163 postsPage 5 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
you said this only happens with plugins that have noise to begin with, right? so like a tape/vinyl plugin? i doubt most people would use those on fx channels since the noise would always be audible even when the tracks being sent aren't in use. these types of effects are almost always used as inserts which is why most people probably haven't noticed any issue for this long.

your behavior does sound like a bug, i'm just explaining why it wouldn't effect most people or be reported frequently if i understand correctly.

also, fx channels are seen by most people as kind of redundant/pointless when busses can do the same thing without limitations. this is another reason to just get rid of them completely.

curious does this bug occur on busses with solo safe enabled? (sorry if you already mentioned)
by roland1 on Fri May 20, 2022 3:21 pm
FYI, the PSP 2445 is a reverb plugin, so it's not supposed to generate noise of any kind on a track when no sound is being passed through it. But as the example S1 file shows...there it is.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by richardbaur on Fri May 20, 2022 4:04 pm
roland1 wroteFYI, the PSP 2445 is a reverb plugin, so it's not supposed to generate noise of any kind on a track when no sound is being passed through it. But as the example S1 file shows...there it is.

ah ok. i must have misunderstood something then. i don't have that specific plugin to test.. but assuming it's like most reverbs and not buggy itself, then yes it should be quiet . the other user said " You can use any plugin on the FX channel really as long as it generates some character noise. " so i assumed this plugin generated some noise. in which case it normally wouldn't be used as a send as there would always be some slight self generated noise.

also from what i understand of your back and forths on here that this only occurs on fx channels. i think studio one should just get rid of those completely tbh as i never saw a point to use them instead of busses and they just confused people with their existence. and now they're buggy on top of that
by garyanderson5 on Sat May 21, 2022 3:38 am
richardbaur wroteyou said this only happens with plugins that have noise to begin with, right? so like a tape/vinyl plugin? i doubt most people would use those on fx channels since the noise would always be audible even when the tracks being sent aren't in use. these types of effects are almost always used as inserts which is why most people probably haven't noticed any issue for this long.

your behavior does sound like a bug, i'm just explaining why it wouldn't effect most people or be reported frequently if i understand correctly.

also, fx channels are seen by most people as kind of redundant/pointless when busses can do the same thing without limitations. this is another reason to just get rid of them completely.

curious does this bug occur on busses with solo safe enabled? (sorry if you already mentioned)

I agree on the FX channels. I rarely use FX channels like you, mainly for the fact you can't send on to other channels. It was just by chance i noticed it on an FX channel because solo safe is engaged by default on FX channels. Bus channels do the exact same thing with solo safe on. It's solo safe that causes it not the channel. When solo safe is disabled on either an FX or BUS channel the stem export is perfect. Solo Safe enabled on either channel during export will bleed into every track you export.

If i have a 100% clean digital reverb patched into my SSL desk it doesn't mean the signal path will be clean through the desk before it hits the reverb. It's fairly common to colour cold digital plugins if your 100% in the box. You could have 20 analogue EQ'S on 20 channels on a 20 year old analogue or clean digital desk and every channel on there will sound different depending on age and how much every item in the chain was used or repaired at some stage. Hardware doesn't all age the same rate internally or externally. A peice of software never has these subtle differences it has to be emulated by developers or by the user in there signal chain.

Studio One shouldn't be bleeding into other tracks on export IMHO unless the MIX FX engine is engaged like in the example i gave where the imperfections come into play per channel.

Windows Pro 11 22H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 2TB, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by garyanderson5 on Sat May 21, 2022 3:57 am
roland1 wroteFYI, the PSP 2445 is a reverb plugin, so it's not supposed to generate noise of any kind on a track when no sound is being passed through it. But as the example S1 file shows...there it is.

