12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm experimenting with a piano line that sounds great but it covers a lot of low end notes that I would like to assign to a MIDI bass instrument. I can select everything below a particular note and move that to a bass line easy enough but the attack and sustain of the notes don't fit the bass. Is there a way to tighten that up somehow? It may be wishful thinking, I'll attach files below (sounds rough).

Anyone try this? Suggestions?

full piano

piano split

bass

full piano.mp3
(300.09 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

piano split.mp3
(300.09 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

bass.mp3
(300.09 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
by Jemusic on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:53 pm
The bass sound cannot be controlled much in Midi. Are you feeding the bass notes to a different instrument? Its the bass synth that you are using that is the place to refine the bass sound itself.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by ryevick on Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:13 pm
Jemusic wroteThe bass sound cannot be controlled much in Midi. Are you feeding the bass notes to a different instrument? Its the bass synth that you are using that is the place to refine the bass sound itself.

Is there a bass instrument that does this easier than most? I'm using EZBass.
Last edited by ryevick on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Steve Carter on Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:15 pm
I don’t have EZ Bass but if it works in a similar fashion to Superior Drummer you could analyze your piano part in S1 to extract the chords then use EZ Bass to follow with bass patterns resembling your piano groove - would likely sound more authentic and possibly quicker than manipulating your piano line midi.

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by ryevick on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:13 pm
Steve Carter wroteyou could analyze your piano part in S1 to extract the chords then use EZ Bass to follow with bass patterns resembling your piano groove - would likely sound more authentic and possibly quicker than manipulating your piano line midi.

I'm not sure I'm following you. If I have the chords of the piano line, which I do, how is that going to make a quick bass line in EZBass? What I mean is, I have the chords but the piano isn't playing just chords, it's playing a melody through the chords which include individual notes. A quick bass line would be just playing the roots or lowest notes of the chords? If it's able to determine the scale your using (if that's the method) how would it account for inversions and harmony parts in the low end in relation to the chords?

Hopefully I'm completely missing what your saying and you can help me understand. :D
by ryevick on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:19 pm
I think I found what you mean! (Still learning)

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
by Lokeyfly on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:46 am
Just a thought, Ryevick. You wouldn't need Easy Bass, that is unless you wanted Easy Bass. You could split the Keyboard to control the one sound/instrument(s), while splitting the keys to handle the bass portion.

Just a suggestion is all.
There are so many possibilities. For example I have a 68' Fender P Bass. Sometimes, if I just want to use it in the context of playing keys and multi layered bass, I auto sample it in Sample One. The means is so incredibly quick to be in pitch on every key. It's literally play and go. I understand not everyone has a 68' Fender P, but if you have any guitar, you can play your E. A, D, and G strings each for a full octave. Drop the pitch, and yeeeooow! You'll have one mean bass to store for your needs. Btw Strats work well for a P Bass sound, and acoustic guitars work well for an acoustic stand up bass. Want some Jaco pitch variances, work that pitch wheel! A subtle, or vibrato feel is very convincing!

I'm sure a dedicated program is sweet, but you don't always have to solve with the wallet. ;)

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=29477
No matter what, enjoy!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by ryevick on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:45 pm
Lokeyfly wroteJust a thought, Ryevick. You wouldn't need Easy Bass, that is unless you wanted Easy Bass. You could split the Keyboard to control the one sound/instrument(s), while splitting the keys to handle the bass portion.

Just a suggestion is all.
There are so many possibilities. For example I have a 68' Fender P Bass. Sometimes, if I just want to use it in the context of playing keys and multi layered bass, I auto sample it in Sample One. The means is so incredibly quick to be in pitch on every key. It's literally play and go. I understand not everyone has a 68' Fender P, but if you have any guitar, you can play your E. A, D, and G strings each for a full octave. Drop the pitch, and yeeeooow! You'll have one mean bass to store for your needs. Btw Strats work well for a P Bass sound, and acoustic guitars work well for an acoustic stand up bass. Want some Jaco pitch variances, work that pitch wheel! A subtle, or vibrato feel is very convincing!

I'm sure a dedicated program is sweet, but you don't always have to solve with the wallet. ;)

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=29477
No matter what, enjoy!

In truth I'm just trying to figure out ways to mockup songs quickly and overcome how much I suck at music theory :lol:

I play several instruments but learned nearly all of them by ear. I have all of the instruments I require and they sound good when recorded. It's just a matter of weaving the music theory into it. It's really hard to explain. My head's getting in the way of my musical heart and soul.

As for auto sampling in Sample One... never heard of or tried it. I'll have to look into that but what the original issue I posted about would be for is mockup purposes only. I would in the end play the part myself on an actual bass, I don't own a a 68' Fender P Bass but I do own a 4 string PJ, 4 string fretless jazz, 5 string and 4 string acoustic. They sound pretty great when recorded.
by Tacman7 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:11 pm
You have to open EZkeys and EZbass at the same time and you can drag a chord progression to the place where you put chords in EZbass.

If you don't have EZkeys you can get the chords into EZbass by putting midi on the track and recording it into the plugin.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lokeyfly on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:24 am
Hi ryevick, Good to hear! I also play by ear, and while I tried different Avenues of training, they didnt last long. Its so much more fun to just explore from the ear, heart and soul. Reading certainly opens new doors of exploration as well. I do like the theory aspects though and much can be learned to sharpen ones skills.

I hope my suggestion simply offered some alternate thoughts and with those nice instruments you have, you may find some inspiring alternatives.

Here's a quick video on the sampling you can do in Sample One showing the auto sample feature. Notice how "Gate Record" will auto-slice to the next key, automatically.

phpBB [video]

EZ Bass and such should give you some useful alternatives. I'd hope they would be just that. Alternatives only. I'm not a fan, so I'll leave comments out. ; )

All the best!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by roland1 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:23 am
I didn't read all the posts here because...as an author, I don't do much reading. :D

But here's a thought based on what I know and understand of the situation:

The bass line that you're playing back seems to be:

a) legato
b) one octave BELOW the intended target note range
c) (a + b) = the soupy, muddy sound in your recording

Also, in the "select notes" dialogue, you can choose the lowest notes in any chord sequence or MIDI pattern to separate that part from the rest of the MIDI notes above it.

I don't know if any of this helped, but it made me feel good just to get it out of my system. :D

[re; "b" this has happened to me when translating audio bass to MIDI bass, and then it even triggers articulation changes in Presence bass if they're in that same range.]

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by klypeman on Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:11 pm
I ditto Tacman7 and Lokeyfly:
I really like to use the Toontrack EZBass for that purpose and gives me 99% of the Basslines like from example EZKeys or otherwise.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++

12 posts
Page 1 of 1