121 postsPage 1 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
So this is a fun thread to start the new year with, trying to pick everyone’s brain about what to expect this year as I personally have high hopes regarding fixing and adding new long awaited features in S1 ,specially with that recent acquisition , I am not really sure what to expect..

To fire off this thread here are the big questions..

-Do you think next update will be a 5.5 update or a 6.0? And when?

- In case of 5.5 what realistic features (not wishlist) do you think they will add? and same question if it’s 6.0

Very curious to know what everyone thinks..

Happy new year everyone!

DAW: Studio One Professional 5 | OS: MacOs 11.6 |PC:MacPro (2019) 3.3 GHz 12-Core, RAM:112 Gb | Audio Interface: Antelope Goliath | Monitoring: Barefoot MM12
by jonhamilton2 on Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:00 pm
I sure hope it has an updated browser with the ability to tag our plugins and samples.

Cpu:Win11/Intel Core i9-12900K/32GB/AMD Radeon 580
Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Hardware: BAE 1073MPF/Heritage Audio Successor+Symph EQ
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
Pedals: UAFX/Meris LVX + MercuryX
DAW: S1 v6 Latest version
by Bub on Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:55 pm
1. Better sounding audio time stretching.
2. Better browser organization abilities.
3. Update Macro's so they work better and do more.
4. Improve drawing envelopes with the draw tool.
5. Better metering options on tracks, buses, and the master to include more current standards. (K and LUFS etc. etc..).
6. Better metering options on the Limiter.
7. Revamp the 'Pro EQ', again. They made it worse last time. It's not laid out logically and not easy to use compared to other EQ's.
8. Fix the 666 error problem that randomly blows out your ear drums and locks up S1 for love of God. It's been 12 years and people are still reporting it on the forum and to tech support and their ear doctors.
9. Make it so you can press Play/Stop while adjusting controls in VST's like almost every 3rd party VST is capable of, even when used in S1.
10. Make it so you can set a reminder pop-up message every 30 days requiring you to check a box to confirm reactivation of Sphere, rather than forcing it to auto-renew and not telling you and making you jump through hoops to find where to cancel your membership after you forgot you wanted to cancel 3 months prior. IOW make it customer friendly, not corporate friendly.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by Vocalpoint on Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:08 pm
2022 will most certainly see Studio one v5.5 - probably in early spring if history serves (somewhere in April/May).

And as usual - it will bring a truckload of new features and fixes.

I am still holding out hope of seeing my one and only feature request finally arrive - proper S1 intergration with iZotope RX.

6.0 would be a stretch in 2022 - but then again Presonus usually does release a new major version somewhere around 18-20 months after the last one. v5 hit in July 2020...which makes it 18 months right now?

Always exciting to see what they have planned.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by hassanelshafei on Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:17 am
Well I agree with Jon and Bub about the browser and the ability to tag files, that's crucial for me and I have been trying to use third party software to help me with that already, seeing that as a built in feature in S1 would be golden.

@Vocalpoint you certainly have a point but it's tricky I would say.. I think a 1.0 update is due around this summer if not before following their past records but if that's the case I think it would be odd for them to go silent for 6 months with simple bug fixes 0.01 updates and if they release a 5.5 update in April as you mentioned , that means we wouldn't see a 6.0 update till at least end of 2022 if not 2023 which will make it the longest period for a 1.0 update.

I am not sure what to expect but either way I certainly want and encourage them to strengthen their current features and update them before introducing some crazy new ones.. For example Sample One and Impact need some love, they are below average when you compare them to Ableton for instance, very limiting.

I also agree that metering needs some polishing at least from a visual stand point, I think blue meters are very dull.

My biggest worry is that they leave such features as is and invest their time in stuff like show page etc.. which is great don't get me wrong but I only think that changes need to take place according to a reasonable priority chain, if this makes any sense..

DAW: Studio One Professional 5 | OS: MacOs 11.6 |PC:MacPro (2019) 3.3 GHz 12-Core, RAM:112 Gb | Audio Interface: Antelope Goliath | Monitoring: Barefoot MM12
by Vocalpoint on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:14 am
hassanelshafei wroteMy biggest worry is that they leave such features as is and invest their time in stuff like show page etc.. which is great don't get me wrong but I only think that changes need to take place according to a reasonable priority chain, if this makes any sense..

+1. The whole Show page thing still makes zero sense to me. This module "might" have had a future back when live shows were a thing but as we have seen (and continue to see) - the pandemic has forever altered any concept of going to (or performing in) a live venue and until we really get this thing under control - I see no utility whatsoever in using time, talent and resource to keeping adding stuff like this to S1.

