5 posts
Page 1 of 1
All

First - some context - I've been rocking an RME Multiface (PCI) for so many years that I cannot even remember (let's go with 2008). The Multiface (while still rock solid) is starting to show it's age in terms of PC connectivity (the old PCI card interface) and in parallel - I really need to unify my main hardware and clean out a bunch of old crap like a very old Mackie 1604VLZ that has been here just as long as the RME.

The Mackie serves no purpose now - except to act as a patch bay (several analog device connected sent back to the RME via the 1604VLZ sub mix out connections) and to drive the external monitors. I want the rack space back but at the same time really need to maintain the extra analog I/O and of course monitor cleanly...read on.

As a proud Presonus user (Studio One, Eris monitoring, an ATOM and recently the new Revelator mic ) - it's logical that a new Presonus interface solution would tie this all together nicely. I am currently eyeballing the 1824c - which gives me pretty much everything the RME does - but in a nice modern package.

Now - while thinking about ditching the Mackie (but somehow keeping the I/O) I must admit I had a huge "ah-ha" moment as finally (after all these years) dug in deep on ADAT connectivity.

I have never really taken the time to understand what it was about until now - which basically looks like I can (should?) keep the RME in play and while adding its 8 existing analog inputs into a potential new Presonus solution via ADAT.

The big questions I have is how to get these two interfaces to talk to one another in the most efficient manner. Assuming a new Presonus interface the way forward:

1. Is it as simple as just stringing an optical cable from the RME (ADAT Out) to the Presonus (ADAT IN), turning the RME on and the Presonus will suddenly "see" these 8 new ADAT inputs?

2. Do I need to continue to have the RME fully setup on my main machine (including Drivers, PCI card, TotalMix FX etc) and perform some specific process to make the Multiface "available" as an ADAT source?

3. Some other setup that I am really not getting?

Appreciate any info on this especially if you have added another ADAT enabled device (ideally from a third party) to a known Presonus audio interface.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by stefanrauch1 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:52 am
It's just my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt... but stay with RME drivers and maybe add Presonus ADAT Extensions to that, rather than the other way around.
In all my history with interfaces (20+ years) the Fireface UFXII (my first RME Interface) gave me the least amount of grief so far of all of them. Was always of the opinion, the prices were not justified but I stand corrected and glad I took the step up from a Presonus Studio 192.

OS: Win10 x64 || Software: Studio One Pro [latest version]
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
Audio Settings: 44,1/48kHz, 256 Samples, DP Off, 64 Bit
by Vocalpoint on Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:19 pm
stefanrauch1 wroteIt's just my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt... but stay with RME drivers and maybe add Presonus ADAT Extensions to that, rather than the other way around.
In all my history with interfaces (20+ years) the Fireface UFXII (my first RME Interface) gave me the least amount of grief so far of all of them. Was always of the opinion, the prices were not justified but I stand corrected and glad I took the step up from a Presonus Studio 192.

Appreciate the input - and I hear ya. The RME has never let me down and is by far - the most reliable piece of gear I have ever used - however - the budget for a new RME is simply not there.

I am in Canada - prices here are ridiculous when compared to the US. Can't justify the cost.

But I do need to make some moves in the studio here and get things cleaned up (like the Mackie) and get current. My needs are not extensive and I could probably make due with a simple 2 in 2 out desktop interface but I do need to have these extra analog outs available as required.

The only "small" (affordable) package that I see out there with ADAT is of course from RME (Babyface Pro FS). Might need to take a look there.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by j0001s on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:10 pm
As long as your RME can act as a standalone ADAT converter, you should be able to hook it up to the Presonus ADAT. I have a Steinberg MR816, and use it exactly that way with my Presonus Quantum.
by garyanderson5 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:57 pm
Vocalpoint wrote
stefanrauch1 wroteIt's just my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt... but stay with RME drivers and maybe add Presonus ADAT Extensions to that, rather than the other way around.

Appreciate the input - and I hear ya. The RME has never let me down and is by far - the most reliable piece of gear I have ever used - however - the budget for a new RME is simply not there.

I am in Canada - prices here are ridiculous when compared to the US. Can't justify the cost.

But I do need to make some moves in the studio here and get things cleaned up (like the Mackie) and get current. My needs are not extensive and I could probably make due with a simple 2 in 2 out desktop interface but I do need to have these extra analog outs available as required.

The only "small" (affordable) package that I see out there with ADAT is of course from RME (Babyface Pro FS). Might need to take a look there.

Cheers!

VP

I down sized to the Babyface Pro FS about 6 month ago, i don't really record any more and i am totaly ITB now. It's a cracking little interface and the drivers are rock solid. The sound is very detailed on them and it serves my needs very well. I run ADAT out into my external Streamer or DAC for HIFI play back referencing but you can easily add mic pre's or a DAC etc onto it.

The latency is as close to Thunderbolt as it gets via USB to the point it's not worth losing sleep over. It is a bit underwelming at first when you open the box but after a while you see why there worth the money they ask for them. I can work at 64-128 samples all day long while creating and it never misses a beat. Adding onto an RME like stefanrauch1 says is the better solution IMO.

You would have to jump upto Prysm quality to edge out over the new Baby Face Pro FS and even then it's diminished returns for a huge price difference. Just my opinion ofc :)

You have to set the RME to ADAT out then select ADAT in on what ever it's connected to. Wack the cable in and yes it's that simple. You get ADAT or SPDIF. You will get full ADAT channels upto 48k but as soon as you work at higher sample rates it halfs the channels as you go up higher. Working or playing back at 192k reduces the full ADAT channels to a single pair wich is normal. The RME actually reduces the channels in Total Mix to reflect what's available automaticly so it's kind of hard to pick the wrong channel in Total Mix. It's a fairly easy process to set up. Total Mix can be a bit fiddley at first but it's powerfull for connectivity and routing when you get your head round it.

If you do use ADAT and two devices it's not much harder than connecting a sound card to a external mixer. You need both powerd up and a cable connection of some sort. Wich one you have first in the chain is upto you If both devices come with drivers as in there both interfaces. You can just change driver in S1 and use what ever you want. You would have to swop monitor cables over though to either interface etc and change from ADAT in or out back to 1/2 Main out or add a monitor controller etc.

I can listen to my external DAC while it's connected to my RME via ADAT for example even while it's still set to ADAT out as long as I use a USB connection and switch to the ASIO driver that comes with the DAC in S1 and have my monitors connected to the DAC.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,

5 posts
Page 1 of 1