begs the question when people complained about there mixes sounding different after exporting if this had a hand in it. It's not great if you lather your channels in emulations linked to solo safe channels and export.

I am almost 100% sure it's only present on export it's not there on real time playback at least I can't hear it anyway. It also imprints into audio Mixdowns. Unlike track exports where it imprints on every track it only imprints once for each track with solo safe turned on.You can test it with the same project file i posted. Just add 30 blank tracks then export audio mixdown. You can see on playback the imprint level is identical to the one solo safed track with the PSP 2445 on it so it isn't spreading on Mixdowns. I never checked bounce options yet.

Main out only go's down to -60db so you wouldn't notice anything till your above that on the level meter.

163 postsPage 4 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9