Presonus needs to take some time and get bugs fixed, get the basics and advanced toolsets fortified and focus on stability and maturity of the platform - at least for the 5.5 release.

For us Guitarists - they should probably decide if Ampire is actually worth doing or not. And I totally agree on Sample One and Impact - it's time for an overhaul.

We all know that nothing will matter in this regard for the 6.0 release which will all be focused squarely on new features that most of us will not need nor asked for.

Regarding the schedule - I am hoping we get 5.5 WAY before April. If we do - maybe there really is a 6.0 in the future around May or so....

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by davidlarson6 on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:46 am
For the hypothetical 5.5, I hope to see them polish up the changes and improvements we've seen in 5.x so far, rather than introducing new stuff. For instance, the improvement of the scoring editor and introduction of sound variations are great so far, but incomplete (the score editor does not yet work properly with dynamics automation, for example.) It's not so much that I'm wishing for new function, as that I'm hoping for completion of what's been started.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by Vocalpoint on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am
I am also hoping that Presonus checks out the Batch Audio Converter and makes a few updates there too - there a number of critical bugs that have popped up with S1 v5 - especially the fact you can not longer drag and drop EFX modules to change their order etc.

VP

by Bub on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:24 am
Vocalpoint wrote+1. The whole Show page thing still makes zero sense to me. This module "might" have had a future back when live shows were a thing but as we have seen (and continue to see) - the pandemic has forever altered any concept of going to (or performing in) a live venue and until we really get this thing under control - I see no utility whatsoever in using time, talent and resource to keeping adding stuff like this to S1.

VP

I agree 100%.

Even when large venue's were hopping regularly I never saw a practical use for it. Live music is coming back in smaller places but the guys I know are doing their own backing tracks and have a system set up already. There's far less risk in having your laptop or iPad playing a track list through it's media player of your wav or mp3 backing tracks out the embedded audio port in to a mixer than there is having to deal with setting up your DAW and everything that goes with that before every show. I could never enjoy myself because I'd be worried about something crashing on my DAW.

I see absolutely no use for it in a home or professional recording studio environment. If they wanted to do something like this they could have made it it's own piece of software that you could optionally integrate like Notion or Melodyne and charge those people for it. Once again I feel like I'm being charged to be a beta tester for something I'd venture to say the vast majority of users will never use.

I do think it's a great idea for those who would have a need for it and I'm not putting down the concept of the Show page. I just personally don't see it's place in home/pro recording software which is what S1 is.

All the loyal users who pay to upgrade every release ever ask for is to make things more stable, what's there more logical and easier to use, stay current with things like ARA and the latest VST version support, and in S1's case add more in depth MIDI support, then add more bloatware. But that never seems to happen.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by j0001s on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:10 am
I'm glad the Show Page is there. It's missing a handful of features that I know are on the wishlist already. I fall into the category that's using support tracks off an IPad for restaurant gigs, but for larger full band gigs (when/if they come back), I'll probably move to Show Page.

But I'm not really the main audience for Show Page. It's for those that are making loop/sample/synth based music that want to play live. Giving them a platform to move from raw tracks to live does make as much sense to me as having the Project page for mixers.

My wish list for tracking and mixing functions is pretty small - can't say that there any "musts" for me. However, the S1 team has a habit of surprising me and introducing features that I didn't think of that become indispensable for me. Now that Midi 2.0 has been improved, perhaps full support of it will be forthcoming.

One enhancement that I'd like to see is the ability to have Mix FX post amp/cab simulators on the channel. If I'm recording DI guitars, I can't use Mix FX unless I render the guitars first or do some other workaround.
by graytermedia on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53 pm
I have high hopes for the next version. As a Post mixer and music maker, I want a lot of the things others have listed. The biggest for me is ARA Izotope RX integration. I'd love to move more of my Post work over to S1 from Pro Tools, but until that happens, I'll be a happy hybrid user.

S1 provides a wonderful playground for midi/VI composition and song arrangement (I can't live without the Chord track), but as soon as the idea is locked and printed as audio, everything moves to Pro Tools for all the final "production stuff" (editing, sweetening and/or mixing).

I would welcome improvements, but everything is working fine for me with my current workflow. For now, I use other DAW's to fill in the missing gaps (Reaper is spectacular for sound design btw), and there's nothing wrong with being a multi-DAW user if you're willing to invest the time.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by ericma2 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:54 pm
I hope they figured out a better implementation for Aux/Bus automation. It's like no man's land where all the lanes gets thrown into a header and S1 doesn't automatically label the sends or which plugin a parameter belongs to. I've since created folders for Aux/Bus automation lanes to better organize them.
I also really hope that they allow us to move VSTi multi-out return aux tracks (individual, not the whole group) and VCA faders wherever we like.
Wishful thinking: Eucon support. I'd love to get a PreSonus Faderport 8/16 but them not having rotary encoders for each channel and the display is a no go for right now. Hoping there'll be an mk2 soon.

