7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Whenever I make a change to a mix, I save the Song file, open the corresponding project file and as expected, it asks me to update the mastering file before proceeding. Once I'm done with my project session, I save the project file. When I close my Song file however, Studio One prompts me to save the changes before closing, even though I haven't changed anything (as stated above, I had already saved the Song file before opening the project file). Why does Studio One do this?

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 6.0.1
Windows 11 Home Edition 64 bit
Rocket Lake Z590 Desktop PC with Intel i5-11600K processor @ 4.60 GHz / 32G RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 750
LG Full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive and HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Samples Drives, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
PreSonus 1824C Audio Interface
PreSonus Faderport 2018
PreSonus Studio Channel, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, KT-2A and 76-KT
Check out my website http://www.dlsmusic.net
by shanabit on Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:29 am
When it opens the Song for the Update Master File it is in fact doing a mixdown of the stereo out. Me thinks its saving that mixdown you just did to update the Project when you close the SONG
I may be wrong but that makes sense to me

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by Lokeyfly on Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:51 am
daniellesaux wroteWhenever I make a change to a mix, I save the Song file, open the corresponding project file and as expected, it asks me to update the mastering file before proceeding. Once I'm done with my project session, I save the project file. When I close my Song file however, Studio One prompts me to save the changes before closing, even though I haven't changed anything (as stated above, I had already saved the Song file before opening the project file). Why does Studio One do this?

The Save alert can happen with or without sending, or updating (performing the mixdown) to the Project page. Its a bit of an annoyance. You save to put a stamp on the fact the song is secure, now you update the song into Project. As it now alerted you to update (if the song is already in Project). Done. Now you close down. The song page then asks you to save (yikes). When that occurs, do not save. Because now you've just signaled Project to alert you you have a to update the next time you open it. 😆 A viscous cycle.

There are times the Song when closing won't alert you. It's one of those things where if you save, then ever so subtly retrigger the song's "Save" in the drop-down menu, by perhaps as resizing the timeline, re scaling, and so forth. It then wants to re save. When I'm at the end of a project and doing that so many times, I recall a way to avoid the notice, but I forget at the moment.

Bottom line, you're doing the right thing by saving first in the Song page first.

It's something Studio One has always done.

As an alternative to saving a song, but not alerting Project to update, simply Save As, with an alternate name like adding a suffix to indicate the level of the song. Then you can send to Project and replace or compare with the existing version. Just be careful that you have a newer version, because you've now bypassed Project alerting you that particular song needs updating.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by daniellesaux on Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:04 pm
Thanks for your replies. It is indeed an annoyance. I always second guess myself (did I change something?) At least I'm not the only one. I do like the synchronization between the Song and the Project though. Very slick!

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 6.0.1
Windows 11 Home Edition 64 bit
Rocket Lake Z590 Desktop PC with Intel i5-11600K processor @ 4.60 GHz / 32G RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 750
LG Full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive and HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Samples Drives, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
PreSonus 1824C Audio Interface
PreSonus Faderport 2018
PreSonus Studio Channel, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, KT-2A and 76-KT
Check out my website http://www.dlsmusic.net
by greg serrato on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:22 am
Hi,
I am currently mastering an album and ran into this issue as well. One song out of 13 was always asking me to update the file. Drove me nuts and burned a lot of time. When I went into the song to save it, I didn't realize the audio bend icon was engaged so I clicked it off. Once I did that the issue was gone. So, maybe it has something to do with the menu bar and what is active. The only icons I have engaged are the arrow tool and auto scroll. Anyway, just thought I'd share.
by SwitchBack on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:56 am
I think the ideal way to work with master files is to update the master from the song after making changes to that song, and then save it. That way the project will use the updated master automatically, without having to open the song.

The alternative method, to save and close the song after changes but without updating the master file will make a project using that song open it, update the master file, and close it without saving. Next time you open the song you'll have a save 'pending' for that master file update.
by tothrec on Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:00 pm
I think the key bug here is that Studio One sometimes marks the Song as "dirty" even though there have been no changes.

With that in mind, I prefer a slightly different workflow in which I Ctrl Shift U to update the mastering file right after I make and save my recent change.

Then I close the Song (or if I don't, I don't save again if prompted) and switch back to the Project (which will know that the master file is current).

HTH,

Steven

Steven Bell
Owner/Chief Engineer
Top of the Hill Studios
topofthehillstudios.com

ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Intel Core i7 12-core
32GB DDR5
SSD E.2 system and audio drives
Win11 Pro x64
(2) Lynx AES16e's and Aurora 16's