5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I wrote the notes of my midi bass part with the low E-string as E1, conform a piano layout. The notes sound correct next to recorded bass parts and are on the correct line of the staff in F. However, all the tabs are written an octave too high. C played and written on the staff, on the 3rd string, 3rd position, are on the tabs on the 1st string, 5th position.
How do I make the tabs convert the notes to the right positions?

Cheers!
Maarten
by davidlarson6 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:13 pm
Sounds like some kind of notation conflict. Bass parts in orchestral scores are normally written an octave higher than they sound, so something may be defaulting to that,

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by patrickviens on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:49 pm
maartenfranken1 wrote C played and written on the staff, on the 3rd string, 3rd position, are on the tabs on the 1st string, 5th position.
How do I make the tabs convert the notes to the right positions?

These are unisons, not octaves, and the way the tablature represent your notes is theoretically "correct" in your example. It is just not using the positions you want. But it would be nice if there was a way to tell S1 which string/position to use for fretted instruments.

Also, unless you write directly in the tablature view, the tablature tends to only use one string, as much as it can, for all pitches. It is possible to click and drag the tablature fret numbers to the string / position you want (for short parts....)

With my Ample Sound bass plugin, there is also a transposition issue, where E1, or the open Low E, is represented correctly in the tablature, but not in the Piano roll, where it appears as E0 (a legato key switch in this plugin).

Windows 10 64-bit
IntelCore i7-4700MQ @2.40GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT755M, MOTU Ultra-Lite MK3 Hybrid, IK Multimedia Axe I/O, Soundcraft Notepad 12FX Mixer/interface, MOTU Micro Lite Midi Interface, Studio One Professional 6.2.1
by elijahlove on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:16 pm
There's a work around for this. It's a little goofy but it works. A few things first. Middle C on an acoustic piano is 261.626 Hertz. There are different standards in MIDI as far as what notes at what Pitches get what names or values. If you create and instrument track in S1 and add a piano from Presence and then add a tuner to the track and play C3 in presence, it tunes to 261 hz. So this means it uses the C3 MIDI standard. If, however, you load "Contemporary Bass Finger Full" in Presence and then play C3 the tuner will read 131 Hz. Playing C4 show 261 in the tuner so we know the Bass in Presence uses the "C4" standard. If you load a Les Paul into Presence you'll discover that it matches the piano and is set to the "C3" standard.

Now for a work around...
1) Go into your Bass track using "Piano View", right click and select all the notes.
2) Using the "Action" drop down transpose all the notes -12 or down one octave.
3) Right click on the MIDI event for the Bass track and set the transpose up one octave to 12.
4) Go back into the Bass track and set it to "Score View" and select the appropriate "Apply Staff Preset" for your bass.
5) Using the "Transposition" drop down select "One Octave Lower"

This basically fools S1 into putting the bass tab in the same octave as the bass clef.

I suppose the fix would be to have a two separate transposition drop downs. One for the bass clef and one for the tab.

The only issue with this fix is that when in "Piano View", the note on the piano roll sound an octave off from the piano on the left if you play one of the keys.

Jah

Motherboard: MSI Z490
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 64GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
by benmclaughlin1 on Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:25 am
This solution works well if you want to get a double bass (which is written an octave higher than sounds) to the correct place on the score. Great solution Jah

elijahlove wroteThere's a work around for this. It's a little goofy but it works. A few things first. Middle C on an acoustic piano is 261.626 Hertz. There are different standards in MIDI as far as what notes at what Pitches get what names or values. If you create and instrument track in S1 and add a piano from Presence and then add a tuner to the track and play C3 in presence, it tunes to 261 hz. So this means it uses the C3 MIDI standard. If, however, you load "Contemporary Bass Finger Full" in Presence and then play C3 the tuner will read 131 Hz. Playing C4 show 261 in the tuner so we know the Bass in Presence uses the "C4" standard. If you load a Les Paul into Presence you'll discover that it matches the piano and is set to the "C3" standard.

Now for a work around...
1) Go into your Bass track using "Piano View", right click and select all the notes.
2) Using the "Action" drop down transpose all the notes -12 or down one octave.
3) Right click on the MIDI event for the Bass track and set the transpose up one octave to 12.
4) Go back into the Bass track and set it to "Score View" and select the appropriate "Apply Staff Preset" for your bass.
5) Using the "Transposition" drop down select "One Octave Lower"

This basically fools S1 into putting the bass tab in the same octave as the bass clef.

I suppose the fix would be to have a two separate transposition drop downs. One for the bass clef and one for the tab.

The only issue with this fix is that when in "Piano View", the note on the piano roll sound an octave off from the piano on the left if you play one of the keys.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1