2013 Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core 64 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Pro Tools 21.12 <- Finally left Pro Tools - THANKS S1!!!!
Euphonix Artist Mix firmware 1.5.6.0
Eucon v4.8.3
by ericma2 on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:55 pm
graytermedia wroteI have high hopes for the next version. As a Post mixer and music maker, I want a lot of the things others have listed. The biggest for me is ARA Izotope RX integration. I'd love to move more of my Post work over to S1 from Pro Tools, but until that happens, I'll be a happy hybrid user.

S1 provides a wonderful playground for midi/VI composition and song arrangement (I can't live without the Chord track), but as soon as the idea is locked and printed as audio, everything moves to Pro Tools for all the final "production stuff" (editing, sweetening and/or mixing).

I would welcome improvements, but everything is working fine for me with my current workflow. For now, I use other DAW's to fill in the missing gaps (Reaper is spectacular for sound design btw), and there's nothing wrong with being a multi-DAW user if you're willing to invest the time.

tg

Hey! I used to do the same thing. Arrange in S1 and stem out to Pro Tools!

2013 Mac Pro Trashcan 8 Core 64 GB Ram
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
Studio One 6.5.2
Pro Tools 21.12 <- Finally left Pro Tools - THANKS S1!!!!
Euphonix Artist Mix firmware 1.5.6.0
Eucon v4.8.3
by IanM5 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:49 am
I don't know what to expect from 5.5 or 6.0 but, for me to buy it, it has to be more relevant to my needs and wants than 5.0 was!

My number one hope would be for a version of Ableton's Session view, with clip launching etc. I know Logic have recently added something along those lines. Session view is the only reason I ever fire up Ableton Live.

A cleaner way of using VSTs that generate MIDI would be nice too (eg: Scaler 2). The current method works but is a bit clunky. Maybe we could just drag a MIDI VST into the Note Fx slot or something?

Other stuff: Support for lyrics, More chord options (inversions and alternative voicings), A few more Note Fx plugins (look at Reason's players for ideas!)

Hehe I could go on for hours... :D
Last edited by IanM5 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by j0001s on Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:15 am
graytermedia wroteI have high hopes for the next version. As a Post mixer and music maker, I want a lot of the things others have listed. The biggest for me is ARA Izotope RX integration. I'd love to move more of my Post work over to S1 from Pro Tools, but until that happens, I'll be a happy hybrid user.

tg

Just want to be clear. Are you saying that the RX ARA support isn't compatible with Studio One's ARA support? Given that Presonus partnered with Melodyne to create the ARA standard (which Izotope mentions on their site), I find that surprising, and would consider it a bug if it didn't work.

As far as workflow goes, is it familiarity and muscle memory with Pro Tools that takes you back for editing and mixing (I can respect that), or are their specific workflow features missing in S1?
by graytermedia on Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:44 pm
j0001s wrote

Just want to be clear. Are you saying that the RX ARA support isn't compatible with Studio One's ARA support? Given that Presonus partnered with Melodyne to create the ARA standard (which Izotope mentions on their site), I find that surprising, and would consider it a bug if it didn't work.

As far as workflow goes, is it familiarity and muscle memory with Pro Tools that takes you back for editing and mixing (I can respect that), or are their specific workflow features missing in S1?

Izotope isn't ARA ready yet for any DAW. Hopefully soon. It been in development for a while, so I'm not holding my breath. Although Izotope literally just teased it in an email blast today.

Currently, the RX suite of plugins work best in Pro Tools via Audio Suite (when combined with track playlists) and Nuendo's DOP (Direct Offline Processing) which is Steinberg's version of Audio Suite. Both allow direct access to the file, but its clunky and nowhere near as elegant as ARA.

As for my Pro Tools use, I work at a broadcast facility and we're an Avid (PT)/Adobe (Premiere) house. I'm in PT 8 to 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Other than Nuendo, there's no other DAW on the market that has the features a Post house needs:

- Multiple time rulers (with multiple timecode readouts for pulldowns and pull-ups)

- Multiple video tracks - we can get a show in chunks, segments, or reels, each with it's own video reference file. The DAW needs to be able to play multiple tracks of video.

- Video output to BlackMagic and AJA cards for client monitors, color grading monitors, etc. Both PT and Nuendo have this feature. I've been begging the Reaper devs to add it.

