6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi-

Did my first start to finish MIDI project in Studio One v5.5 today. overall went very well!! super stable, no crashes, and there was much to love about the workflow, especially sound variations and various little quantizing and note editing functions.

BUT this one thing kept tripping me up and it might be a deal breaker.

I'm accustomed to working in "cursor follows selection" mode... from mainly Pro Tools. The only thing is PT doesn't consider clicking on an automation node a selection, or drawing in CC data a selection, so my playback start point remains the same as I edit this data, unless I select a range and edit that way. S1 sees every little click of an automation node as a new selection and so my cursor is constantly moving as I edit cc data and volume, etc...

Is the only workaround to move in and out of this mode? I guess there is probably a shortcut for it, but that seems extreme as I'm always doing this. Or is there a better way? I'm imagining most S1 users leave this mode off and use other ways to move the cursor around. Anyway interested in any thoughts here. Thank you

Studio One v5.5
Pro Tools Ultimate, HDX1
Logic 10.6.2

Mac OS 10.15.7
128 GB RAM
Focusrite Red 8 Pre (thunderbolt mode for Studio One)
by Tacman7 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:31 pm
There's some settings like cursor follows edit position that you get to by clicking the wrench at the top of the arrange window.

Covered here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcUem3U8_LE

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by studioj on Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:45 pm
Tacman7 wroteThere's some settings like cursor follows edit position that you get to by clicking the wrench at the top of the arrange window.

Covered here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcUem3U8_LE

Right that's the mode I'm using, and asking about... its cool that I can use that, but the fact that S1 considers every click of an automation node a selection is making it difficult to use! So wondering if others find that difference to PT a challenge or if there is another way to think about it. Thank you-

Studio One v5.5
Pro Tools Ultimate, HDX1
Logic 10.6.2

Mac OS 10.15.7
128 GB RAM
by eaglepass on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 pm
Hi studioj,

I can't answer your question but I do know that Marcus Huyskens is currently doing a Free Series on YouTube and his website called "Studio One for Pro Tools Users".

I expect Marcus would be a good person to ask regarding your question.

eaglepass

Studio One 6 Pro | Notion 6 | latest versions
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 7700K | GeForce GT 1030
RME HDSP 9632 | FaderPort 16 | ATOM | Monitor Station V2 | Komplete Kontrol S61 MK II | etc.
by Tacman7 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 pm
studioj wrotebut the fact that S1 considers every click of an automation node a selection is

You mean because it moves the timeline when you click somewhere?

I seldom use that setting, I leave cursor follows edit position unchecked and that doesn't happen.

You can turn it back on when you're not doing automation if you like the way it works on other things.

All those options were meant to be accessed quickly or use shortcut keys.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by studioj on Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:50 pm
yeah love those YouTube vids from Marcus Huyskens! Looking forward to him doing more.
I have started to acclimate to working with this mode off, just will take time.
I do think it's smart of Pro Tools to ignore automation node clicking when in this mode, so that one can freely edit automation without the cursor jumping all over the place. I'm guessing Studio One added this mode to approximate this common way of working in Pro Tools but they missed this little detail I think. But anyway yes working with it unchecked and using other methods of navigating is probably best for studio one. thank u!

Studio One v5.5
Pro Tools Ultimate, HDX1
Logic 10.6.2

Mac OS 10.15.7
128 GB RAM

6 posts
Page 1 of 1