7 posts
Page 1 of 1
1: I add my device as an external instrument... including send/receive and midi channel. No issues.
2: I create an automation lane and add CC69...
3: I insert some nodes.... left click each node to add some values. If I type 1.00 it shows up as 0.79, if I type 2 it shows up as 2.36, 3 as 3.15, etc... etc...
4: If I try any other general CC number it takes the exact value I am providing.

When I add CC69 it shows as "Hold 2 on/off" on the left panel.... I assume this has something to do with it. I'm sure this is just following MIDI Specifications, but the device I am connecting to (Helix) requires CC69 values 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 to control snapshots. The fact that S1 is jumping to fraction values is causing a problem with that.

No - I cannot change the CC value on the Helix. I'm hoping there is a way in Studio One to get around this. Any suggestions?

FWIW... I still run a really old version of Studio One... but I am trying this on a current V5 demo.

Windows 10 Professional, 8 Gig Ram, Q9300 Intel 2.5G CPU, ATI 5400 Video
Firepod Interface, Studio One Artist (64 bit) V2, M-Audio Axiom 49, FaderPort
by Tacman7 on Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:30 pm
Ya, there's track automation and part automation.

I usually want part automation for the regular cc stuff in midi as well as the sound variations.

Here's where it should be and the scale to the left of the automation can be changed.

TrackAutomation.jpg

I haven't seen fractional midi numbers before, maybe the scale would change that...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by codamedia on Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:06 pm
Thanks for the reply Tacman7.... I appreciate it.
I'll look into that and see if it will work around the issue.

The fractions are strange.... it's like quantizing in reverse and only seems to happen when trying to automate CC69. You can't enter a simple whole number without it jumping to a particular fraction.

by codamedia on Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:47 am
Sadly... that didn't change anything as the same limitation is in place.

Next I tried to record the process from my Helix (the real goal).... and went through the snapshots one by one to see how they would appear. The Helix is sending CC69 with values of 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7.... but when I view the recorded parts they've all been converted to fractions and they play back incorrectly.

I should note that I can manually change these values in S1 and have it work, but I'm just finding the close enough "fractions" to trigger the right snapshot. This is fine when automating from S1 to the Helix, but it will not help when trying to record a performance from the Helix. I would need to go manually change all of the values after recording which is not ideal.

Studio One does this with "most" of the ON/OFF reservations.
CC64 - Sustain On/Off
CC65 - Portamento On/Off
CC66 - Sustenuto On/Off
CC67 - Soft Pedal On/Off
CC69 - Hold 2 On/Off (the one I need)

Oddly, it does not do this with CC68 (Legato On/Off) or any of any of the other CC numbers.

by Tacman7 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:25 am
Yeah any value over 50% would set a switch type parameter.

Looks interesting:
https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/midi

Or google helix midi problem, lot of results from line 6.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by codamedia on Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:25 am
The value is wonky without getting near 50% ... even an entry of 1.00 becomes 0.79 on Studio One and 2.00 become 2.36.... 3.00 become 3.15.....

I think Line 6 made a fatal flaw when they took a normally reserved CC# function to use it for some proprietary... and Studio one likely takes those reservations seriously.

It does work with other devices.... I can program a midi controller to do it no problem, I just can't get Studio One to send the correct value. Well... actually I can with a work around, but it would be nicer if I could just get it to work as it should.

I appreciate your help on this Tacman7.....
I submitted a ticket to Presonus to see if this is intended behavior.... if so, it is what it is.

by darrelltimberlake1 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:07 am
You need to change the range value from percent to midi. Then the whole numbers are input correctly. This can only be done with part automation. Otherwise the corresponding numbers are:

0 = snapshot 1
0.79 = snapshot 2
1.57 = snapshot 3
2.36 = snapshot 4

Cheers!

7 posts
Page 1 of 1