7 posts
Page 1 of 1
So my friend and I have started recording. We both use Studio One Pro and we both have Superior Drummer 3 as well as STL Tonality-Will Putney. I was at his house recording and we got a minute or so written and recorded then we exported stems and sent the files to my email address.
When i got home I opened studio one and dragged them into a new song and when I did it put all of the tracks we recorded. But it did not bring the plugins onto the channels. So even though we plugged the guitar directly into his interface and recorded then put the putney plugin on the track, when I open it at my house the guitar channel sounds correct (the sound of the plugin) but there isnt a plugin opened on the channel. So it didnt bring over my dry guitar take. With the Superior drummer 3 track it showed up in the channel but the plugin was nowhere to be seen on the track.

I was wanting to open the file then see the song exactly as it was at my friends house with the plugins on the track so I could edit them just as I was over there. What am I doing wrong here?

I have been google searching and nothing addresses this exact issue, i just keep seeing how to import and export stems.

Thanks
Chris
by Daw Stew on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:19 am
Hi Chris what you have done here is export the song so that all tracks with inserted plugins are rendered so that their sound is 'printed' onto the audio. That's why your friend received .WAV files that have the effected sound written into them.
by IanM5 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:22 am
chrisshaski wroteSo my friend and I have started recording. We both use Studio One Pro and we both have Superior Drummer 3 as well as STL Tonality-Will Putney. I was at his house recording and we got a minute or so written and recorded then we exported stems and sent the files to my email address.
When i got home I opened studio one and dragged them into a new song and when I did it put all of the tracks we recorded. But it did not bring the plugins onto the channels. So even though we plugged the guitar directly into his interface and recorded then put the putney plugin on the track, when I open it at my house the guitar channel sounds correct (the sound of the plugin) but there isnt a plugin opened on the channel. So it didnt bring over my dry guitar take. With the Superior drummer 3 track it showed up in the channel but the plugin was nowhere to be seen on the track.

I was wanting to open the file then see the song exactly as it was at my friends house with the plugins on the track so I could edit them just as I was over there. What am I doing wrong here?

I have been google searching and nothing addresses this exact issue, i just keep seeing how to import and export stems.

Thanks
Chris

You don't need to export stems for your task. Just save the song and take a copy of the whole folder.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by chrisshaski on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:40 pm
I appreciate both of your replies. My friend and I have both been playing guitar for around 25 years and are new to have a recording setup and doing things ourselves. Everything I was reading was saying to share projects with each other we had to export stems. I zipped the folder then created a gmail for us to use specifically for our projects. So I am waiting on him to get back to me on if it worked when he tries it. I really appreciate both of your help and time.

Thanks again
Chris
by Tacman7 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:34 pm
People been collaborating online for years.

It's not that important that every detail they see looks exactly like your DAW.

Main thing is getting a copy of your song or part. Easier to do that with audio then the fx is right etc.

That's why lot of collaboration is done with stems, very easy to do.

So I would send a song with no guitar in it, people can track to the mp3 and send you their mp3.

If you like it then they send you the wav file which can be compressed with monkey audio (free program) to save bandwidth sending it.

So you get the wav file and drop it in and it's like they were tracking in the next room.

Great place if you want to get into more collaboration:
https://www.musicianscollaboration.com/forum/index.php

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:05 pm
On the other hand, since you're both on S1 Pro, only using plugins that both of you own then by all means take the whole song home to work on. The reason you lost the plugins is because you started a new song from the raw tracks.

S1 saves the recorded raw tracks in the song's media folder and stores all the mixing and processing details in the .song file, including which plugin is used where and at what settings. When you start a new song from the media folder tracks or from stems alone then you're basically starting the mixing and processing from scratch. So next time copy the song's entire folder including the .song file and at home you can save it in the songs folder with the rest of your songs. Then double-click the .song file and it will open it in S1 exactly as it was over at your friend's :)

Otherwise, have a look at this video on how to create 'stems' with the plugins in them.
by shanabit on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:06 pm
What IanM5 said is the way to do this

"You don't need to export stems for your task. Just save the song and take a copy of the whole folder."

EXAMPLE:
1. I make a folder for my Song here and make sure everything is copied into that folder. Copy external media
2. Zip the folder and send it to my buddy.
3. He unzips it and opens it, does his thing and saves his changes
4. He zips it and sends it back to me, the WHOLE FOLDER. which contains everything.

*If he just wants me to put down say a piano track he may just send me a stereo file and I do my thing and send him that file

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013

7 posts
Page 1 of 1