10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there, new user here recently moved over from Cubase. I love Cubase, but it's beginning to show it's age and S1 feels snappy and modern.

My favourite aspect of working with Cubase is called Parts. I can select multiple overlaying Audio Events on an Audio Track and create a 'Part' (pic attached) - double-clicking into this part shows all the contained Audio Events, stacked vertically. I can then choose which contained Event I want to be played when the playhead moves over the Part (pic attached). This is essentially like COMPING but on an Event-by-Event basis, rather than on a Track-by-Track basis.

Is there a way to do this in S1?

Many thanks!

Attachments
Inside the part.png
Part on the timeline.png
by Tacman7 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:54 am
Welcome to the Forum!

Seems like you could pretty much use comp to do what you want.

Impact is a sample player right? Can you put the audio on the pads?

They would need to be saved as individual files but they already are if they were bounced they would be in the bounce folder. Worth a try.

You would call the sounds with midi notes on the track, or live play. Lot of You Tube vids about how to use Impact.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by snb1 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:22 pm
Yes, just use the (move event to new layer) command for whatever event you specify, then use the (Expand layers) command to see all the events.

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by lukehemmings2 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:08 pm
Thanks, but this doesn't quite solve my issue. The problem with layers is that I have to switch all the track content at once, when I only want to cycle through samples per event. The Impact workflow does solve the issue, but it does feel like a workaround for what is a very useful feature in Cubase.

Studio One Pro 5 - PreSonus Sphere
Studio Computer - MacBook Pro 2019 "16
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 / 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 / 32 GB / 2TB SSD
Interface : M-Audio M-Track 2X2
by robertgray3 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:36 pm
lukehemmings2 wroteThanks, but this doesn't quite solve my issue. The problem with layers is that I have to switch all the track content at once, when I only want to cycle through samples per event. The Impact workflow does solve the issue, but it does feel like a workaround for what is a very useful feature in Cubase.

There are only ways to approximate that feature in Cubase. One way is to select the event and hold Alt while moving the mouse wheel. Or use ALT+G or ALT+H. It will allow you to cycle through layers just for that event.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by snb1 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:39 pm
robertgray3 wrote
lukehemmings2 wroteThanks, but this doesn't quite solve my issue. The problem with layers is that I have to switch all the track content at once, when I only want to cycle through samples per event. The Impact workflow does solve the issue, but it does feel like a workaround for what is a very useful feature in Cubase.

There are only ways to approximate that feature in Cubase. One way is to select the event and hold Alt while moving the mouse wheel. Or use ALT+G or ALT+H. It will allow you to cycle through layers just for that event.

He wants to cycle through the layer content on the events which studio one doesn't have a way to cycle through those, just the layers on the tracks themselves.

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by robertgray3 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:59 pm
Did you try what I suggested? Switches layers on a per event basis.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by snb1 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:27 pm
robertgray3 wroteDid you try what I suggested? Switches layers on a per event basis.

Yeah, unfortunately it switches layers on a per track basis not event.

SkipNo Beet
by lukehemmings2 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:23 am
There's a command 'Replace Event with Next Layer' which sounds like it would do the trick, but the process is very buggy and not at all intuitive; I have to first cycle through the layers a bit before the command actually starts to work and when it does, the length of the events have to be exactly equal in order for the layers to swap seamlessly.

So far the best option is still the Impact workflow, just loading samples into a pad and flicking between them using MIDI, but the main annoyance with that is I now can't see the waveforms on the timeline, which is very helpful for my process.

Studio One Pro 5 - PreSonus Sphere
Studio Computer - MacBook Pro 2019 "16
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 / 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 / 32 GB / 2TB SSD
Interface : M-Audio M-Track 2X2
by Lokeyfly on Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:10 am
The Impact workaround is a good one, and I get your point about not seeing the waveform. I think you should feature request this. You'd get a lot of votes including mine.

Currently, I Alt + drag to a new track. Then mute (mute tool) the event(s). You could feasibly have numerous events "parts" on that track. That keeps the waveform view but mutes the event. It's not like I'm going to view eight different layers so it's pretty functional for my needs.

Another workaround might actually be to comp by creating the layers yourself. Then selecting the layer to play within that comp. So you're not promoting any segments of a layer, just simply selecting which whole layer to play. You can create comps manually pretty easily. Yes, it would be by track, but might fit your needs.

Either way, you'd still see the whole waveform as Impact would be a pad select non visible hit or miss.

Give that a shot. Otherwise FR it. :thumbup:

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

10 posts
Page 1 of 1