8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I just watched a good tutorial about setting separate tracks (outputs) for Addictive Drums 2 (in this case) from a YouTube called "Produce Like A Pro". I'm familiar with the whole thing, but puzzled why the guy rendered the separate outs to audio before applying parallel compression, etc, to those rather than to the ADD 2 separate outs? If you're not going to Export the final results to another DAW or anywhere outside your own studio, why not just do the mixing trickery to the individual ADD 2 outputs? Why bother rendering wave file channels (using the Transform function)?
Hope my question makes sense...

Thanks, GH.

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
Studio One 6.5, Latest UC driver
by shanabit on Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:32 am
Its common practice to print everything to audio before mixing

1. It provides for audio file backup in the project itself
2. Your vst drummer may go out of business or your OS and vst may have compatability issues down the road

Now imagine pulling up your project down the road and for whatever reason your vst drummer doesnt work now. Printing all to audio preserves the whole project

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by Bbd on Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:58 am
Agreed
:+1

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by GMHague on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:26 pm
shanabit wroteIts common practice to print everything to audio before mixing

1. It provides for audio file backup in the project itself
2. Your vst drummer may go out of business or your OS and vst may have compatability issues down the road

Now imagine pulling up your project down the road and for whatever reason your vst drummer doesnt work now. Printing all to audio preserves the whole project

I can certainly see those benefits, but in the short term I was wondering if there were any audio-related advantages? For example, the plugins processing wave files better than any real-time VST output? I'll agree there's a certain comfort zone working with the printed wave files. I was only curious about if there is a definitive difference, or potentially different results, between the two workflows.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Windows 11 64 bit, 12th gen i5 eight core CPU, 32GB RAM, 1810C interface, SSD drive (system) and USB SSD for audio and samples.
by shanabit on Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:03 am
Try it yourself and let us know.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by Tacman7 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:23 am
If you're writing a song and many things are changing, midi is the way to go.

You would have to destroy and re render anything you change if you went to audio at this point.

Midi can be problematic used for final mixdown, lot more things can go wrong using midi than audio.

So stability is one big reason for rendering the other is performance.

Leaving all your content in midi with fx going is way more overhead than rendered audio.

When you get done songwriting then rendering is a good way to take stock of the song.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by shanabit on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:07 pm
What Tacman7 said ^^^^

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by GMHague on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:32 pm
Thanks everyone, the consensus seems to be that in *theory* the two workflows should bring the same results, but in a more practical approach rendering to waves is a better option. I'll dabble and if anything interesting comes to note, I'll post it.

Cheers!

8 posts
Page 1 of 1