9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, can anyone give me an insight on how to set up a simple multitrack session in Studio One 5? I'm using a studiolive 32sx desk and and all I'm looking to do is for Studio One 5 to capture each channel and to send all channels to a main LR mix. I was able to have this set up working very well on my old studiolive 16.0.2 but the 32sx is catching me out somewhere and I can't figure it out? Any help and guidance is much appreciated. Thanks!

Simple example of what I'm looking for: 4 mono vocal channels recorded individually and also being captured in a main mix. Post fade.
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

Both your 32SX mixer and Studio One are enormously flexible. In explaining how to set things up it would help to have an indication of your experience in digital audio recording in general and with PreSonus products in particular. Also, how is your system set up?: USB connection? PC or Mac? And what have you done so far to get to know your system?
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:39 pm
Actually you don't need to do much, because PreSonus delivers presets which you can use. You should zero out the mixer first (reset of projects, reset of scenes, reset of Digital Patching), then start Studio One and create a new song with the "StudioLive 32 Session" template. Then everything will be routed correctly and you're ready for recording.

Also check "Styles". There are nice recording scenarios for Studio One.

Attachments
NewSongInterfaces.jpg
by pauldonegan on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:47 pm
Appreciate very much your replies! Thank you kindly! I have a Mac set up and 32SX connected via USB. I've a good number of years experience with studio recordings, and a few using presonus equipment, so relatively new to presonus but big fan already! Problem is, my experience stops outside of live engineering or recording operating. I've never had to do the initial set up of desks and DAWs. in the past I've been in environments where that's already been set up and good to go.
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:04 pm
OK, with that experience you may be on your way with this rough step-by-step (also covering the points Wahler made):

- Install and launch UC
- Connect mixer and Mac via USB
- Reset mixer project, scene and digital patching
- Verify/change mixer sample rate to match your recording preferences
- Install and launch Studio One (S1)
- On the S1 start page select the Series III mixer as your Playback and Recording device
- Verify the interface’s sample rate (same as the mixer’s?)
- Create a new song:
--- From one of the 'Interfaces' templates: general setup, getting the I/O right
--- From one of the 'Styles' templates: more purposeful setup, may need some I/O tweaking
--- From 'Empty Song': do it all yourself
- Check/adjust the song’s initial settings (title, sample rate, resolution, timebase, length, …)
- Select ‘OK’
- Verify I/O configuration (does it match the default/current usb patching on the mixer?)

To verify the I/O settings click on the small I/O button on the S1 console (left of the faders). These Input and Output matrices sit between the interface's usb channels and S1's inputs and outputs. Often missed because in most of the other DAWs interface channels go 1:1 to the DAW inputs and outputs.

See if this helps :)
by pauldonegan on Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:00 am
Thanks for all the suggestions! I must be missing something very simple. I can capture each channel no problem. I just can't capture a Main LR. I clearly don't have something ticked somewhere?
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:16 am
The "StudioLive 32 Session" template has Main L/R already available and routed. The only thing you need to do is to change USB input routing from 37+38 to 39+40.

Attachments
39_40.JPG
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:55 am
Yeah, that's a mistake in the template.
by pauldonegan on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:42 am
I don't believe it. That was the issue. Thanks so much for the help!! Can't believe I missed that. Be well and thank you again!

9 posts
Page 1 of 1