5 posts
Page 1 of 1
SOLUTION: when combining keyswitched and standalone articulations in EastWest Opus, make sure the first one you add to the instrument stack is standalone. Adding a keyswitched patch first causes sound variations to autopopulate and be uneditable.

Basically, I can't seem to combine keyswitching and non-keyswitching patches in an EastWest Opus instrument and use sound variations with that instrument.

I just got S1Pro 5 and I'm going about making presets for my EastWest libraries. I wanted to try using sound variations and that went fine with violins, by making a rack of articulation patches each assigned to a different MIDI channel, then having the sound variations' activation sequences simply change the MIDI channel to the one corresponding to the desired articulation.

Celli had more than 16 articulations I wanted to use (there's a maximum of 16 MIDI channels available in the instrument rack), so to work around that I put the celli keyswitching patch, which has 6 articulations, in the stack using MIDI channel 1, then used the remaining channels for all the other stand alone articulations I wanted. I would simply need to add a "note on + off" to the activation sequences of sound variations that were using channel 1.

However, what happened was that the keyswitching patch in the stack was recognized by sound variations and a set of variations was automatically populated based only on that one patch, with no apparent way to add or remove variations. Removing the keyswitching patch from the stack made it possible to freely edit variations again, but then I was back to the problem of not enough MIDI channels.

I tried to work around this by loading the violins variations preset, which seemed to work as I was then able to edit that preset to the celli articulations and then save as a new sound variations preset for celli. This worked just fine until I tried to load the preset (along with the celli instrument preset with the aforementioned stack) in a new file. Then the instrument was stuck on whichever articulation was last switched to in the keyswitching patch and the variations were once again uneditable (it was still the variations I had made, they just couldn't be activated). The same thing happened when I closed and reopened the first file that the presets had been built within.

I'm new to S1 so I don't know whether there's some easy fix to this or if it's actually an issue with the Opus engine or what.

Thanks for reading all of this! Hope you can help!
Last edited by jacobbillings1 on Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Tacman7 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:37 am
Welcome to the Forum!

You jumped into sound variations in a big way!

Did you turn on MPE for your controller? When you create the controller device there's an MPE check box there, then also these on your plugin instances:
Enable MPE.jpg

When you play an expression/SV and you want to play another expression to another note, MPE will use different channels as needed to avoid one expression cutting off the sound of the previous expression.

That happens automatically somehow, I've not seen any setup involving assigning expressions to midi channels.

Watch through this vid, or skip through, some big concepts in there and he takes it slow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGCF-5ezUbo&t=10s

Lot of info in his S1 vids:
https://www.youtube.com/c/jazzundso

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by davidlarson6 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:46 am
When I was using EastWest libraries, I found that I needed separate instances of the player for keyswitched and non-keyswitched tracks, in order to make it work. That was with the older Play version, so maybe there's a different trick available with Opus.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by jacobbillings1 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:11 pm
Thanks, folks! I think my best solution is probably to just have separate tracks with sound variations for longs, shorts, effects, etc., or even just separate tracks for every articulation. Transferring notes between MIDI tracks is 100 times simpler and smoother than in Reaper so that's pretty acceptable.
by frank.crow on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:29 pm
Thanks for this😀

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)