2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I received an Arturia MiniLab mkII this week and I was very excited to hook it up with Studio One 5. My plan was to use the endless encoders to adjust plugins (especially EQs and compressors) without having to look at the screen, therefore putting the focus on my ears instead of my eyes.

For that reason, using the default Absolute mode (or even pick-up mode if it was available) with the values possibly jumping when turning a knob was not an exciting option. Thanks to all the information I found on this forum, I was able to get things mostly working in Relative mode.

By settings my knobs to Relative #2 in the Arturia Midi Control Center (so turning counter-clockwise sends 1, 2 or 3 and turning clockwise sends 127, 126, 125, depending on the speed) and using the following values in the Surface XML file, things mostly work:

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ControlSurface>
   <Controls>
      <Control name="controlb0070" title="Knob1" type="relative" options="receive public">
         <MidiMessage status="#B0" channel="0" address="#70" options="complement plain"/>
      </Control>
   </Controls>
</ControlSurface>

My problem is that turning counter-clockwise actually now makes much bigger increments than when in Absolute mode, which is not very practical but still usable. It gets worse when turning clockwise however, where I need to be turning fast enough to send 2 as a value because 1 (which is sent when turning very slowly) seems to be ignored by Studio One.

Other DAWs such as Ableton Live, Bitwig, and Reaper are able to interpret this value correctly. However, everything is configured in the UI as opposed to being configured manually in an XML file like here in Studio One. The most interesting clue is in Live, which offers a Linear option, which is the one I need to select for things to work well (Lin. BinOffset to be precise). My understanding is that Linear here means that they ignore the acceleration of the Midi device (so either 1, 2, or 3 are seen as the same value and mean decrement for instance).

Would anyone happen to know if something along the lines of Linear exists for the MidiMessage options? I tried linear, lin, bin, binary, and offset to no avail. I try to remain optimistic that there is a value that can make my controller work perfectly with Studio One.

Thank you very much in advance!
by stevedaymusic on Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:37 pm
Bump - you didn't get any replies but I also wanted to check in with you (OP) to ask how you got the encoders to turn in both directions. When I use Relative #2, the encoder only turns counter-clockwise and cannot be turned in both directions.

2 posts
Page 1 of 1