5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've recently experienced the joys of setting up an Aux Channel for a MIDI External Device, in this case a Korg M3 workstation with onboard sounds I want the Aux Channel to control the volume and pan for so that I can hear how the M3 sounds in the mix without committing tracks to audio.

While the pan control seems to work fine, something is amiss with the volume control. What happens is I can reduce or raise the volume using the slider; however, I can't turn the volume all the way off with either the fader all the way down or the Mute button on. There seems to be some sort of loopback going on.

Any ideas what I could check to rectify this would be greatly appreciated.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by MisterE on Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 pm
Uh, have I come up with a completely unique problem no one else has ever experienced? :)

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Tacman7 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:04 pm
If the M3 is only plugged into the interface in that one place which goes to the aux channel...

Muting that channel should stop you from hearing the M3.

If that's not true then you have something else going on.

How do you monitor? Through the interface? Does the M3 have speakers?

Just trying to think where the sound could be coming from.

Does your interface have zero latency architecture?

So that's just sending the input right back to the output so you hear the input sans latency.

That could be a source of the signal if your interface has those settings in its control software.

That or sends is all I can think of.

I would start a new song and add an aux channel and try it again and see if it mutes the incoming sound.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by MisterE on Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:02 pm
Let me first say that I have a super simple setup, just one External Instrument (Korg M3 synth workstation) which is also my VSTI controller. One USB cable directly from M3 to PC. No built-in speakers on the M3. Just one L/R pair of audio outputs engaged.

Regarding monitoring, direct monitoring, and zero latency monitoring, I've always been a little fuzzy about what's going on -- although there is definitely an Input 1-2 Direct Monitor knob on my Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface. The M3 is plugged into those Inputs 1 and 2.

A stereo pair for them is set up in Audio I/O setup of S1 Song Setup.

This Direct Monitor knob has always been a little mysterious; if my recordings weren't coming out well with next to no latency for audio, VSTIs, and M3 sounds (I've recently replaced my PC which used an older version of S1), I would have learned more about it, but I've just kept that knob at 12 o'clock.

There is also a Monitor knob which seems to be an overall volume control. I don't know that Mackie advertised "zero latency;" however the Blackbird still ranks in the top third of low latency interfaces on the long-running Tafkat thread on Gearspace. The Mackie has Blackbird Control software.

One clue is that with Mute on, I can't control the volume of the Aux Channel at all, while with Mute off, I can control the volume to a certain extent, although as previously noted, it doesn't come close to zeroing. 

What's also a little inexplicable, at least to me, is that I can't zero the volume on the Blackbird Control either; muting channels 1-2 there doesn't work!

I don't want to prematurely judge S1 5's implementation of External Instruments and Aux Channels, but I can unequivocally state that setting it up is not a no-brainer. ;)

by MisterE on Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:37 pm
Solved! Finally.

In case anyone's reading this to troubleshoot running interfaces which have discontinued Win7 drivers and/or software in Win10 and later, the solution was running the Blackbird Control software in compatibility mode!

In retrospect, that seems like a troubleshooting step that myself and other experienced troubleshooters on several forums should have thought of sooner... but it's hard to be cool all the time!

5 posts
Page 1 of 1