9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm using Studio one 5 pro and I bought a Studiolive AR12c external mixer to avoid latency but I'm still getting it. I'm using windows 10 and I've got a quad processor with 16gb. I'm going straight in the computer via usb. I do have an audiobox 96, but that seemed redundant to use along with the mixer. I record mostly electronic music but have avoided guitar because of this. Thank you very much.
by SwitchBack on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:08 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

The AR mixers are analog mixers. They have zero latency from their analog inputs to their analog outputs. They also have a built-in usb interface that allows you to record all mixer channels (except the super channel) and return two stereo tracks from computer to the mixer too.
All this allows you to use the mixer to set up e.g. a monitor mix of a guitar and a microphone (on two mixer inputs), a stereo track played from S1 and a pleasant room effect from the mixer itself to sing and play along with the stereo track without any latency, and record mic and guitar in S1.
But don’t set up the monitor mix from S1 as it makes the mic and guitar signals go from mixer to computer and back to the mixer before they get to your monitor phones or speakers, with latency.

Hope that helps :)
by Jemusic on Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 pm
Agreed the zero latency monitor approach is a good way to go. But wouldn't the buffer settings within Studio One still apply to this mixer as well. Has the OP tried the lowest buffer settings with DP set to minimum.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:06 am
Sure, you could do that to get round trip latency as low as you can. But that’s not playing to the strengths of the gear at hand :)
by Tacman7 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:47 am
I used to use some hardware synths. I had an interface but not enough inputs to hear everything at once.

A 4 bus mixer is needed to get everything working. That and a 4 input interface.

With that combo you use a stereo pair for recording and one for monitoring.

So to record the roland I send it to the record bus and it gets recorded.

The other synths go to the monitor bus so you can hear what they're doing.

I like to work monitoring through the DAW, so I had to work with settings and computer to get latency down.

Eventually I bought a large interface so I could plug everything right into the interface and get rid of the mixer.

I never did much with a mixer, I wouldn't 'ride' the faders etc. so I don't miss the 'hands on' feel.
I thought I'd like a large control surface, but after I got one I realized I don't work that way and put it away. I have a similar path through most pro audio products. School of hard knocks they call it.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:52 am
The AR mixer is an analog mixer and multi-channel interface in one.
- Analog mixer = absolutely zero latency from inputs to outputs
- Integrated interface = all mixer inputs recordable without a big cable mess between mixer and interface

By creating the monitor mix in the DAW you may be able to get a low enough latency but it will never be zero. Even the more fancy PreSonus interfaces with built-in DSP mixer will have some latency due to the A/D and D/A conversion. So if you have an AR mixer for interface and need a low latency monitor mix then I definitely recommend using the AR mixer for that. You can't achieve any better, latency-wise.
by Tacman7 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:49 am
Right, I wasn't sure how many digital lines go into the computer, so if it has 4 then you wouldn't need an interface if you work in the box.

If it has all of it's strips show up in S1 then that would be really nice, mixers I remember were basically a usb port thrown onto a mixer so one stereo pair.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by SwitchBack on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:16 am
Yeah, the AR mixers are quite nice that way. E.g. the AR12 sends the main mix and 12 mixer inputs (mono channels 1-4 and stereo channels 5/6-11/12) as 14 channels to the computer, and allows you to return 4 channels (2x stereo to mixer channels 13/14 and 11/12). Nothing fancy, but as long as you don't need more than 2 stereo monitor mixes at the same time the AR mixers are are a good fit in entry level home studios :)
by Tacman7 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:46 am
Ok, got it, it has a 12 channel interface built in.

Says so in the description.

Ya that would solve a lot of routing problems I used to have.

There's a hardware forum where they may help you get your latency down:
viewforum.php?f=316

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1