Try adding 50db of gain to one empty file after it export's. It sounds horrid on the 2445. Even 1db on 30 tracks is 30db of unwanted what ever it is depending what you used with track export. If you turn the 100% wet down a bit on the 2445 the noise drops off Roland. I can only gather it's by design to add a little the more you gain through it. But as i mentioned the plugin used makes no odds as most channel strip emu's generate something anyway. :)

Windows Pro 11 22H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 2TB, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by richardbaur on Sat May 21, 2022 11:18 am
garyanderson5 wrote
richardbaur wroteyou said this only happens with plugins that have noise to begin with, right? so like a tape/vinyl plugin? i doubt most people would use those on fx channels since the noise would always be audible even when the tracks being sent aren't in use. these types of effects are almost always used as inserts which is why most people probably haven't noticed any issue for this long.

I agree on the FX channels. I rarely use FX channels like you, mainly for the fact you can't send on to other channels. It was just by chance i noticed it on an FX channel because solo safe is engaged by default on FX channels. Bus channels do the exact same thing with solo safe on. It's solo safe that causes it not the channel. When solo safe is disabled on either an FX or BUS channel the stem export is perfect. Solo Safe enabled on either channel during export will bleed into every track you export.

If i have a 100% clean digital reverb patched into my SSL desk it doesn't mean the signal path will be clean through the desk before it hits the reverb. It's fairly common to colour cold digital plugins if your 100% in the box. You could have 20 analogue EQ'S on 20 channels on a 20 year old analogue or clean digital desk and every channel on there will sound different depending on age and how much every item in the chain was used or repaired at some stage. Hardware doesn't all age the same rate internally or externally. A peice of software never has these subtle differences it has to be emulated by developers or by the user in there signal chain.

Studio One shouldn't be bleeding into other tracks on export IMHO unless the MIX FX engine is engaged like in the example i gave where the imperfections come into play per channel.

my argument was just that anything that has self generating noise such as a vinyl plugin(extreme example).. or a channel strip, or a colorful eq with built in noise/static.. is almost never used as a send effect. so if most people aren't doing it, then most people won't notice the bug. and the minority that do do this, are probably mostly using bus instead of fx which has solo safe turned off by default.

that being said..if someone wants to do those things, they shouldn't be limited by a bug.
by garyanderson5 on Sat May 21, 2022 6:56 pm
richardbaur wrote
garyanderson5 wrote

my argument was just that anything that has self generating noise such as a vinyl plugin(extreme example).. or a channel strip, or a colorful eq with built in noise/static.. is almost never used as a send effect. so if most people aren't doing it, then most people won't notice the bug. and the minority that do do this, are probably mostly using bus instead of fx which has solo safe turned off by default.

that being said..if someone wants to do those things, they shouldn't be limited by a bug.

"An old trick is saturating the fx returns. It helps the reverbs glue better with the rest of the music by making them thick and dark, getting rid of the digital harshness/graininess, which has the reputation of being the most responsible of sterile digital in-the-box mixes."

Saturated send technique's of various type's are used a lot more than you seem to think they are.The issue here is solo safe not anyone's workflow, production technique's or work arounds.

by richardbaur on Sat May 21, 2022 7:33 pm
I never said the problem was your workflow. I was saying why no one has mentioned or noticed this issue in years. I didn't disagree that it's a bug and should be fixed. But you seem to think it's much more common than it is. And the work around is super simple.
by roland1 on Thu May 26, 2022 1:39 pm
I'm going to assume that they captured impulse responses from the original hardware gear and tried to stay true to the original by capturing even the electronic hum that was being generated by maxing out the output gain.

That would make sense. Or, it's the spirits of the dead speaking through the plugin from another dimension. :)

[Later that day...]

"Prince? Is that you? Wait, let me add some predelay, so I can hear your transients better."

garyanderson5 wrote

Try adding 50db of gain to one empty file after it export's. It sounds horrid on the 2445. Even 1db on 30 tracks is 30db of unwanted what ever it is depending what you used with track export. If you turn the 100% wet down a bit on the 2445 the noise drops off Roland. I can only gather it's by design to add a little the more you gain through it. But as i mentioned the plugin used makes no odds as most channel strip emu's generate something anyway. :)

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by garyanderson5 on Thu May 26, 2022 2:25 pm
[quote="roland1"]I'm going to assume that they captured impulse responses from the original hardware gear and tried to stay true to the original by capturing even the electronic hum that was being generated by maxing out the output gain.

