5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi

I have to use a lower overall system volume, as my sound card is very loud.
So in windows sounds settings I have system volume set to 40%.
This works fine, except Studio One totally ignores this setting!
So the volume is way louder in SO.
I can set it to zero and SO still blasts at max volume.

Is there a way to make SO respect the windows system volume?

I have tried disabling "allow this device to control" etc. in windows for the audio device. No change.
Also in SO I can't select "windows audio" as device. It has to be set to the audio device specifically (it's an SSL2).
by Tacman7 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:13 am
S1 and Windows have separate audio systems.

Just like if you're in a room with two radios, one doesn't control the other one.

Windows sound system is slower than ASIO. ASIO was invented to bypass all the overhead and latency in Windows sound.

You could take your ASIO output from your interface and send it into your windows sound card, then S1 volume would change with Windows. Lot of trouble, I would just get used to using the volume controls on the interface.

I only listen to my interface but I can hear windows through it.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Vocalpoint on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:59 am
makrelguf wroteIs there a way to make SO respect the windows system volume?

I look at this the other way around and make Windows succumb to the whim and will of my Audio Interface (RME Multiface). TotalMix ensures that Windows has no bearing on anything in terms of deciding volume - other than everything under Volume Mixer (System Tray->Speaker Icon) is set by default to 100%.

If your soundcard is "too loud" - it either lacks the control necessary to put in as the primary "volume dealer" or you have something set up really wrong. (possible device contention - see below)

Maybe share some screencaps or software setting as the SSL2 looks like a nice high-end card. It should afford you some decent control of the audio routing etc.

I also just watched their Windows Setup video and it looks very straight forward - since this is USB - you should be able to set and forget the levels with the Windows Settings area as long as the card is set as your primary device.

Which leads me into my last tip I can offer - is you will get yourself into all sorts of nonsense if you have two audio devices installed (Like Windows recognizing and using a built in audio device - Realtek etc). When I build out my DAWS - I make sure ALL onboard audio devices are disabled in the BIOS before the OS is install so there is no chance of contention - ever.

My machines only ever get to see and use one device at all times. If Windows wants to play sounds or I want to hear a video from the Internet via MS Edge - it all goes into a singular audio device (RME). Studio One of course also sees this single devices and all is good.

I have never had a problem and have never allowed crappy consumer audio cards to have any place in the studio. If WIndows is telling you it sees two (Or more?) devices being recognized - consider making the SSL2 the primary (and only) device and things should be looking up.

Cheers

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:37 pm
The easy fix is probably to turn windows sound up rather than turning S1 down. Having both at similar level makes life easier. And then turn the amplifier/speakers down for a good listening level.
by makrelguf on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:14 pm
Well it's a pretty high volume audio interface (SSL2) and I mostly don't listen very loud (apartment).
With system volume on max I never raise the interface volume knob above 8-9 o clock.
Also, the interface has so nice knobs, I want to use them more than that :)
I want to turn it up physically!
"first world" problems..

My previous interface (Audient) had its own "mixer" where I could lower the global volume level.
This SSL2, as nice as it is, doesn't have this feature.
So I was hoping for some global windows setting

I'm back on 100% volume in windows for everything.
Lowered the speakers some so now both speakers and headphones are at same "pain limit" level.
I guess it's fine, just wished for more physical headroom on the knobs + less risk of too much.

btw the new beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X are very nice headphones. Just got them.
Expensive but I would say a worth it investment

Cheers

5 posts
Page 1 of 1