9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I created my first track containing Automation data - Expression and Modulation.
It works as intended.

But when I used the smart tool to copy the data to another track (select, then drag and drop), the data seemed to be copied, but on playback the Expression and Modulation is not working.
It's like the Automation data is being ignored.

Screenshot (18).png

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks

CPU Intel octocore i7 9700
GPU NVIDIA GTX 1660
16 GB Ram
Windows 10 Home edition
Studio One 5
by Tacman7 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:52 am
I'm not sure how midi combined with track delay effects midi but I would think it would have to.

You are pushing that track 80ms into the future. I have to have latency of 5ms, any more and I can't track to it.

So 80 is a lot. Well see if it starts sending automation if you remove the negative delay.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Bach7 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:50 pm
Tacman7 wroteI'm not sure how midi combined with track delay effects midi but I would think it would have to.

You are pushing that track 80ms into the future. I have to have latency of 5ms, any more and I can't track to it.

So 80 is a lot. Well see if it starts sending automation if you remove the negative delay.

Track 4 (with the -80ms delay) is working fine and the automation is perfect.

The problem is with Track 5 (which has no delay) - see screenshot.
Track 5 is the copied MIDI data.
Even though the automation data was copied with it, it's not playing back and the expression
and modulation are static - not following the curves.

Screenshot (19).png

GPU NVIDIA GTX 1660
16 GB Ram
Windows 10 Home edition
Studio One 5
by Tacman7 on Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:04 pm
Okay, I'm looking at your picture and track 5 has a blue line going through it.

That line looks like it's about 3/4 of the way to the top so should be in the 75% value.

Looking at the parameter I see it's 72% so that looks like it's reading that ok.

It was supposed to have other values copied to the track? You have to have the parameter showing for it work? How many parameters was pasted?

In track options is a setting "Automation follows Events" not sure if you have that set already.

Good to brush up on those options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcUem3U8_LE

What is your workflow? If I can I like to copy measures in arrange view, you get everything that way.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Bach7 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:58 pm
Tacman7 wroteOkay, I'm looking at your picture and track 5 has a blue line going through it.

That line looks like it's about 3/4 of the way to the top so should be in the 75% value.

Looking at the parameter I see it's 72% so that looks like it's reading that ok.

It was supposed to have other values copied to the track? You have to have the parameter showing for it work? How many parameters was pasted?

In track options is a setting "Automation follows Events" not sure if you have that set already.

Good to brush up on those options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcUem3U8_LE

What is your workflow? If I can I like to copy measures in arrange view, you get everything that way.

Great questions!
Yes, I have the default "Automation follows Events" checked.

The blue line in Track 5 is the problem.
It's keeping the expression static at 72%.
This is not what I want.
You can see the faded wavy lines in the background.
Those lines are the expression and modulation which I copied from Track 4 using the smart tool to select and then drag to the track below.

I don't know how to delete the blue line of expression at 72% and to engage the wavy expression lines which are in the background.

Since Track 4 is working as intended, is there a way to copy the automation setup, so I don't end up with my current situation?

I just tried copying the whole track with Duplicate Track (complete),
and created a new Track 5.
However although the automation data for expression and modulation is seen behind the MIDI notes, it's not functional.
Screenshot (21).png

If I add expression and modulation automation, it puts in a flat blue line for each at zero, ignoring existing data.

I appreciate your help with this.

GPU NVIDIA GTX 1660
16 GB Ram
Windows 10 Home edition
Studio One 5
by Tacman7 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:16 pm
Looks like the data is there but there's no lane for it?

If you create lanes for those parameters does it show up in edit view?

If you double click the event it will show up in the editor, I thought it would make lanes for data...

If you click the plus below the editor it will show the cc parameters like velocity. Is your data in one of the tabs?

The blue line represents the current value of the parameter (when the timeline hits it), you change it by adding nodes, Double click on the line to add a node then you can drag it around.

Forum Moderator.

by Bach7 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:03 pm
Tacman7 wroteLooks like the data is there but there's no lane for it?

If you create lanes for those parameters does it show up in edit view?

If you double click the event it will show up in the editor, I thought it would make lanes for data...

If you click the plus below the editor it will show the cc parameters like velocity. Is your data in one of the tabs?

The blue line represents the current value of the parameter (when the timeline hits it), you change it by adding nodes, Double click on the line to add a node then you can drag it around.

Yes, there is no lane for it.
And if I create an automation lane, it ignores the existing data, so that you have to enter it all from scratch.

The edit view shows no MIDI cc data.
This is because the automation lanes are separate from this.
They are two different systems.
If I had entered the data as MIDI cc data, it would probably be functional,
however I would prefer to use the automation lanes method if it's possible to copy it.

And yes, I know that I can edit the blue line, but then I would have to recreate the modulation and expression data from scratch.
I would rather find a way to copy it, as I have about 20 tracks to do, and this is just my first song...
If I can figure out this one step, it will save me many hours of tedious work.

GPU NVIDIA GTX 1660
16 GB Ram
Windows 10 Home edition
Studio One 5
by Tacman7 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:47 am
I tried adding a couple of parameters to a track then copy complete.

Seemed to work but I had to turn on the read button on the new track before it started following the data.

automationParm3.jpg

Forum Moderator.

by Bach7 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:27 pm
Tacman7 wroteI tried adding a couple of parameters to a track then copy complete.

Seemed to work but I had to turn on the read button on the new track before it started following the data.

automationParm3.jpg

Thanks for going to this effort Tacman. :)

It seems to me that the Automation Data only works with the instrument it was originally entered with.
If you change the instrument on that track, it seems unable to recognize the data. :(

I would be happy if you can prove me wrong, but it appears you are using the same instrument in your duplicated track.

I think I will have to enter MIDI modulation data directly in the EDIT section (the old fashioned way), because I will be often transferring this data to other instruments.

GPU NVIDIA GTX 1660
16 GB Ram
Windows 10 Home edition
Studio One 5

9 posts
Page 1 of 1