6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey, studio one users,

Just got maschine mk3 a couple weeks ago. I tried routing it in a few DAWs how I thought I’d want it routed. I was pleased to find out once I set up the routing in the plugin and saved it as the default plugin template, that studio one was a breeze and only took a few mins to set up.

Though as per usual how I thought I’d like it setup turns out to be almost perfect, but still lacking.

A little backstory that no one cares about. I’m a truck driver and despite the annoyance. I still try to make music when I’m on the road. So the key for me is. Less is better. So I thought the maschine will be great because it can kill two birds with one stone, an audio interface and a device for making music.

Here’s my problem and maybe someone knows of a solution. I’ve found a workaround, but maybe there is a better one.

I’d like to use the keyboard/chords feature on synths and samplers outside the maschine plugin.

I’m not sure if I can still use maschine in plugin mode, but switch to midi control surface and back without issues (haven’t tried it, but I’m assuming doing that, I’ll lose function of the keyboard/chords feature since I’m assuming that is tied to the plug-in since the maschine hardware is just a controller that’s just heavily tied to the software.

The only workaround that I could come up with in my small brain, is to use a pad I’m not using. Load up a synth on that pad, pick a sound that is kind of what I’m going for. Record that midi into studio one and then just drag the midi to a synth that I’m planning on using.

So if anybody has an idea if it’s possible or a better workaround and I’m all ears.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
by ryanm1 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am
There's a few videos showing how to do it. But keep in mind you have to turn low latency (green Z) monitoring in Studio One off, and just use a lower drop out protection if you need lower latency.

I hate using Maschine as a plug in, it's not really taking advantage of what Maschine can do. I make my beats in Maschine standalone then export WAVs to the daw for mixing/vocals/mastering.
by darkmaer on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:27 pm
Cool thanks.

Yeah, I'm still going back and forth and also learning machine and how to use it efficiently and just see how I like to use it.
I can definitely see where using it as a plugin can slow down and hamper maschine’s capabilities.
by christophergore on Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:31 am
I'm still so confused by trying to use maschine I'm thinking of selling it. I have it working as a plug in, but when I hit record and play anything it doesn't record. I know it's kind of outdated, but I'd love to be able to use it more. It seems to have good sounds. I haven't even started learning the actual stand alone. Any help appreciated, I'm using Studio one 5 pro.
by lawajava on Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:39 pm
christophergore wroteI'm still so confused by trying to use maschine I'm thinking of selling it. I have it working as a plug in, but when I hit record and play anything it doesn't record. I know it's kind of outdated, but I'd love to be able to use it more. It seems to have good sounds. I haven't even started learning the actual stand alone. Any help appreciated, I'm using Studio one 5 pro.

Chris I'm someone who wants to up-skill in this area as well. Wouldn't mind trading notes and encouraging each other on what we find. I made some headway in one of my pushes to learn it previously and created some helpful starter Studio One 5 songs and Machine templates. Everything was working pretty fantastic. And then I stopped using it for a bit and sort of forgot what was going on. I feel like I have to re-learn it. Very willing to be a co-student!

Studio One Pro latest, Macbook Pro M3 Max, 64GB. 10TB SSD. Babyface Pro audio interface. KRK VXT8 Monitors, Avantone Mixcubes, NI Maschine Jam, NI Komplete Kontrol S88, S61 and S49 and S25, Guitars, Bass. Main mic is Shure SM7db.
by Scaper7 on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:16 am
for what it's worth ... i'm having a good experience with Maschine running as a VST in Studio One

i've also had a reasonable time running it as a VST in Ableton but tbh Studio One gives a few distinct workflow options over Ableton for working with Maschine

I've just spent a year back on Ableton with the release of L11, but now returned to Studio One with the release of V6 and once again sorting out the options for working with Maschine

to this end i found these 3 NI support posts useful and the basis of how i run Maschine in S1:

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... Studio-One

my basic setup is to have a S1 folder track containing 8 instrument tracks patched to first 8 Maschine groups ... typically i'll give Group A 8 outputs into S1 mixer to split up a drum kit ... then the remaining 7 groups get a stereo output each into S1 mixer

this much is pretty straightforward to get running with the info provided in the links

*note - making no attempt to use maschine as S1 DAW controller here - just using it as VST

with this setup i can compose a number of patterns for a group (in Maschine), then drag each pattern into a separate S1 lane for that group ... then comp from those lanes to assemble a detailed edit per group, now sequenced from S1

additionally, i usually convert the results into S1 patterns and edit in the pattern editor where i can detail things, play with probability and add fills

only thing to watch out for is making sure swing settings remain constant when transferring between Mashine/S1 and pattern editor

this all works very well for me so far ... S1 def my favourite Maschine friendly DAW these days

6 posts
Page 1 of 1