That would make sense. Or, it's the spirits of the dead speaking through the plugin from another dimension. :)

[Later that day...]

"Prince? Is that you? Wait, let me add some predelay, so I can hear your transients better."

LOL. Yeh that's about the crux of it with emulations. It's there on purpose unless it's a home brew version ofc. :)

by roland1 on Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:48 am
It wasn't Prince after all but my dead uncle pleading for a beer. Apparently it's pretty dry where he is. :) He also said that on a certain Tuesday in June the next update would be released.

by PreAl on Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:38 pm
So are we going to get a 5.5.3 soon with more bug fixes and performance improvements? I hope so.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Quietly on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:35 am
PreAl wroteSo are we going to get a 5.5.3 soon with more bug fixes and performance improvements? I hope so.

Is it me or is this taking a little longer than normal? :?

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
by PreAl on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:25 am
Longer length of time is usually a sign of an ongoing major point release. I fear the next release will be a 5.6.0 rather than a 5.5.3, but I have no real idea.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Quietly on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:37 am
PreAl wroteLonger length of time is usually a sign of an ongoing major point release. I fear the next release will be a 5.6.0 rather than a 5.5.3, but I have no real idea.

I hope its a good one and Fender put to bed any doubts we or I may have remembering the Gibson/Cakewalk fiasco. I was a long time user and owner of Hamer guitars and watched Fender buy them up and close them down. Not suggesting they would even consider doing that with Presonus but large companies are purely about numbers and the bigger they get the more impersonal they get. We shall see, fingers crossed. :roll:

Windows 11 64 Bit, Installed Ram 16 GB, DDR4 3600 MHz, 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400F @ 2.60GHz
by PreAl on Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:44 am
Quietly wrote
PreAl wroteLonger length of time is usually a sign of an ongoing major point release. I fear the next release will be a 5.6.0 rather than a 5.5.3, but I have no real idea.

I hope its a good one and Fender put to bed any doubts we or I may have remembering the Gibson/Cakewalk fiasco. I was a long time user and owner of Hamer guitars and watched Fender buy them up and close them down. Not suggesting they would even consider doing that with Presonus but large companies are purely about numbers and the bigger they get the more impersonal they get. We shall see, fingers crossed. :roll:

I'm noticing the opposite, Presonus support is communicating here more and more.

by Quietly on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:04 am
I didn't mention anything about me noticing anything and as to Presonus support being more active on here than before then I never noticed it LOL. Hope you are right. Onwards and upwards.

by bleedingdrone on Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:52 pm
So after all of these .releases, still no fix for a reported issue (August 2021) on Portal Cassette? Geez.
by roland1 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:40 am
bleedingdrone wroteSo after all of these .releases, still no fix for a reported issue (August 2021) on Portal Cassette? Geez.

"Portal Cassette"? I looked that up on Google. What the (horn blast) are you talking about? Is this some kind of a third party plugin that Presonus doesn't make? Or am I missing something?

by gottfriedbergmair on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 am
A cloud that runs entirely on a cassette recorder.
Very secure because it cannot be connected to a smartphone. :cry:

Win 10 64 i7-7K 32GB 2x M2, Studio One 6 Pro + Fat Channel XT Suite + Studio 192 + Eris E8 + FP2018 + ATOM+ATOM SQ; Keylab mk2 49, Lewitt 441 Flex, Zoom H5, Mackie 402-VLZ4; SW: Arturia V + FX, Melodyne 5 STUDIO, u-he Synths, TAL, Klanghelm, RX Std 10

163 postsPage 5 of 9
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9