8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Morning, all

I should know the answer but...

I am using Xpand!2 assigned to 4 tracks (ie. Part A (ch1) -> Track 1, Part B (ch2) -> Track 2, etc). What I want to do is to have Tracks 1-4 outputting on Channels 1-4 - however, I can't actually find a way to do it. :roll:

Please can someone point me in the right direction?

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Tacman7 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:47 am
Yes there's a button in the top center of a plugin if it is multitimbral. It's a vertical bar with arrow to the right.

Turn on as many audio channels as you want and assign instruments to different audio outputs inside the plugin structure.

audio channels.JPG

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Jemusic on Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:27 am
Expand2 does not allow multiple outputs to be sent from parts live in real time. It's all on a stereo output. The 4 parts are mixed internally. The best you can do is create the 4 parts on their respective midi channels, but do 4 transfers into audio for each midi channel with the others muted. At least then you will have separate audio channels to work with for production.

I tend to use it layer up to 4 sounds at once. Think of it as 4 stereo oscillators.

You can also setup 4 (or any number) instances of Expand 2 with just one sound on each. Set all 4 parts within a single instance to the one midi channel and layer up to 4 sounds per midi channel. Put 4 bass sounds together in various amounts to create really powerful single bass sounds. You can pan these layers which will spread the 4 layers out. Tweak the effects in for some slight extra colour. Fine tune the Smart knobs for each channel to refine the overall sound. You can fine tune the tuning for each layer too creating some gentle beating and detuning fatness. You use the same sound on two or three layers and just adjust their fine tune and pan positions for a wider sound.

Set each instance fo a different midi channel for multi timbral operation with live separate outputs now for live production.

Put the multiple instances of Expand 2 into a folder as well for neatness with only one track in the arrange window.

Your cpu should handle 8 or 10 instances of Expand 2 with ease.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Steve Carter on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:25 pm
Sorry to hijack the thread but I’ve had to stop using Expand2 because the presets I call up never get saved with the song and on reopening a song the instrument plug-in has reverted to its default setting each time! Anyone else?
by Jemusic on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:46 am
This sometimes happens. I think if you tweak/create a preset in Expand2 or many other virtual synths you are best to save the preset at least within the synth itself. And make a note in your session what it is if you have to manually call it up again.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by leosutherland on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:31 am
Tacman7 wroteYes there's a button in the top center of a plugin if it is multitimbral. It's a vertical bar with arrow to the right.

Turn on as many audio channels as you want and assign instruments to different audio outputs inside the plugin structure.

Hi Jeff

Yeah, now I remember that - I knew I knew that :thumbup:

Jemusic wroteExpand2 does not allow multiple outputs to be sent from parts live in real time. It's all on a stereo output. The 4 parts are mixed internally. The best you can do is create the 4 parts on their respective midi channels, but do 4 transfers into audio for each midi channel with the others muted. At least then you will have separate audio channels to work with for production.

OK, that makes sense. Bit of shame, that, but I guess it IS an old product. The way I set up on 4 tracks allows me to control the 4 separate parts, however, if I want to use external FX differently on each part, then I need to have the different parts played by different instances of Xpand!2 because then they would be on different channels.

Jemusic wroteI tend to use it layer up to 4 sounds at once. Think of it as 4 stereo oscillators.

You can also setup 4 (or any number) instances of Expand 2 with just one sound on each. Set all 4 parts within a single instance to the one midi channel and layer up to 4 sounds per midi channel. Put 4 bass sounds together in various amounts to create really powerful single bass sounds. You can pan these layers which will spread the 4 layers out. Tweak the effects in for some slight extra colour. Fine tune the Smart knobs for each channel to refine the overall sound. You can fine tune the tuning for each layer too creating some gentle beating and detuning fatness. You use the same sound on two or three layers and just adjust their fine tune and pan positions for a wider sound.

Yeah, up to this point that is how I've been doing it. I thought I'd try using it as a multi instrument this time. Now I know better. ;)

Cheers mate :thumbup:

...said Halo

Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by Tacman7 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:10 am
Just making sure we all on same page.

I'm just a regular, everyday, normal moderator.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by leosutherland on Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:47 am
Tacman7 wroteJust making sure we all on same page.

I'm just a regular, everyday, normal moderator.

Er, que? :?

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1