- Multiple Marker Tracks - Nuendo offers these. I can have a marker track just for dialogue edits, one for music cues, one for SFX, etc.

- Spotting clips (of any variety) to a specific timecode location. For example, I can bring in a music cue or SFX and upon import, I can spot it to land @ 01:03:34:20.

- Subframe edits. Important for dialogue editing. Studio One supports seconds, samples, bars and frames, but not subframes.

- Pro Tools offers IMO the best routing of any DAW (Reaper is a close 2nd). Tracks and busses can have multiple outputs which I need to make stems for Dialogue, Music, Effects (M&E mixes), Ambience and mono down-mixes. Example: all of my dialogue tracks go to a bus. I can route that bus directly to a stem track, a metering bus and my master simultaneously - all without using sends.

I could go on, but Pro Tools and Nuendo are the only two programs that offer these features and cater to the broadcast and film worlds. Studio One is an incredible DAW for music, podcasting and live recording, but it's not even close to being a post production tool. I'd love to eventually be proven wrong on that, but as of now, no one is mixing a Marvel film on S1, Ableton or Reaper. On the other hand, Pro Tools (and Nuendo in Europe) account for the majority of the final audio you hear on the big and small screen.

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by j0001s on Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:14 pm
Thanks, graytermedia for the through reply.

When I googled Izotope RX, it showed that it had ARA support - possibly not for all modules?

Even in my non-post world, I would like the multiple timeline and multiple marker tracks.
by barrywitt on Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:08 pm
hassanelshafei wrote,specially with that recent acquisition , I am not really sure what to expect

Well, I was a lifelong Cakewalk user when Gibson bought them out. They sold everyone a lifetime upgrade option and then killed the software shortly there after. That is how I ended up with Studio One.
Now that Fender has purchased Presonus, I'm shaking in my boots.

Crankin' out the tone

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming MB with AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU 64GB RAM Windows 10 Pro, StudioLive 32SX, Studio One 6.0 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, AB763 Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC15, Marshall 18 Watt, AA1164 Princeton Reverb, Marshall JVM2000 DSL401, Original Fender Cyber Twin, BadCat Cougar, Fender Rumble 100, Fender 2003 AMDlx Strat, Fender 2004 HH Strat, Dean Hardtail, G&L ASAT Classic, Aria Pro PE-ANNIV, , Alvarez Dana II, Kramer Focus 3000, Fender Active Jazz Bass, Blueridge BR-180A, Alvarez Yairi DY-46, 1996 Ovation Balladeer, 1995 Epi Dot, 2021 Epi 1959 Les Paul Standard.
by kisnou on Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:12 am
I'm pretty sure 5.5 is closer than you think. It's been a while since the last update, we expected 5.5 already a few months ago and they gave us 5.4, so I'm pretty sure the next update is going to be 5.5.

However, one thing that I'm truly hoping for is an indipendent scaling of Studio One, so not linked to Windows' scaling options.
Plus, I use Windows with custom scalings and the playback cursor is completely and always bugged with those custom settings. It's painful and annoying, sometimes the playback cursor disappears completely, so I have now got a new skill for my linkedin profile:
I produce without the playback cursor. 8-)

Aaaand yes, I'd like to see improvements of the current features rather than new stuff (yeah I'm looking at you Smart Tool :x ).
The Inspector and Browser need a lot of improvements (allowing us to remove tabs like Loops/Cloud/Shop)..
The stock plugins can be improved, I admit I don't use 90% of them at the moment (coming from Ableton, you will understand me). SampleOne needs a lot of help, same for Impact XT. Note FX are still useless for me and we cannot use third party VSTs as MIDI FX (or Note FX, whatever you want to call it).

The show page.. I never use it, I have Ableton for that. If I had to choose between keeping+improving the Showpage and getting rid of it, I'd honestly get rid of it and focus on the true important things: producing/composing, mixing and mastering.

EDIT: An example of a new feature that really F'd up my workflow: The Smart Tool. I would love an option to enable/disable the Smart Tool. I really don't like that, you need to be way too precise to use that thing properly. My solution was to just stop editing midi at high zoom levels :thumbdown:
Last edited by kisnou on Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by kisnou on Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:16 am
IanM5 wroteA cleaner way of using VSTs that generate MIDI would be nice too (eg: Scaler 2). The current method works but is a bit clunky. Maybe we could just drag a MIDI VST into the Note Fx slot or something?
A few more Note Fx plugins (look at Reason's players for ideas!)

Really agree with you on this. I would also like to see the possibility to use third party MIDI VSTs as note FX, It would be very handy, not only for Scaler. :thumbup:

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator

121 postsPage 1 of 7
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7